What's new

*** Official TOY STORY 3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Originally Posted by Greg Kettell

Probably another language (Italian, maybe?) although I don't know how they would translate the brilliant Gypsy Kings cover of 'You've Got A Friend In Me' in the end credits.

Maybe I can help answer that question. I saw the english version with spanish subtitles here in Honduras. The audience that I saw this with consisted mostly of people who speak Spanish as their first language, but who also speak English well enough to want to see the subtitled version. While the spoken language was English, most all written words on the screen were in Spanish. My point is that the version we saw was still very much geared to a spanish speaking audience. When the spanish Buzz started speaking (in Spanish), the atmosphere in the theater changed noticably. The audience became alive. There was more laughter in the theater and the audience was more involved when Spanish Mode Buzz was on screen than at any other time during the movie. There was a real "connect" with the audience when it heard part of the movie in it's own heart language.

I asked an Honduran friend who took his family to see the Spanish dubbed version what he thought was the funniest part of the movie. He said that they (he and his family) thought it was really funny when Buzz started speaking Spanish. Now, for those who are paying attention, they were already listening to the movie in Spanish. Why would or how could he, and others, differentiate between the two. OK, here goes. In the dubbed movie Buzz speaks with common Spanish with a common accent. But when Buzz changes to Spanish Mode Buzz, his accent changes to an accent from Spain, which is quite different from Latin American accents. Also, he said, and I noticed this too, that Buzz speaks in a romantic style (I can't explain it, you just have to know). He also said that they enjoyed this part of the movie because Buzz was actually supposed to be speaking Spanish. In other words, Buzz was a Spanish speaking character as opposed to a character who is speaking in Spanish. I hope that makes sense.

As far as the music is concerned, he said all the lyrics to the songs were in Spanish. However, it's hard to say if the end credits were in English or Spanish. Usually, in Honduras anyway, the theaters here turn off the projector very soon after the credits begin. They do let the credits continue if there is some little funny thing going on in the credits, but when it stops they turn off the projector.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Frank, after having it explained, it seems self evident...doh! Having Spanish Buzz speak romantic Spanish sure makes sense since he was really putting the moves on Jessie. It's great that even in the dubbed version, there was a difference between dubbed Buzz and Spanish Buzz.

I'm glad the Spanish Buzz effect translated well.

djcm

Auditioning
Real Name
dj
I got more enjoyment out of smashing this dvd int pieces. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RATED PG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BIG WASTE OF MY MONEY............. TOO MUCH VIOLANCE AND NOT APPROPRIATE FOR LITTLE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by djcm

I got more enjoyment out of smashing this dvd int pieces. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RATED PG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I BIG WASTE OF MY MONEY............. TOO MUCH VIOLANCE AND NOT APPROPRIATE FOR LITTLE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generally, I find that if you haven't seen it, rent. Still, as a first post, tell us how you really feel. I thought it was the best film so far this year; but that's me. Disney thanks you for your $15 regardless of what you did with the disc.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"TOO MUCH VIOLANCE AND NOT APPROPRIATE FOR LITTLE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Does this mean your children will never grow to an age where it's appropriate for them?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yep, absolutely abhorrent that Pixar/Disney have anything scary in a Movie.

I'd love to go back to the days of Snow White, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King.

No bad guys and violence in those classics. No scary things, everybody loves everybody else, and nobody says a cross word.

Care Bears and Smurfs RULE.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Maleficent in Snow White turning into the dragon was one of the scariest things I have ever seen in a film (period). There was really nothing in TS3 to compare with that scene, where a character threatened to unleash "Now You Shall Deal with Me, My Prince.. And All The Powers of Hell!" (Capitlization taken from the script, I assume as a cue for emphasis)

Heck, unlike any other Disney villain I can remember, Maleficent has no, not a single redemptive scene in the film. Every scene she is in is basically menacing. Or Hades in Hercules (though some funny moments), or Lion King... or...

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Originally Posted by djcm

You guys don't get many trolls here on HTF, mostly just spammers. This, ladies and gentlemen, is a troll. They are pretty common in most online communities, and are best ignored.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Norman

Yep, absolutely abhorrent that Pixar/Disney have anything scary in a Movie.

I'd love to go back to the days of Snow White, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King.

Or Wizard of Oz. No scary scenes in that one either.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My wife and I watched this over the weekend. This was our second viewing (first was theatrical) and we found it just as good as we remembered. I can't think of an off moment in the film, a moment where I thought "that didn't work" or "I wish they would have deleted that." The movie tells a wonderful story with an extremely high level of creativity and technical expertise.

I will have to watch it again and take notes just to list all the wonderful little bits in the movie. Some of the things that stick with me are: Andy has grown up into a terrific young adult, he's worthy of the faith Woody puts in him; 2) Spanish Buzz is as funny a sequence as I've seen in the movies for a very, very long time; 3) The scene in the incinerator is just as genuine and moving as the first time we saw it. The resolution to this scene was so funny and right, we forgive the deus ex machina aspect to it; 4) The ending was beautiful and spot on. Andy is growing up and he can't give the toys the play time they need, but he still loves them and wants them to be taken care off. Andy made the right choice.

This movie left me wanting another Toy Story even though I know the story is complete. has there ever been another trilogy put on the screen at this level of excellence?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
has there ever been another trilogy put on the screen at this level of excellence?

Nope. Not to my mind.

But I fully recognize that others' opinions will differ.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm a SW fan too and I still think TS is better. All three films are great, and even with the advance of technology, you can go back and watch TS1 and love it all over again.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

has there ever been another trilogy put on the screen at this level of excellence?
The Lord of the Rings and the original Star Wars are both, to me, better trilogies.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
To me, this is the best trilogy of all time. There are moments in each of them that are so emotionally "True" that they just cut to the quick in a way a lot of films just don't.

In Toy Story: "Go Sailing", as Buzz realizes he's a toy... In Toy Story 2, Jessie's Lament is maybe one of the top 5 tear jerker moments in any film, when she remembers someone just outgrowing her.. there is something very adult contemporary about that; my wife & I went to see this film together, we had been married about 2 years, just had our first child that summer, and we were both in the theater with sniffles. In Toy Story 3, the scene in the incinerator is a masterpiece; as the toys reach for each other, hold hands and are comforted by knowing they've all been on the journey together, and they have each other in the end.. Toy Story 3 will likely get a Best Picture (not animated, Best Picture) nod out of "mercy" but it won't stand a chance.. but it is too bad, because there isn't a single other film this year I've seen, except for "Temple Grandin" which isn't eligible, that has had a sequence that is both as desperately sad, and yet so comforting as that moment. That's a really difficult balance to have in any film. Pixar always seems to be able to do that, the beginning of "Up!' and this sequence are the kind of thing that 30 years from now people will still look at and be able to relate to the emotion within a film.

We're into November, and I've yet to see anything that has hit me as "wow, this is the film of the year". And maybe it will happen and I will see something that hits me as "this should win". But right now, for the year, Toy Story 3 is the best film of the year, of anything I've seen so far, and it's a fair size drop to the next film on my list that would be eligible (Inception).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by mattCR
We're into November, and I've yet to see anything that has hit me as "wow, this is the film of the year". And maybe it will happen and I will see something that hits me as "this should win". But right now, for the year, Toy Story 3 is the best film of the year, of anything I've seen so far, and it's a fair size drop to the next film on my list that would be eligible (Inception).

I would probably agree with that, although, to be fair, a lot of Oscar caliber material comes out between now and the end of the year. Inception will also likely get a best picture nod, both because it deserves it and because Oscar snubbed Nolan's Dark Knight two years ago. But yeah, TS3 is the best thing I have seen so far this year.

As for trilogies, I think the Lord of the Rings is pretty flawless. Can't think of another (and I'm a Star Wars fan too). TS and LOTR are perfect trilogies.

MadMikeyD

Grip
Real Name
Michael Dean
Our oldest child was 2 when the first Toy Story came out. When we got the video he watched it almost everyday, as many times as we'd let him. Now he's almost 17 and we have 3 other children, ages 5-9. All 4 of them loved Toy Story 3. We got rid of our VHS tapes a while back and haven't replaced most of them yet. We did go and get the Toy Story Trilogy to put away for Christmas. I anticipate a marathon viewing on Christmas Day. I love the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the original Star Wars Trilogy as much as anyone, but I have to say Toy Story is definitely the perfect family trilogy. Each of the films entertains everyone from the 5 year old up to mom and dad. Toy Story 3 even had tears in the teenagers eyes.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by mattCR In Toy Story 3, the scene in the incinerator is a masterpiece; as the toys reach for each other, hold hands and are comforted by knowing they've all been on the journey together, and they have each other in the end.. Toy Story 3 will likely get a Best Picture (not animated, Best Picture) nod out of "mercy" but it won't stand a chance..
That brings something else to mind about the Oscars. As I thought about TS3 after our 2nd viewing, I came to the conclusion that between the voice actors and the animators, they had produced some wonderful acting performances. When it reaches the level of the TS performances there should be recognition for the performance. Of course an animated performance will never get that. I'm talking about the "Best performance by an actor..." categories.

keithling

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keith Ling
Best animated picture for sure. Should be best picture period for 2010, but as was stated, actors aren't going to vote for an animated film. I thought the food critic scene in Ratatooie was absolutely brilliant and untouchable for emotional impact in animation. The scene in TS3 where Andy's room is empty, and most of what you see is the cloudy sky wallpaper that was the backdrop to the first scene in TS, had my eyes flooding. As if that wasn't enough, Andy's presentation of his toys to Molly, and especially giving up Woody, made me even worse.
Toy Story was not just three animated movies. It was an institution. It transformed the animated art form by making the story paramount (no pun intended).

We recently got our first true flat screen HDTV and BR player. Toy Story movies are the family favorite, so I went ahead and got the Ultimate Toy Box. We enjoy it even more at home now.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
The only other trilogy that I can think of that beats TS is LOTR. I'm a Star Wars fan but ROTJ was the weakest installment. I bought my son TS3 for Christmas and can't wait to watch all 3 and when TS 3 is over watch TS1 all over again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks