What's new

***Official TPM Audio thread (Lasderdisc comparison, Volume probs, charts, etc) (1 Viewer)

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched the DVD, twice. while the volume level is disturbingly low initially, all I did was turn it up. HOLY SHIT! My sub has never worked that hard before. I can't imagine the LD being any better. I felt giddy after watching the movie.
------------------
Women are often attracted to men with money and power. I have neither, and they know it.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
The channel blending on this is perfect. I have never heard anything better.
Exactly. As someone else mentioned, the seamless blending causes the mix to seem 'dull' at first, because we are used to cheezy engineers who produce 'effects' that jump out at you.
But - when have we ever seen universal acclaim for something subtle ?

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>The dynamic range of the DVD has been dramatically reduced. This is so it can fit into an Alpha case.<
Adam,
actually, the extra dynamic range has been crammed into the black bars and can be obtained only if you have a 16:9 enhanced receiver.
Marty

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Receivers have volume knobs for a reason.
I sampled the EPISODE I DVD last night and I was very impressed with it.
Granted, I had to turn my volume up 3 clicks higher than I normally do...but the results were fantastic.
This is a DEMO disc, hands down.
------------------
LuvLBX

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The DVD sounds correct and the LD sounds like an amatuer chef that had watched too many Emeril episodes was in the kitchen and had tried to "kick it up a notch" causing the LFE track on the LD to be all but unusable.
The DVD is by far the superior sounding track.
The image leaves a bit to be desired but the audio track is reference material.
Mike

Hubert

Second Unit
WOW! I think some of you need to tweak your equipment, because this track is phenomemal. I think it's perfect. Best DD track I've heard so far. The LD is just way too loud and mixed way too high. So much so that it sounds artificial. This sounds natural and perfectly balanced. The bass from the DVD on my system is thunderous and tight.
I'm shocked!

rajiv

Stunt Coordinator
Not to change the subject, but did any of you folks notice the significant edge enhancement or was it simply the picture being a little soft?
Rajiv...

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
According to DTS:
Dolby Digital also provides a "stereo downmixing" feature as a substitute for a dedicated stereo mix. However, many production engineers have admitted that they often have to modify the original 5.1 mixes in order to attain acceptable stereo downmixes. Therefore, the 5.1 mix on many Dolby Digital DVDs may differ from the original master.
hum???????????????????????????????????????

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Mario - It is soooo funny that the DTS followers are so quick to point out that Dolby is a competitor when they make claims of flaws in the DTS encoder. Now when DTS makes such a claim you use it.
Hmmmmmmmmmm......
Seems the DTS followers will believe anything DTS tells them.

Mario_C

Stunt Coordinator
Maynard:
I was being sarcastic! Sorry you missed it!
[Edited last by Mario_C on October 16, 2001 at 12:02 PM]

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Oooppppsss...
Sorry...
blush.gif

[Edited last by Chris Maynard on October 16, 2001 at 12:20 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The DVD sounds correct and the LD sounds like an amatuer chef that had watched too many Emeril episodes was in the kitchen and had tried to "kick it up a notch" causing the LFE track on the LD to be all but unusable.
As I said earlier in this (or one of the other dozen TPM threads): this is exactly how it sounded to me when I saw it at the Mann Village and Mann Chinese (the two that had lines in L.A. for weeks ahead of time), as well as the two digital screenings in Burbank and Winnetka. At no point was TPM "cranked up" at the theater. That's what shocked me each time I saw it in a different place. I was ready to be blown back into my seat by some overcranked audio, and never was. It was a very dynamic yet controlled sound each time I saw it, unlike JP: Lost World DTS in Pasadena, where I think my ears started bleeding about 1/2 way through it.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
I was initially disappointed with the sound of the TPM DVD not because of any technical deficiency but because of my expectations.
I really, really wanted to be knocked off the sofa by the opening Star Wars theme, and I wasn't. I've always thought that was Lucas' intent: to have that wonderful theme blast you into space after the quiet intro of "A long time ago..." That just didn't happen on the DVD (and I did have my system appropriately cranked).
So it was my expectation that led to my initial disappointment. The soundtrack sounds just fine now that I've listened to it again. I wish that the mix didn't push John Williams' score to the background as much as it does, but there go my expectations again.
I'd love to see Lucas & 20th Century release a DTS version as a result of threads like this. Not gonna happen, but I'd still love it!
biggrin.gif

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I really, really wanted to be knocked off the sofa by the opening Star Wars theme, and I wasn't. I've always thought that was Lucas' intent: to have that wonderful theme blast you into space after the quiet intro of "A long time ago..." That just didn't happen on the DVD (and I did have my system appropriately cranked).
Actually, the Jedi ship is where you get knocked off the sofa.
The sound of this disc is smoother than the laserdisc. The LD is more abrasive. The only caveat I have is the volume level. My receiver range is -80 to +12. I watched the LD at -18 to -20 and it was loud. The DVD was at -15 and it wasn't as loud as the LD at -20. That's at least 5 db headroom that my receiver loses because of the mastering level. Hopefully though, the receiver works as hard at -15 with the DVD as it did at -20 with the LD.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Ok time for me to chime in. I just compared the DVD against the LD and no doubt on my dual SVS's 6.1 system the LD is superior. I am not saying the dvd is "bad" because it is a different mix and also sounds great, prob one of the best if not the best DD on DVD. In my opinion I agree with the others here who stated the LD audio-wise is superior and will still use it when doing demos or to hear my SVS's purrrrr. As for the rest of the DVD.....picture is good but I did expect better. EE is visible and some scenes seemed a tad "soft". The menus are great and the deleted scenes are the best ever. Overall a fantastic DVD package especially for the price 2 thumbs up!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Addressing the softness issue in certain scenes - I noticed it in the Jedi council scenes. Listening to the audio commentary explains the look was done intentionally with the intent of causing a light wrap or glow around the characters. Whatever thier intent was I find it annoying to the point of wanting to adjust the picture settings.
Is this where everyone else is noticing the softness or are there other scenes?
As for EE, with my projector I can nicely eliminate it but on my 27" Sony it is visible. Personally I don't find it that distracting.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Peter_A

Second Unit
Well I just watched it and it's very well done. I never heard the LD so I can't compare it to that. Does it take over for SPR(DTS) or Gladiator(DTS) as the best soundtrack on DVD? Not even close. Both those tracks are much more in your face and, hate to use this word, dynamic.
But in the end, who really cares? At least we finally got some Star Wars on DVD.
------------------
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks