What's new

*** Official "THE SWEETEST THING" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Sweetest Thing". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link.
Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Feels like a skit thinly patched together by bits of Cameron Diaz's bikini top. There's some really gross-out humor "gags" (Selma Blair's character provides much of the situations from whence such gags originate).

None of the characters are remotely interesting, mainly of the 1-dimensional stock variety.

The whole film feels forced and unnatural. But there's enough small laughs that make it tolerably bad.

I give it a C- or 1.75 stars.

BarryS

Second Unit
This movie is coming out Tuesday, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread and post my thoughts.
The Sweetest Thing is a real snoozer. Worst movie I've seen in quite a while. I usually try to skip the ones that look horrible, but the shots of Cameron Diaz's booty on the artwork provided more temptation that I was able to resist. I guess it was worth checking out to see Cameron shaking it in skintight pants, but that's the movie's only redeeming quality.
The entire cast seems to be on caffeine pills through the entire movie. They never stop moving! Cameron Diaz in particular. She never stops dancing or gyrating in some manner (not that that's a bad thing). In fact, a good chunk of the movie consists of Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate and Selma Blair dancing or singing or singing and dancing. The rest of the movie is a series of gross-out gags that feel like rejects from Farrelly Bros and Paul Weitz/Adam Herz scripts.
'Writer' Nancy Pimental was reportedly paid a lot of money for her script, but watching the movie I began to wonder if there even was a script. In between the penis gags (by the way, the usage of the word "penis" in this movie must be record-setting), the movie feels like little more than a series of outtakes from some other movie featuring Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate goofing off. The whole movie feels like the end credit sequence of There's Something About Mary. I feel that my time was wasted watching this movie. By the end, I was bored to death and didn't give a rat's ass if she ended up with the guy or not. At little more than 85 minutes, The Sweetest Thing feels longer than Apocalypse Now Redux.
This movie cost $43 million to make. Forty three million dollars!!! It is sad just to think about the quality scripts that were rejected and the good movies that were not greenlit, just so that The Sweetest Thing could be made. A film on par with Memento or In The Bedroom might have been turned down for this movie to be made. Taking that into account, The Sweetest Thing seems, not a comedy, but a tragedy. Tragic that $43 million was spent on this movie and not a much better one.
I give the movie :star: out of :star::star::star::star:.
As for the DVD, the quality is superb. Picture is pristine, perfect for freeze-framing the numerous shots of Cameron's posterior.

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
hmmm, I found myself laughing throughout the entire movie, and thought it was quite enjoyable overall. Different tastes, I suppose. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks