What's new

*** Official "THE SANTA CLAUSE 2" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
There are two ways to look at The Santa Clause 2: Naughty or Nice.
Disney, in its own infinite wisdom, decides to make a follow up to its 1994 hit. This time, they didn’t have to look deep into its vault to get an idea for a sequel. I guess no original is sacred anymore to Disney (not that the original Santa Clause was untouchable) but wait a few more years and we just might see a sequel to Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
It has been eight years since Scott Calvin became Santa Claus. This time though, besides getting ready for Christmas, he has to find a Mrs. Claus or lose being Santa. There are two other subplots of little consequence as they more or less function as fillers to its 100-minute running time.
Everyone from the original is back including Tim Allen as Santa/Scott Calvin, Calvin’s son Charlie (Eric Lloyd), the head elf Bernard (David Krumholtz), the stepdad Dr. Neil Miller (Judge Reinhold) and Calvin’s ex-wife Laura (Wendy Crewson).
There really isn’t anything more to be said about this film. It is a sequel that need not be made. The North Pole looks like an uninspired toy factory. The special effects were bad, the fake snow and the music, well, wait a minute… Was there any music here? I guess, it was unmemorable then. Sure, there were a few laughs but overall, there really isn’t much effort and creativity invested into making this film to at least aspire to be anything special in some way.
By releasing The Santa Clause 2 a full eight weekends before Christmas, Disney will make sure that it gets a lot of mileage from this one and will try to milk it all the way through the Christmas holidays.
Bottom line: For the kids - Nice. For the cynics – It still won’t make you believe. For everyone else – Naughty. But I have seen worse.
~Edwin

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Santa Clause 2". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Eventhough I loved the original I went in to see this with low expectations...most of these live action family movies are pretty bad...but I liked it. Predictibly cute, warm and fuzzy, and with a great audience we really enjoyed ourselves. It won't win any academy awards mind you, but a sweet movie nonetheless. :emoji_thumbsup:

BryanZ

Screenwriter
I thought this one was fairly well done. Didn't expect it to break all records but it should have staying power in the theater. Check your expectations at the door and enjoy it for what it is. Santa Clause was good. Two, in my opinion, is as good. A fun movie that you can take the kids to. Kick back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Well, we waited until it hit the local military theater, and all of us (wife, sister in law, college age son and I) absolutely loved it. It had a very sweet romantic side, as well as a very over the top, Babes in Toyland type feel toward the end.

And the fate of the faux Santa during the credits was hysterical. "Hey lady, you ever see a dancing Santa do this?!"

Big time thumbs up. Cannot wait for the DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks