What's new

***Official TPM Audio thread (Lasderdisc comparison, Volume probs, charts, etc) (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
People might think I'm off my rocker, but I would swear that they used a different mix on the DVD.... Certain aspects of the audio seem to be missing to me or the decibels are a heck of a lot lower....
The Laser disc was very close to the theatrical run, but the dvd just sounds different.....
The light sabers don't sound right.... Almost as if they went back and remixed the effects.....
I have a somewhat decent system, and can push reference levels cleanly....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email:
[email protected]

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I find the use of the word "dynamic" used in this particular context to be a bit funny. Everyone is
saying the LD is louder than the DVD, so by that very definition of Digital audio the Laserdisc would
actually have less headroom for dynamics.
Bingo!
Those of you who compare the theatrical sound to the home,and thinking that is the defacto[theatrical],you cutting yourself short.
The home enviroment and equipments,are better in most cases[average or above,not HTIB'S],so the so called original theatrical track aren't the best IMO.
The so called "nearfield" mixes are the way to go,if they're done right[most of New Line's discs],and there are more filmakers who reckognise this fact.
I don't have the DVD yet,but Lucasfilm already said that it is indeed a different mix the what was used on the LD[which I used to own].
Unfortunately,my equipment has changed[for the better] since I sold the LD so my comparison would be flawed.
Can't wait to get the DVD though.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
I will have the DVD any day now, maybe even today. Since i still have the LD, i will do a comprehensive LD, DVD shootout with analysis, graphs, etc.
That will only proove whether there are level or dynamic difference in the 2 mixes. It will of course not proove which one sound better TO YOU.
Other than that: What Vince said!
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I never listened to the LD, but I must say the DVD has a HUGE amount of bass. The overall volume is kinda low, but people here say the DVD has -3 dialnorm, so I adjust the volume +3, and the bass is just as loud as Toy Story 2 or Jurassic Park DTS (the corrected version).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My guess is the LD was a direct dump of the Theatrical track and the DVD is a specially remixed for home theater. Phil A brought the LD to my house for a meet once and we watched the pod race. It was very damn impressive. I'm looking forward to the DVD.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Come on people!
First, everyone complains that Star Wars isn't on DVD at all, and when they give us a full-blown, great SE you start complaining about the sound (which is terrific, if you ask me). I'm starting to understand Lucas. He couldn't do it right, could he? You would always find something to complain about...
Mathias

Graham Perks

Second Unit
I've never heard the LD, and I don't plan on buying the DVD, but this thread makes me laugh.
Lucasfilm jacks with the video of the Star Wars films, add scenes, change others, insert CGI into the background, and so on. Do you really think they'd leave the audio alone?
I would have been surprised if the LD and DVD audio had been the SAME!
Probably the next print run of the DVD will sound different again :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
...I have a Pioneer DVL-700 Combi player into a Yamaha receiver and when I cranked up my sound...it was awesome...except that I didn't have a demodulator and all I was hearing was Pro Logic Surround Enhanced. I wonder what it would have sounded like with a demodulator to hear the DD 5.1 EX sound thru my receiver???

Gruson

Second Unit
I am glad there are others out there that do agree with me.
The Ep.1 LD has always been known as a reference audio disc and now it's overcooked?! Come on!
I will admit the DVD is damn good. I even listened to it again last night and was pretty impressed. However, when I play the LD, I am blown away (not just by the LFE channel either). Love it!
Anyway, if you prefer the LD or the DVD, enjoy it!! That is what it is all about.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I am not saying that the LD blows the dvd away....
I'm just saying it sounds different to my ears.....
Tonight I will spin the LD and report back my findings.
I am interested to know what Dan Brecher feels about this???
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email:
[email protected]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Steve, have a browse in one of the other Episode 1 threads; Dan has posted his opinions a few times now. As I understand it, they sound as good as each other in their own way, but if you know his setup you'll be aware that he can't run at reference or really push the bass most of the time due to neighbours, so both require him to fiddle with amp settings to be comfortable (sending some bass to the mains in the case of the DVD, and turning down the sub for the LD). Care to add anything I missed, Dan?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
To an extent, the feelings Steve and I share about the DVD in comparison to the LD are somewhat the same. We definately agree they sound different, wether Steve feels that this makes the DVD's 5.1 any less impressive I do not know however....
Since this is becoming the main thread on discussion about the LD vs the DVD, I might as well go against my word and say again here what I've said in other threads.
I do indeed send LFE to my mains, in my room it helps balance out the distribution of bass better. On the LD, after turning down the sub levels 3 or 4db, I get a very even presentation. What the DVD seems to deny me, at the same calibrated levels, is this even distribution up front for LFE in my mains. I highlighted a scene near the opening when Obi and Qui Gon walk into the trade federation ship hallway. On the LD my main speakers carry heavy bass of the big doors closing and locking behind them, the DVD lacks this and there's more examples throughout the movie.
Other then bass issues, I generally miss the overal volume of the LD in its presentation of the music score. Run the Flag parade sequence on the DVD and the LD and the music has far more presence on the laser....wether this is down to them re-working the actual flag parade scene for the DVD release I don't know.
The DVD, to me, is lacking in the more subtle elements of LFE if you will. With tweaking, I can get the DVD to sound a little bit more even in the LFE department, but the fact I am required to tweak my HT for one disc bugs me somewhat, regardless, it does not bug me enough to trash the disc into oblivion and deem it no match for the LD in its performance. A good mix is a good mix, and the DVD still delivers with exceptional quality.
I'm keeping the LD, had decided to even before obtaining the DVD. I spent far too much time and money in trying to get it, it's a nice keepsake. At some point Iain, pop on over to mine and we will run a comparison.
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 11, 2001 at 11:43 AM]

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
First, everyone complains that Star Wars isn't on DVD at all, and when they give us a full-blown, great SE you start complaining about the sound...
And you were expecting something different from the people here ???
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Shawn S

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Don't knock it Shawn, I've made good money from betting on the ranting prior to any of us obtaining the DVD... Didn't put money on myself mind you...
biggrin.gif

Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on October 11, 2001 at 11:46 AM]

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
OK - finally snagged a copy of this.
Still have my LD - I have played the Jedi duels over and over and as a result know the soundtrack intimately - and will do a comparison tonight.
As to whether the LD was overcooked or not - this was the only movie - DVD or LD - where I had to back off on the bass by 3db to prevent my sub (a 20-39 PC SVS) from bottoming out.
Others have mentioned doing the same.
Can't wait till I get home from work!
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

Shane Acker

Agent
I haven't heard the laserdisc or the DVD yet but I seem to remember the theatrical presentation (in a THX theater, with a grain of salt) to be very balanced. It was very loud especially in the bottom end but even my wife noticed how very legible everything was sound wise even in some of the more exciting/fast scenes.
I do imagine that a different mix was used. Isn't this the case on every single DVD we collectively own. Home presentations are going to be a little different. Thats why we are into home theater. Isn't it?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
OK - here's my 2 cents worth on the audio from the DVD vs the LD.
IF the DVD is taken as reference quality ie 10 then the LD is the Spinal Tap counterpart where everything is turned up to 11.
Which one you will like better is a personal preference.
The LD definitely has more going on in the LFE department.
OTOH the DVD is a much more balanced mix with much better imaging due to better channel separation.
Cranking up the DVD sounded very good to me. I'll take the DVD audio myself.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Hopefully it's safe to assume that the DVD has a THX Optimode? Since these Optimodes are designed for each individual disc, I wonder if calibrating your systems speakers with it would provide any difference in sound level (esp LFE). Has anyone tried this?
Pieter
------------------
BoomRoom's pics as of Oct 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks