*** Official THE UPSIDE OF ANGER Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Mike Binder wrote and directed a star vehicle for Joan Allen, and the results are pretty good. Plenty of laughs and chuckles from anger and exasperation from Terri (Joan's charater) and her relationship with her 4 daughters, and a blooming kinship with a neighbor (Kevin Costner) after her husband leaves her and the family.

If you're in the mood for a dramedy, I think this film should hit the spot.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

2. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    We couldnt get in to see this at Sundance so went to see it tonight. I was kinda dissapointed. Understandable that Joan Allen's character would be a bit bitter about her husband leaving but it really doesn't explain why she is so hostile towards her daughters and doesnt seem to care a lot for them or if she does, doesnt know how to express it.
    I did think there was some good dialogue but the pace of the movie was really slow and some of the plots went nowhere. Why was the daughter sick? What was up with the kid who was a friend of one of the girls?
    Good movie but not great.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Upside of Anger". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I liked this film, but I agree some of the subplots were strangely written with no resolution. Great acting by both Allen and Costner. Binder should've cast another actor in the role he played.

Crawdaddy