What's new

*** Official TOY STORY 3 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My absolute favorite laugh-out-loud moment was when Woody called Buster (a la the scene in TS2 where he was whisked outside to the yard sale in an attempt to bring back Wheezy) and the 11-year-year-older dog waddled into the room and slowly rolled over onto Woody. What a wonderful thing that the gang at Pixar took into account the aging of the family pet along with the aging of the human characters as well. While I count that as just another nice touch among many in the film...it very much touched me and my love of dogs (and gave ma a good laugh, too.)

I just can't say enough about how good those Pixar folks are at their jobs.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I'm just glad I went to the 11am show on Father's Day---by myself---in a half-full theater. And those 3D glasses do a good job of hiding the misty eyes!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I loved the monkey too - everytime he went ape, I laughed.

Quite a few children were crying during the incinerator scene. Big Baby was a bit creepy, this one was much darker that the previous two.

And yes I thought of ROTJ when Big Baby threw Lotso too.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Originally Posted by todd s

Nothing was creepier than the baby doll staring at the moon and then turning its head around when it heard Buzz and the green aliens.

Yes - my daughter said half-jokingly that she hopes no little kids were watching that or they'll get nightmares.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I couldn't think of a better way to spend part of my father's day then to see Toy Story 3 at the IMAX. My entire family are huge fans of the movies. They have been played in my household more than any other film. My 4 year old son dutifully brought his Buzz Lightyear figure and Woody doll with him.I was worried that he would get fed up with the glasses part way through the film but he never wavered. His face was glued to the enormous screen.

All of us laughed and cried and laughed some more. Truly an incredible film. I will admit that I cried much the same way I did when Wall*E held hands with Eve and during Carl and Elle's montage in Up.

Tears streamed down my face at the end of TS3 mostly because of the emotion I was feeling for the characters but part of it was also because I realized this would probably be the last time I see the gang in a new adventure on the big screen. I didn't want it to end.

It was, however, a perfect ending. Poignant and emotional without being sappy.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by Southpaw
Tears streamed down my face at the end of TS3 mostly because of the emotion I was feeling for the characters but part of it was also because I realized this would probably be the last time I see the gang in a new adventure on the big screen. I didn't want it to end. It was, however, a perfect ending. Poignant and emotional without being sappy.

Exactly. Maybe we don't want the series to end because we don't want childhood to end; the same way Woody wanted to keep the gang together and be there for Andy, but eventually he knew he had to let go, for Andy, for himself and for his friends.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
On first viewing, I didn't have quite the intense reaction that many have described to the final scene in the movie, but perhaps that's because I was emotionally worn out by the incinerator sequence! I can't think of many live-action dramas that have given that much weight to a group of such established characters all facing their mortality like that. Based on the way they reacted there, it seemed pretty obvious to me what Woody's final choice was going to be regarding going with Andy or sticking with the group...so while bittersweet, the ending seemed upbeat and "just right" to me.

The EW blog above, though, makes some great points. In 1995, Buzz Lightyear was a pretty cool toy, but now, even he looks quaint and of a simpler time. Woody and many of the others seem like true relics, and that is indeed sad. That this passé collection of classic "boy's toys" ends up in the loving care of an imaginative little girl, however, is a wonderful and moving note to end their story on.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick H. This quote isn't exact, but one of the creators said something like "It was important for us to be able to make the toys react just as they would if the kids were really playing with them."

Making a video game to simulate kids playing with real toys seemed like such a cop out (and an ironic one at that)...especially after that incredible closing scene of the film featuring Andy & Bonnie and the joy of playing with real toys.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In case anyone missed it, here is a New York Times "interview" with Toy Story 3's breakout star, the monkey in the security room:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/21/monkey-shines-meet-the-breakout-star-of-toy-story-3/

Good stuff!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
So yesterday we went to the IMAX 3D version. Not fake digital IMAX, the real deal six story screen, 12,000 watt sound system. Love the size and "scope" of it. This is the theater we saw The Dark Knight in five times (Pointe Orlando for locals).

But to be honest, I don't think I ever need to see (i.e. pay extra for) another 3D movie in my life. It really does nothing for me. I mean, I see the depth and all, but it really does absolutely nothing to improve the movie. My wife felt the same way.

I really would have been just as happy with the film in IMAX and not 3D. Just the sheer size of the opening sequence was awesome. The power to the sound system was fantastic. I love me epic filmmaking and think a truly huge screen and supreme sound system adds so much. But I really do think I've fallen on the "fad" side of the fence with regard to 3D.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Orson Scott Card has a great write up that really explains what I was thinking:

Toy Story 3 had me laughing out loud time after time; it also filled my eyes with tears and finally had me crying like a baby.

It ran the moral gamut -- several characters who were on the side of evil were redeemed; one was not. But conflict was not really the source of the emotional strength of this story.

Rather it came from the loyalty of the family of toys as they faced destruction, encouraged by being together; and then it came to its climax in the extended sequence near the end when we see the toys being played with -- and the transition between owners being handled with extraordinary grace.

In short, what makes this movie great is not some exploration of the dark side of toy life (though that is certainly present), but rather seeing good people doing good, both as a loyal team and as brave individuals.

And you've never lived till you've seen Mr. Potato Head as a ... well, you've just got to go see the movie.

(There's a 3-D version. We saw the good one instead -- the one that doesn't make me wear ugly, uncomfortable accessories to see a washed-out version that pretends to leap from the screen.)

There has been only one better movie so far this year -- Temple Grandin -- and that was released only on HBO. Toy Story 3 is the only theatrical release so far this year that seemed even to aspire to greatness. And it got there.
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2010-06-20.shtml

I tend to agree. Those two are easily the two best films I've seen this year.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I took my wife and son to see it the other day. I might have welled up a bit at the end but didn't have tears streaming down my face. My wife was crying like a baby. It was a great movie. A perfect ending for the trilogy. TS2 is still my favorite but this comes in a close second. I did miss Bo Peep. I thought she and Woody had great chemistry. Now Buzz has Jessie but Woody has no one.:( I was simply amazed at the animation. I watched TS and TS2 the past couple of days and after watching TS2 I wanted to grab my TS3 dvd. It's going to be an agonizing wait. If Pixar is smart (and I know they are) there won't be a 4th. I think it would ruin a perfect trilogy.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Chad R

But to be honest, I don't think I ever need to see (i.e. pay extra for) another 3D movie in my life. It really does nothing for me. I mean, I see the depth and all, but it really does absolutely nothing to improve the movie. My wife felt the same way.

I agree. I saw this today in 3D and when it was over wondered why. There's really nothing added by the 3D. Good film, but it would be just as good in 2D. I think I'm going to pass on future 3D films unless I have some kind of discount pass (as I did today...only had to pay 75 cents for my ticket by using the movie money from the blu-ray releases).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finally got around to seeing this today and from the time Andy's mother walked into the empty packed up room I was dying. Tthank god it was dark and I had the glasses on and the humorous credit roll helped a lot.

Way too many sight gags and movie references to get on one sitting, but I absolutely loved Buzz's Cool Hand Luke.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by mattCR

Orson Scott Card has a great write up that really explains what I was thinking:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2010-06-20.shtml

I tend to agree. Those two are easily the two best films I've seen this year.

Agree with Mr. Card on both counts. My two favorite films of the year.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I also hope they stop with the third. These three films are monumental accomplishments; while I have no doubts as to Pixar's ability to create a worthy fourth story, this ended so beautifully, why mess with it. MattCR pointed out how effectively Pixar taps into the worthy innocence of youth, and I could not agree more. It is like mainlining nostalgia, but with clear eyes and perspective.

And they still manage to shoe in some top-notch comedy.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm very disappointed. My almost 3 year old daughter loves the first 2 Toy Story movie and I promised her I would take her to see TS3. This was going to be her very first time going to a theater. I was planning on going to the first showing of the day on a Saturday or Sunday and have waited this long for crowds to die down (in case she talks and stuff). Unfortunately, Hollywood’s current obsession with 3D has ruined these plans. As of yesterday, all of the local theaters in my small city have pulled the 2D version. Since this was going to be my daughter’s first theater experience, I do not want to pay a premium for 3D when she will most likely not wear the glasses, then complain about the fuzzy image and we would leave early. Heck, I'm not sure she would make it all the way through the 2D version. Not like those "one size fits all" glasses would even stay on her face. I'm sick of 3D and I hope this fad goes away soon. This just pisses me off; theaters should be required to have a few 2D showings a day for as long as they have the 3D version. Everyone doesn't want to watch 3D, and pay more for it, and have to wear cheap ass glasses to watch a movie. Now, my daughter has to wait for the Blu-Ray...but wait...there is another option. I'll just download it for her until the Blu-Ray comes out. So screw you Hollywood and screw 3D! Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest. I've seen the movie and I saw it in 3D. The movie itself was great, another HR for Pixar but, there was nothing special about the 3D IMO. It is also the last time I pay full IMAX price for half the IMAX experience (digital fakeMAX), that’s ridiculous what they charge (was visiting Orlando and a friend just had to see it in fakeMAX).

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
someone posted

"One such joke occurs at the end that has been building since the original Toy Story in 1995 and has one heck of a payoff."

what joke is that?

Im not giving anything away here but Im gonna guess they are referring to the three green aliens and "The Claw!!!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks