What's new

*** Official "THE SCORPION KING" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
All through TSK I was just thinking it was a very cheap imitation of Conan and a bad one at that but the movie kind of redeems itself during the end battle scenes. The Rock did pretty good with the climaxing fight scenes but the villain had more of my attention than he did. Some of the scenes were so cliche and cheesy they had me and my girlfriend laughing out loud...especially the pose he had with Kelly Hu with the perfect moon and stars in the background and the part where Michael Clarke throws him the sword in slow motion. TSK was an entertaining movie but it doesn't have me wanting to see it again.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who laughs hysterically during the commerical when MCD says "Wilyoo stand alone befaw da furee ofizz armees?"
Ever since they included that line in the teasers, I started working that into any conversation that I could. This has all the possibilities of being this years "You're the man now, dog!" from Finding Forrester. BTW, I highly suggest you check out Link Removed. I expect one for this line soon. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
How do they explain his background from the Mummy Returns? In that he was a bad guy who becomes a scorpion monster at the end. Now, he is the good guy?!?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How do they explain his background from the Mummy Returns? In that he was a bad guy who becomes a scorpion monster at the end. Now, he is the good guy?!?
We were asking the same question at the end. Our conclusion was that's probably the script for "The Scorpion King Returns." :D

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My friend and I agreed the movie must be targeting teens or younger.
The plot was extremely predictable and some of the fight scenes were of "WWF" quality. The humor in it made me laugh a few times, and the action sequences were entertaining. I thought the sound track was innapropriate at times and the sound effects were standard Hollywood. Some shots were a typical "glorify the lead role" but did prove effective on a few occasions. The opening scene made me want to get up and walk out. Just a super hero fighting his way through a predictable battle of goons.
Perhaps my favorite bonus to the movie was the lead female actress. Waiting to see what she wore next was the best part. :)

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit
The opening scene made me want to get up and walk out.
Thank you! Thought I was the only one.

Good God, The Scorpion King was just bad on many levels. This movie had so much potential and a cool concept too even if it was ripped off from many other types of movies like Conan.

Did they really need to try to play this movie as a comedy?

I was expecting at least a moderately serious movie with a cool story and cool characters and all I got was "Be glad you are my brother."

Just...just a bad movie...

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I sorta liked this movie in a bizarre way after watching it last night...but...slowly I've come to realize that it's pretty much a (slightly) bigger budget version of a decent episode of "Hercules" with Kevin Sorbo!!
If you don't expect much...you will enjoy this movie, it has some good lines, a lot of swordplay and fighting (though surprisingly, none of it impressive!) but I made sure to focus on Kelly Hu, and everything was just...FINE!
It is surely no Conan the Barbarian, but it has me primed to begin the summer movie season!!
Here comes Spidey, AOTC, Minority Report, Austin Powers, yeah baby!! :D
Overall, if your expectations are set low, :star: :star: :star: 1/2 out of 5
"The Rock" has potential...he needs a better star vehicle ala "The Terminator" for Ah-nuld.
-Dennis;)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Perhaps my favorite bonus to the movie was the lead female actress. Waiting to see what she wore next was the best part.
So it wasn't as bad as The Mummy Returns, but not as visually interesting as the first Mummy -- not that that was a particularly good film either.

//Ken

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
First off: I thought "The Mummy" was barely OK, I didn't see "The Mummy Returns" and I have not seen any of the "Conan" films (runs and hides in corner).
I enjoyed The Scorpion King, but it wasn't a great movie by any stretch. It seemed like a bigger-budget TV-movie.
Kelly Hu was very nice to look at (and I kept wondering what she WOULDN'T wear next :)), The Rock did a good job, and I liked the fact that there wasn't much obvious CGI work, in favor instead of some good old-fashioned smack-down. :)
I kept thinking that Russel Crowe would have been GREAT as the bad guy, the actor who played him looked a bit like Crowe too.
The lack of graphic violence and sex didn't bother me too much, but it would have been better with it, it might have given the movie more of an edge. But that's not the target audience they're going for, so they had to do the hypocrite thing and do all the violent things just outside the frame, and show everything but the boobs... :rolleyes
The anacronisms in the movie were fun too, gave it even more of a B-movie feel (everyone looked very clean, and there were plenty of silicone-enhanced women around).
In all, it was a decent piece of forgettable entertainment.
/Mike

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
Heh, I'll say the same thing about this movie as I said with Rollerball. The movie was crap... However, it was ENTERTAINING crap.
Anyone who expected a different movie on the screen after seeing The Mummy 2: Electric Boogaloo really was deluding themselves. I went in expecting mindless action, and I wasn't disappointed. The inclusion of a nearly naked Kelly Hu didn't hurt either!
:star: :star: :star: Three Stars - The Scorpion King is the best movie starring a wrestler since Mr. Nanny :laugh:

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Having seen it,

Pretty clear they're following the mold they created for Mummy / Mummy Returns. They put just enough production value into it (mostly costumes, set, and some CG) to make it a 'big' movie, but didn't spend enough money or time on it to smooth the rough edges out.

What we're left with is a unabashed action movie, a 'guy' movie, if you will. It walks hand in hand with cliché and camp, but does so with just enough (whatever) to be entertaining and fun.

The film could have been better. No lie there. They could have polished the script to be more believable and less predictable, they could have worked some of the fight choreography a bit better in places, and they could have worked the CG a bit better in places. Over all, TSK works I feel. It's a popcorn event movie made to rake in some bucks and show us The Rock to good effect.

It's raking in bucks and we have been shown The Rock.

Rock is going to be an action star I think, if his next movie works this good or better. He has it. He definitely has it. He looks good and comfortable on screen. He has the physical look and abilities, and can do action sequences personally and make them look good; be it a fight or taking a hit or a dive. The grin, the charm, the appeal, the ability … he has enough of it all to be the best new action star we've had in a long long time. There are stories that need an actor like him, and if he sticks around some of those fun stories can be slapped up on screen for us. He's damn fun to root for, he's a guy most guys can envision being, and is a guy most women can enjoy looking at.

I do hope he gets into some films that try harder with regards to script and 'movie making' though; some of the 'awww screw it, no one'll care that much' money saving cuts they did in TSK irk me. Yes it's "only" or "just" an action film; that doesn't mean you don't need a script and you don't need plot continuity or plot pacing.

Ultimately, TSK is a fine summer action film. Not an awards winner, not a model for how to do it, just a generic action flick (tm) they made to rake some cash in. And to give us The Rock with. Looks like they'll succeed on both counts.

Ps Kelly Hu was damn hot in the film too, definitely easy on the eyes. Alas, if only for a R rating …

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Yoikes, I thought it was pretty bad. Those CGI cobras were gawd-awful which is par for the course considering the horrible job on the Scorpion King from The Mummy Returns. Also the wall of sand, impending Sand Storm, was a throw-back to the Sand Storm of the Mummy and the Water Wall of the Mummy Returns. Also, that Jazzy-Rocky-Orchestra soundtrack at the opening was very out of place. The opening set the tone for movie. Fortunately, the rest of the movie wan't AS cheesy as the opening but it was still bad by most standards. The Rock WAS the best thing about the movie and hopefully will get a fair shot with a decent story in the future.

It's best summed up that Vince McMahon was the executive Producer and basically bankrolled the thing. His influence was plenty! 'nuff said.

I think it was poor start to the summer season, but will be quickly erased come May 3.

MichaelD

Stunt Coordinator
DOn't use the worst movie ever moniker, Josh until you've seen Being Human starring Robin WIlliams.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Michael I always thought that nothing could possibly beat Knock Off as worst movie. But after watching Scorpion King Van Damme's movie isn't that bad. I have not seen Being Human and since I really don't care for Robin Williams and your considering it to be worst movie that generally means it is really bad as well so I will pass on it.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
The opening scene made me want to get up and walk out.
And that is exactly what I did.

10 minutes was long enough for me to figure out that, at 27, I am way too old for this flick.

I didn't have a lot of choices but Murder By Numbers was starting up in the next theater. I think I made the right choice.

"Boo" - give me a break.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my thoughts on the scorpion king

or...

how i wasted $8.75 in one shot

or...

what was i thinking when i said i'd go

guess you get the picture...

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Saw it today at a matinee (raining here in NY) with my 9 y/o son. Its a decent Summer Popcorn movie. I thought The Rock did a good job and the story progressed nicely.

I didn't expect much going in but was pleasantly surprised that I felt good at the end when The Rock gets the girl and wins the prize.

JohnG

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw this movie tonight. This is movie was OK not great. The problem I had with it is that in The Mummy Returns basically we learn who is the Scorpion King ( i.e he lived in Egyptian times ) in this movie it seems that it happned long after the egyptian empire was gone.

Also I couldn't help how movies have changed, back when I saw Conan one thing I loved was the blood and gore like Excalibur. In The scorpion King you see all this killing but no blood.... God how fake !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks