What's new

*** Official "THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I saw it last week and consider it among the year's very best. Can't wait for it to open so I can see it again.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
My wife and I saw this yesterday. (It opened here in the SF Bay Area on Christmas Day, I believe.)

The acting was very good, and so was the screenplay. It was definitely darker than I expected from the trailer. As someone else said, it has a real tone of sadness and loss throughout.

I really thought Gene Hackman was terrific - what a great "character" for him to play - a genuine liar and rogue. Funny stuff, how he introduces his grandsons to the "real world".

Dave Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this movie today. Loved it. LOVED it :)
I really should try to see Bottle Rocket as I really like Rushmore also.

Jason_H

Second Unit
So my follow-up...saw it on Friday night...I really liked it, and think I would have enjoyed it even more if, as David St. Hubbins once said, "I wasn't under such heavy sedation." I had the flu, and was a little out of it. That being said, I can't wait to see it again. The movie was definately a bit darker and more melancholy than Bottle Rocket or Rushmore, but I loved it just the same.
And when you see Royal's martini glasses in the film, those bastards are mine now! I bought them off of Ebay...:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was I the only one LMAO whenever a beat-up cab would show up in the streets in front of the building?

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen The Royal Tenenbaums four times now (it's even in the multiplexes already in my neck of the woods), and this last time I dragged my parents to see it - even THEY loved it.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Digging this up since it fell off the map.

I have it in my top 5 or so as of right now. Maybe as strong as Rushmore, maybe not. Too hard to say after one viewing, but this is a film that I want to see many times over. It's got that same honest emotional touch that Anderson brought in his first 2 films, and the same great dry humor.

In fact RT might be MORE of a comedy than WA's first 2 films. The group cast is terrific with the pinnacle being Hackman's effort that should be considered for an Oscar, it's that good and heartfelt.

Anderson's characters are some of the best around, each have complexity and depth and yet he brings it to the film with minimal scenes and dialog. Extremely efficient script writing. That gives you more time to enjoy spending with characters that you somehow already know so well.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I really liked it. But, of the three Anderson films, this one was the weakest. Not a slam on the film...it just didn't quite live up to what the others brought to the table. Still, funny often enough to make it entertaining and the acting was superb. The only real gripe were the moments before the chapter changes. They just seemed flat and lifeless. It was as if the scene had to totally run out of steam before they moved to the next chapter. Kind of a downer. But..still a good film...

Bruce

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Royal Tenenbaums". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "The Royal Tenenbaums" should be posted here.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Saw this last night and was most impressed.
The film is one of the most gorgeously photographed works I've seen in a long time. Almost every frame is a meticulously composed still you'd like to pause and study.
Anderson really uses up every single inch of space effectively, which is a rarity in today's comedies. The framing is just as good as Rushmore's, and I shudder to think what this will look like when it's P&S for TV. I saw the TV version of Rushmore recently, and the early montage (detailing Max's activities) was completely butchered.

StephenT

Stunt Coordinator
It is one of those films you have to see more than once to catch everything. I may have to go again, but either way it's a must buy DVD.

It had a Nick Drake song in it! I love Wes' choice of songs.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i saw this movie yesterday and i have mixed reactions; i'll have to see it again and enjoy it over time - it's not an immediate delight like BR or Rushmore.

however the one scene i absolutely loved was

(SPOILER)

when Hackman tells Angelica Houston that he's dying, then that he wasn't... then that he was. it was so great that Anderson did it in one take, no editting...

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
What's the name of the 2 songs playing over the following scenes:
1) When Gwyneth Paltrow steps off the bus to greet Luke Wilson.
2) The funeral scene at the end.
Neither appear to be on the soundtrack album (:angry:). I understand rights issues offer limit a soundtrack's contents, but these were two of my favourites from the film and the fact that I can't find them is so frustrating.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Great music.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
when Paltrow steps off the bus, the song is These Days by Nico, which is on the soundtrack. the funeral features The Fairest of the Seasons by Nico, also on the soundtrack. as they are leaving, the song is Everyone by Van Morrison, which is not on the soundtrack.

for a complete list of songs used in the movie (on or off the soundtrack), go to imdb.com go to the Royal Tenenbaums page and click soundtrack listings...

hope that helps

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Both of those songs are from Nico's album Chelsea Girl which is well worth having, IMO. Those are my two favorite songs from the album. I adore Wes Anderson for using them.
Nico had a heart attack while riding a bike, I believe, rather than having a bike accident.
"These Days" is currently being used in a K-Mart commercial (!), though they stop before the singing starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks