*** Official THE UPSIDE OF ANGER Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Upside of Anger" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Upside of Anger" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

2. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I plan on seeing this film later this week, even if I have to travel to the Detroit area in order to do so. My two favorite actresses of today are Joan Allen and Laura Linney. However, a third one has now joined that category and her last name is Swank. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to this film and seeing Costner play a somewhat different role.

Crawdaddy

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I wouldn't say this is that different a role for Costner. After all, this is the 3rd time he's played a baseball player (4th if you count Field Of Dreams), and 4th time (at least) he's played a pro athlete. There are certain characteristics to all of these parts that are similar. That said, IMO Costner is one of those actors who needs a certain kind of role to shine (unlike Joan Allen, who can do pretty much anything), and this one makes the most of his stengths. He will be overshadowed by Allen's tour de force in this film, but he really is excellent in this part.

I thought the film was the best of the year to date (really not saying much this year) and hope to have a review up in the review thread later tonight.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think Costner was just grateful to show up and only be acting, instead of doing the directing and producing as well in his more personal efforts.

Binder, the director, didn't seem to mind playing an unsympathetic radio producer in a perpetual mid-life crisis mode.

Joan Allen had a few scenes where you could almost see the steam coming out of her ears from her anger.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert

He doesn't play a current baseball player, but a retired player in this film. His character apparently is much different than the ones he played in Bull Durham, Field of Dreams and For Love of the Game. It's not his former occupation that should be noted here, but the makeup of this role versus the ones he played in the past. For example, just because an actor might have played a cop in different films doesn't mean that a particular role as another cop can't be quite different from those others. Anyhow, I can't comment further since I haven't seen the film yet.

Crawdaddy

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What's ironic is that when the audience slowly finds out his occupation, he's a retired baseball player with a radio talk show that talks about everything but baseball.

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

Well, let me be more specific. I thought his character in Anger had much in common with those in Bull Durham and Tin Cup. There's a certain world-weary, beaten-down kind of thing going on there that's similar. As I said, I thought he was great. My point is you're not going to see a different Costner role, but a natural extension of some things he's done before.

This is a silly discussion anyway, and I'm sorry I started it. Just go see the movie - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. [​IMG]

8. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

I just watched this movie on DVD this weekend. Good movie but I found one major flaw with it.

I had a time believing that no one wanted to know where her husband was for 3 years. I mean, wasn't his family, best friend or co-workers ever curious where he was? I could see maybe 6 months going by with no one really wondering but after 3 yrs? Come on. Someone would of wanted to get in touch with him eventually.

Didn't any of you find that odd?

9. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott