What's new

*** Official "THE SUM OF ALL FEARS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
With all due respect, I think that Tom Clancy might be a in a better position to make that decision than you or I... :)
/Mike

John_VI

Second Unit
MikieS - Sure he is, since he wrote the book and has "sign-off" rights on the script. But as a Clancy fan I am thoroughly outraged at the changes made in the story, all in the name of political correctness. I thought higher of Clancy than that, and I therefore expected much more of him. Now if he didn't have sign-off rights on the script I would blame it on an overly politically correct Hollywood, but that ain't the case here, is it?

Why bow to political correctness? The story is the story, and it shouldn't be changed so dramatically just to fit (or not offend) some group's sensibilities. If they couldn't be faithful to the story, then don't make the friggin movie.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
I know the chages to Jack Ryan were personally made by Tom Clancy who approved Ben Affleck in the role. Clancy even jumped at the chance to "re-imagine" Jack Ryan in this film.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
God, I'm just itching to make a joke about Rush and other things he's spoiled, but I'm shocked this thread hasn't already been closed, and I don't want to get kicked out of HTF, so I'll bite my tongue.

Rob T

Screenwriter
oh well. what do you expect from him?
I'm, personally, a Stern fan, who at least knows how not to spoil movies for the audience. :)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Hell, the other films didn't follow the books.

HFRO was published first and the movie was done first, but chronologically PG is the first in teh series. Well, not actually time-line wise, it is the third in the series/Jack Ryan Universe.

Chronologically they are:

Without Remorse

Patriot Games

Hunt For Red October

Kardinal of the Kremlin

Clear and Present Danger

Sum of All Fears

Debt of Honor

Executive Orders

Rainbow Six

The Bear and the Dragon

All are published chronologically Except WR, PG and HFRO. IIRC, WR was published after SOAF. It is implied in Rainbow Six that Ryan seeked out and was confirmed for a second term in office.

Note: I had forgotten The Bear and the Dragon, which is a Jack Ryan Novel, with Jack in his second term as POTUS.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Sum of all Fears". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "The Sum of all Fears" should be posted to this thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Mark E J

Second Unit
Why bow to political correctness? The story is the story, and it shouldn't be changed so dramatically just to fit (or not offend) some group's sensibilities. If they couldn't be faithful to the story, then don't make the friggin movie.
:rolleyes

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
The NY Times just gave the film a severe beating. Here'a a link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/31/mo...1FEAR.html?8mu
Some highlights (or lowlights):
The inadequacies of "The Sum of All Fears," in the light of Sept. 11, suggest that if the political thriller is to remain a vital genre, a new, toughened-up realism is necessary. Neo-Nazis no longer suffice as villainous sitting ducks, and Hollywood may finally have to come to grips with the real issues that can't be reduced to black-and-white caricatures.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Lance I think you mixed up another Harrison Ford movie "Executive Decision" with Clancy's book "Executive Orders". The Jack Ryan saga continues with "The Bear and the Dragon". Great book!

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Yes, I did get the title wrong, thanks for catching that. Edited for accuracy, and I can't believe I forgot the Bear and Dragon, as I just finished re-reading it about 3 weeks ago.
Silly Me :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
What they have done is taken SOAF and made Jack Ryan a young analyst again. So basically he is not the DDI. This does not change things too much. It does not follow the order of the books, but that's ok. It can still be a good story if he is younger.

By removing the subplot, you remove Ghosn and Qati. No biggie, just replace these characters with some German characters that are friends with Gunther.

I think I will enjoy the movie. I have read all the books and seen the previous 3 movies. I take the movies as movies, and the books as books. Even when the movies are totally different than the books, they still turnout to be good movies.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Both things sound like they were motivated by chicken hearted "let's not really bother anyone" thinking. Based on these criticisms, I'll pass on the thing.

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
In defense of political correctness...we all know that any nuclear weapon detonated in the U.S. will in all likelihood NOT be the work of Mid-Eastern Arab terrorist..but rather Norwegian Grandmothers. Heaven forbid we should single out a group that may actually have plans to do something like this. It may make them angry
Just my opinion and I could be wrong :D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys. I liked this one more than I expected to.

My review is up in the appropriate thread.

Everyone have a nice weekend.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In short, a :star: :star: disappointment. A cliched, dull, lazy unoriginal film with little suspense and virtually no action.
Ben Affleck is miscast as a young Jack Ryan. I didn't believe in his character for one minute. The same goes for the rest of the cast with the exception of Liev Schreiber who gave the film's best performance and also its smallest.
The story was a derivative mishmash of countles other better similarly themed films like Dr. Strangelove, The Day After and By Dawn's Early Light, to name a few.
By far, the WORST of the Jack Ryan films
and immediately forgettable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks