What's new

*** Official "THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I totally loved this movie! The casting for this film was excellent. Huston and Hackman were wonderful together. There were plenty of things to laugh at during this film, such as the art work on the walls... I've never seen anything as funny as a group of guys with crazy mask on sitting on what appeared to be four wheelers. I still find myself laughing out loud in both private and public places when I think of these lines : "Is that a tic tac?" And of course the line from the adorable Pagoda..."He has the cancers".

Hillarious stuff. Bravo to The Royal Tenenbaums I give it 4 stars and can't wait for the DVD release.

Eve

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
On a side note: I listen to the Loveline radio show, who has a psychologist who specializes in addiction therapy. He was impressed with the film, primarily in the accurate behavior and psychology to the disfunction that Royal has brought to the kids (he singled out Margo/Paltrow specifically).

Personally, I love this film. I need to go revise my Top 10 of 2001.

THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
I cannot call myself a Wes Anderson fan, since this has been the only film i have watched from him.
But with that said, now after watching this one, i truly do want to see Bottle Rocket and Rushmore.
The film tells the story of Royal Tenenbaum, a parent who has either neglected or ignored his 3 brilliant children (Richie, Margot and Chas).
22 years pass by, and now they are all grown up, and Royal decided to bring in the whole family again.
But things start to get busy here: Royal´s wife now has a fiancee, (his assistant), and he will do anything to stop it, and many revelations from the past start.
Particulary what stunned me about this film was the acting, so real that you forget that they actors potraying them in an excellent way.
The script is just top-notch, same with the music, also the cinematography is just beautiful.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED :emoji_thumbsup:

'Tenebaums: two aces - Royal flush.

It starts about the end of hour one of the Royal Tenebaums. Up until now, director Wes Anderson and cowriter Owen Wilson are at the top of their game with a very funny and skillfully laid out quirky comic tableau. But then it starts to hit you as these dweebs continue to wear these ridiculous 'movie character' outfits and their initial offkilter charm begins to seem a bit tired and contrived.

Anderson and Wilson just didn't have the chops to pull it off in the second reel. They left these actors at sea and they - and the film - just sinks. It's like they wanted these endearing accoutrements and costumes to actually make up for their own inability to flesh out the characters. They wanted the 'look' of these genius nerds to literally do the acting and provide substance for the leads; Paltro with her furs and smokes, Hackman with his goofy glasses and hairdo, Stiller with his sweatsuit and anger, Glover with his monkey suit and grey hair, Luke Wilson with his absurd headband and Fila sportshirt, and Owen Wilson with his laughable cowboy duds. They also predictably try to swing the tone into seriousville [spoilers] with a from-left-field suicide attempt, doomed, taboo love affair, and half-hearted drug addiction storyline. All of them just don't quite work.

There could have been a great movie here - and for quite a while there really is. It's just too bad they didn't let another keen eye into the process to keep them honest and to significantly tighten up the narrative focus down the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks