*** Official THE STATION AGENT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mike Broadman, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Saw this film last night. It's about train-obsessed dwarf who inherits an abandoned train depot in middle-of-nowhere New Jersey. He soon befriends an artist and hot dog vendor.

This a comedy, but the humor is very dry and minimalist. It's all about the timing and the facial expressions. Fin, the dwarf, does this brilliantly. You could see the look of exasperation but general acceptance of the world in his eyes.

The dramatic element is fulfilling as well- the film acts as a tribute to friendship. All three characters find themselves in the same place because they are escaping something. The film isn't about resolving those problems, but about how their friendship evolves.

This is the sort of film where its success of failure comes purely from whether or not the audience likes or cares about the characters. For me, it was a success.

Recommended.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This sounds like something I'd like. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads-up!

3. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

I've been looking forward to this as well. And not only because I think Patricia Clarkson is fabulous...

Mike, you might get some added feedback if you append to the Foreign and Alternative Film thread.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Steve, no problem.

Bob, I'll keep that in mind next time. It's just a shame that a sweet film like this doesn't warrant its own thread while every comic book fare gets novel-long discussion and review threads.

And yeah, Patricia Clarkson if good. It's funny- when I saw the trailer for Station Agent, her presence in the film was one of the things that captured my interest and I knew she was good, but I can't remember where I saw her before.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yeah. Well, I meant in response to the suggestion of tacking it onto the other thread. Ack!

Listen... Ok. Just, everyone go see this. There.[​IMG]

7. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

You know, the movie hasn't even opened yet. It's still in limited release. There will be talk. Soon. I gave up a chance to see it at the Chicago Film Festival just because I knew it would be opening. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

(I did see Pieces of April though, and anyone who's a Patricia Clarkson fan should see it too!)

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh, sorry. I didn't even realise it wasn't open yet. Chalk this one up to New York oblivion/snobbery.

And yes, folks, as a movie and jazz fan, I do appreciate the cultural advantages of New York. [​IMG]

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Miramax is being very conservative with this limited release. Currently the film is in only two theaters in New York and I think just one in L.A. It's a matter of semantics whether one considers that enough of release to say that the film has "opened". [​IMG]

But if experience is any guide, this won't be a particularly active thread even when the film hits DVD and is available to anyone with a player. Take a look at which threads here and in Software routinely get the most activity, and you'll see why.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What a great little film that I had to travel to Detroit once again to see such films.

Crawdaddy

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Station Agent" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Station Agent" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

12. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Very few films delight with its humor and grab with the intent of uplifting its audience with its subject matter while at the same time reflecting upon its sadness. The Station Agent does this on both counts. It has a comical approach on the subject of loneliness and frailties of human nature.

Peter Dinklage (Finbar), Patricia Clarkson (Olivia) and Bobby Cannavale (Joe) all do excellent work here. Finbar is living in an all too curious world because of his physical size. His detachment from the real world and from making friends is based on whether people see him as a normal person or just another novelty.

Joe is another soul struggling for connection as he tries to balance friendship and relationships while caring for his sick father. Olivia is the hardest hit of all three as her initial friendship with Finbar is a displacement of her love towards her lost son. Later does she realize about this and comes to terms with her loss.

I caught this at an advance preview by Miramax, in an attempt to build good word-of-mouth before opening it for general release. I hope their strategy works.

The Station Agent is memorable not only for its story but also for its characters. It is a gem of a film.

~Edwin

13. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

I just saw the trailer for this movie. I really hope it gets a more general release, for I really want to view it, but if not, I am signed up at amazon to get notified as soon as the DVD comes out.

Amazing, I can't even tell from the official site where this movie is showing.

14. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

huh, so I guess we're one of the lucky ones to have had The Station Agent playing around us for a couple of weeks now...I also really enjoyed the film. So simple and character driven...for the lack of a better analogy, it's like a whiff of coffee beans at the perfume counter to reinitialize your olfactory senses. So refreshing...no frills, just great characters, actors, actresses and location shots.

And then I took my sister and a friend to see The Singing Detective last week...totally wasn't expecting that kind of movie...I mostly enjoyed it, but maaaaan did they hate it [​IMG]

15. Jerry R Colvin

Jerry R Colvin Stunt Coordinator

The Station Agent just came to Louisville this past weekend and it was great. One of the best movies of the year, but it's so low-key that I wonder if it will get any notice come awards season.

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Called a friend in Pougkeepsie to recommend this film and found out it's playing at Upstate Films in Rheinbeck. So, that would be 3 theaters in New York. [​IMG]
    The owner of The Golden Spike, played by Paul Benjamin, was such a familiar face, but I just could not figure from where. Turns out he's had lots of work but I recall him in Escape From Alcatraz almost 25 years ago.
    Really enjoyed this movie.
    There really is a Newfoundland NJ and that was one of several locations.

17. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    I loved it. I really wish Miramax would give it a big Oscar push this year - Patricia Clarkson is a fairly familiar name, but Peter Dinklage would be a really cool nominee - he was great. The little black girl was also very good, even with just a few scenes.

18. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Dwarves must be hot. I saw the Station Agent on tuesday and Bad Santa the next day. Both starred dwarves. And both are very good movies, albeit in different ways.

I thought the heart/soul of the Station Agent was the young dude who ran the hotdog stand. He saw the possibility of forming a 'community' amongst people who were isolated, and he worked hard to make it happen.

Sweet film.

19. Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay Second Unit

Just got around to seeing The Station Agent as it opened here last week. Well, amongst all the recent Hollywood generics and clutter of movies, this particular film is one of those rare treats that you can take a liking to immediately. Not only is the film very observant but you also have three likable characters (great performances from Dinklage, Clarkson and Cannavale) where you’d wished you were invited to one of their walks or book readings. Though the movie is less subtle than Lost In Translation it is more brilliant in parts, IMO.

Straight into my top ten list for 2003 without hesitation.

20. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit