What's new

*** Official "THE RULES OF ATTRACTION" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I can't believe i'm about to type this, but I actually WANT to see a film that stars (GASP) James Van Der Beek! :eek:
The film looks interesting to me though, i'll check it out.
Anybody?

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
If only the film were as good as the trailer. I didn't much care for the movie when I saw it last week. Your mileage may vary.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I caught a screening of the film tonight (with novelist Bret Easton Ellis in attendance). Firstly, I loved the book. I liked the film quite a bit, as well, and I laughed loudly numerous times and found James Van Der Beek to me okay. I did not, however, care much for Shannyn Sossamon. I thought the novel generally translated well to film, although much was missing (of course), and I didn't care for the structure of the film's ending (except for the very final moment). It was good, though; certainly one of the better films I've seen this year.

DJ

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've been torn on the trailer between "cool" and "lame".
Mark isn't helping me in figuring that out either. :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I saw "The Rules Of Attraction" last night.

I didn't really know anything about it going in. I hadn't read the book or even seen the trailer.

I liked it a lot, though. It's something really different. The story isn't anything to write home about but the structure is quite interesting.

And I loved what was done with the end titles.

(And don't miss the cool "House of 1000 Corpses" trailer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Rules of Attraction". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "The Rules of Attraction" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
For me, this is the most frustrating movie of the year. It hops between being terrible and really good every five minutes. Still, it's WAY more cinematically exciting than anything Larry Clark has done, and also far better than the myriad of one-star reviews are giving it credit for. There's about an hour of great stuff in here.

Mark

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
For me, this is the most frustrating movie of the year. It hops between being terrible and really good every five minutes. Still, it's WAY more cinematically exciting than anything Larry Clark has done, and also far better than the myriad of one-star reviews are giving it credit for. There's about an hour of great stuff in here.
That's one of the better summaries of the film that I've read...and I agree with you completely. It was good, it could have been better...but regardless, it was nice to see something different for a change.

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed a lot of it, but then I really didn't like some parts. I think I totally misunderstood the ending. What was it that Van Der Beek kept thinking about, while on the motorcycle?
I must have missed something.

rhett

Supporting Actor
I saw this last night, and from a technical standpoint this is easily one of the best films of the year. There were some amazing shots in this movie, and the non-linear plot structure was once again one-upped by Avery. The plot itself is rather trite, but its execution is so admirable that I found it impossible not be be mesmerized.
At first I was bummed that PUNCH DRUNK LOVE didn't make my city, but in hindsight I am happy that it didn't make it here, because I had quite the experience watching the movie yesterday.
If anything, one can't deny that this is the closest film to A Clockwork Orange that has ever came out, right down to its excellent trailer.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I think this is a film you really have to see more than once to truely get a grasp of. I know I will.

Still, I loved the split screen of Van Der Beek and Sossamon that slowly dollyed over into a single profile shot of both of them.

Wes C

Supporting Actor
I saw this at a pretty sub-par theater. I was wondering if the sound was messed up or uniquely done, neither would surprise me.

One question particular: When the overdosed in the hospital was the dialog supposed to be in the rear speakers?

The other: Throughout the movie the back ground noise was very loud then instantly got quieter during dialog, it got very distracting.

Was this normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks