*** Official THE TERMINAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by BrettB, May 28, 2004.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

"Sublime"

David Poland has the first review of The Terminal. He seems to have backed off a little on the Oscars but still a very positive review. I'm getting fairly well pumped for this as it draws closer.

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

David Poland has just raved his head off about The Terminal...here are some excerpts:

"The Terminal is sublime."

"The key to this is not bigger, faster or more intense. It is the simple clarity that is at the core of all great storytelling, not just filmmaking… and lately, rarely in filmmaking at all. There is nothing purely by-the-book here, yet it is classic movie structure in the very best way."

"This screenplay by Sacha Gervasi, later joined in the effort by Jeff Nathanson, is still intimate, even as rendered by Steven Spielberg. The magic is in that small story. The magic is in that small man with an unvanquishable heart, which is really what Tom Hanks does best. And that is the irony, no? If you look at the summer movies that really connect with audiences, people who don't connect with them tend to look at all the special effects and argue that the effects are all that's there. But what connects - the reason audience fall in love - is those small, very human people. And the special effects are just the frosting."

"It struck me recently that Spielberg is the Woody Allen of the action/adventure set. People keep wanting him to make "the funny ones," while he is ready to move forward with his considerable artistic curiosity...He hasn't quite made his Crimes & Misdemeanors yet…. the culmination of trying to meld his sense of visual grandeur with his search for meaning… but you get the feeling it is just around the corner."

"This is the prime of Spielberg's career. And it is time for the critical community to get behind the effort and not relegate Spielberg to his own genre."

"One of the many breathtaking, but truly subtle elements of the film is the amount of glass work Kaminski does, making it look effortless. You've seen the shot of Hanks "putting on a suit" in the reflection of a store window. Magical enough. But the real genius is that we bounce around the specially built terminal set as though we were on a 1950s TV stage with brown walls and overhead lighting, never feeling like we are trapped inside a movie, even though so much of the set is made of reflective glass and is, unlike those TV shows, impeccably lit. It's like making an entire movie shooting into a mirror without ever exposing the camera or the trick of it all and it is breathtaking. And the crane shots… some critics will write them off as showy, but they are truly beautiful."

"But the core of this film is, again, its heart… its simple, pure, loving, human, flawed, beating heart...Character after character, beat after beat, shot after shot, act after act, the heart beats with the thrills of a rollercoaster, even though you are stuck in an airport terminal."

"The Terminal may or may not be a serious Best Picture candidate. As a comedy, as opposed to a historical drama, it stands a real chance of being overlooked. But it is a simple piece of movie magic...It may not be important in the big picture of a world at war, but it has to be important to you if you love movies."

Read the full review at:
    http://www.moviecitynews.com/reviews/terminal.html

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Terminal" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Terminal" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I watched the HBO piece on this film and I can't wait until next Friday to see it.

5. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I enjoyed the film for the most part. Particularly the first hour or so. Tom Hanks is WONDERFUL.

But, it quickly disintegrates into loose plot threads, cornball cheesiness, and a too-long Spielbergesque ending (in the worst form of the word).

The marriage between Doris (or Dolores) and the food guy was super cornball. They never even met, but she does the live long and prosper sign and accepts his proposal?? Awwww...

And, the departure of Navorski from the terminal at the end was shameless...with the crowd gathering and cheering. Whatever. I guess ol' Steven just can't resist.

Too bad, because there is another VERY solid performance from Hanks that could and should have been built into a much better film.

Poland is insane. This film will be forgotten by September or even August.

6. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I enjoyed the film for the most part. Particularly the first hour or so. Tom Hanks is WONDERFUL.

But, it quickly disintegrates into loose plot threads, cornball cheesiness, and a too-long Spielbergesque ending (in the worst form of the word).

The marriage between Doris (or Dolores) and the food guy was super cornball. They never even met, but she does the live long and prosper sign and accepts his proposal?? Awwww...

And, the departure of Navorski from the terminal at the end was shameless...with the crowd gathering and cheering. Whatever. I guess ol' Steven just can't resist.

Too bad, because there is another VERY solid performance from Hanks that could and should have been built into a much better film.

Poland is insane. This film will be forgotten by September or even August.

7. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I don't think Poland is insane, but I was definitely disapointed by some of the cheap outs Spielberg took. Few people, I imagine will address the casual racism of Gustpa's character--after all he has the requisite scene meant to placate criticism, and it's actually a pretty minor issue since the spirit of his character does rely on genuine friendship with Nevarsky. I just got annoyed with the way he's used as a joke-prop, pull him out to grab an easy laugh from the audience. I disagree on the marraige=cornball criticism, as I thought that was one of the best handled pieces of the entire screenplay, with the live long and prosper moment the best one in the film. That entire subplot held genuine charm and magic for me, I enjoyed every moment of it.

Adam

8. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I don't think Poland is insane, but I was definitely disapointed by some of the cheap outs Spielberg took. Few people, I imagine will address the casual racism of Gustpa's character--after all he has the requisite scene meant to placate criticism, and it's actually a pretty minor issue since the spirit of his character does rely on genuine friendship with Nevarsky. I just got annoyed with the way he's used as a joke-prop, pull him out to grab an easy laugh from the audience. I disagree on the marraige=cornball criticism, as I thought that was one of the best handled pieces of the entire screenplay, with the live long and prosper moment the best one in the film. That entire subplot held genuine charm and magic for me, I enjoyed every moment of it.

Adam

9. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I loved this one from start to finish. I found the whole picture captivating. It did seem to be a return to "Old Spielberg" a bit and I think that will bother some. The aforementioned "wedding" certainly sounds corny on paper but, as with everything else in this film, I thought it played beautifully.

I'll be shocked if word of mouth isn't really good- it seemed to get a great reaction from my audience throughout.

10. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

I loved this one from start to finish. I found the whole picture captivating. It did seem to be a return to "Old Spielberg" a bit and I think that will bother some. The aforementioned "wedding" certainly sounds corny on paper but, as with everything else in this film, I thought it played beautifully.

I'll be shocked if word of mouth isn't really good- it seemed to get a great reaction from my audience throughout.

11. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

Seems I liked it more than Quentin, though I don't entirely disagree with his criticisms. The ending was overkill -- simply too long and redundant.

SPOILERS

We KNOW he's gonna get the signature, and the big emotional climax is already gone at that point. Since the latter portion of the film is building towards a sort of "Viktor as Everyman against the system" deal, he wins and the film is effectively over as soon as he leaves the terminal. All the rest is over-obvious window-dressing.

The Dolores-Enrique bit was corny but sweet. I *am* a little curious that she decided he was cool after seeing the back of his head only. (I mean, yeah, his "messages" show he's a nice guy, but c'mon, I can't quite believe you're marry someone practically sight-unseen -- physical attraction isn't THAT insignificant.

I also found the Zeta-Jones subplot the least interesting and least believeable -- though I did like they didn't end up together. But still, she was awfully willing to babble out her heart and soul to a complete stranger. How many of you would casually say "Oh wow, but the sex was soooo good" and talk about your relationship to someone you literally met five minutes ago and who, even more, seems to be stalking you?

But yeah, Hanks is awesome and carries the whole film easily through the occasional rougher section.

12. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

Seems I liked it more than Quentin, though I don't entirely disagree with his criticisms. The ending was overkill -- simply too long and redundant.

SPOILERS

We KNOW he's gonna get the signature, and the big emotional climax is already gone at that point. Since the latter portion of the film is building towards a sort of "Viktor as Everyman against the system" deal, he wins and the film is effectively over as soon as he leaves the terminal. All the rest is over-obvious window-dressing.

The Dolores-Enrique bit was corny but sweet. I *am* a little curious that she decided he was cool after seeing the back of his head only. (I mean, yeah, his "messages" show he's a nice guy, but c'mon, I can't quite believe you're marry someone practically sight-unseen -- physical attraction isn't THAT insignificant.

I also found the Zeta-Jones subplot the least interesting and least believeable -- though I did like they didn't end up together. But still, she was awfully willing to babble out her heart and soul to a complete stranger. How many of you would casually say "Oh wow, but the sex was soooo good" and talk about your relationship to someone you literally met five minutes ago and who, even more, seems to be stalking you?

But yeah, Hanks is awesome and carries the whole film easily through the occasional rougher section.

13. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Thought it was great. Another top notch performance by Hanks.

For taking place inside the terminal for basically the entire movie, I thought they moved around to enough interesting locations and angles that it kept it all interesting, yet you were made vary familiar with the different locals you were in.

There is only one spot that stuck out as 'rough' or not smoothly shot/acted and that was in the bar with Hanks and Zeta Jones near the end when she gives the one day pass. That whole interaction didn't feel right. I don't know what, but it just didn't seem 'real' like the rest of the film (despite its obsurbities).

It'll be on my dvd shelf upon release. [​IMG]

14. Jason Harbaugh

Thought it was great. Another top notch performance by Hanks.

For taking place inside the terminal for basically the entire movie, I thought they moved around to enough interesting locations and angles that it kept it all interesting, yet you were made vary familiar with the different locals you were in.

There is only one spot that stuck out as 'rough' or not smoothly shot/acted and that was in the bar with Hanks and Zeta Jones near the end when she gives the one day pass. That whole interaction didn't feel right. I don't know what, but it just didn't seem 'real' like the rest of the film (despite its obsurbities).

It'll be on my dvd shelf upon release. [​IMG]

15. Robert Crawford

Robert

Wow, Spielberg being accused of being a racist! Adam, I guess I didn't get that same read from the film.

Crawdaddy

16. Robert Crawford

Robert

Wow, Spielberg being accused of being a racist! Adam, I guess I didn't get that same read from the film.

Crawdaddy

17. Jason Harbaugh

I think I laughed hardest during that particular scene. Not because it might be stereotypical to some, I didn't see it like that at all, but because for the entire movie up to that point he has been sort of a hardass to Victor as well as being mean to customers with the wet floor. The dinner scene showed a new side to him, and a lovable side at that.

I personally think that people that jump to calling things racist, among other things like sexist or homophobic etc, are either afraid to look beyond their own racial issues or just don't want to. And this isn't directed at you Adam, it is just in general as I seem to see it a lot when discussing movies or tv shows.

18. Jason Harbaugh

I think I laughed hardest during that particular scene. Not because it might be stereotypical to some, I didn't see it like that at all, but because for the entire movie up to that point he has been sort of a hardass to Victor as well as being mean to customers with the wet floor. The dinner scene showed a new side to him, and a lovable side at that.

I personally think that people that jump to calling things racist, among other things like sexist or homophobic etc, are either afraid to look beyond their own racial issues or just don't want to. And this isn't directed at you Adam, it is just in general as I seem to see it a lot when discussing movies or tv shows.

19. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

The actor actually *is* a plate spinner.

I think they just threw it in for fun.

I didn't get a rascist vibe from it at all.

20. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

The actor actually *is* a plate spinner.

I think they just threw it in for fun.

I didn't get a rascist vibe from it at all.