What's new

*** Official "THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Royal Tenenbaums is due for release on 12/14.. I recall it was going to be a limited release but it seems as if it has garnered enough buzz to get a wider release. Anyone know facts?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed shows its platforms thusly:
14 December 01 - NYC/LA
21 December 01 - 14 markets (We probably get it in Boston. Woo-hoo!)
28 December 01 - 23 markets
11 January 02 - Wide

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I loved it. If you're a fan of Wes Anderson's two other films, you'll most likely have a ball here. Hackman is outstanding, Paltrow is perfect, Stiller handles a smallish supporting role extremely well. The screenplay is alternately sweet, acidic and brutally funny. The visual style is a sight to behold. (Every set piece looks like a work of art.) There's not much more I can say without divulging something, and that's something I refuse to do.
If you're looking forward to this one, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
(I'm asked to not post reviews until a film's release date, so that's all you're getting out of me! :) )

Pascal A

Second Unit
Sorry to be the dissenter, but I found The Royal Tenenbaums to be average at best when I saw it at the New York Film Festival a few months ago (here's the NYFF thread). The film seemed a bit formulaic in its attempts at disfunctionality, especially after Rushmore, although I concede that this film sports a better cast.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Scott, I hope you are right about this movie. Although Ebert and Roeper gave the movie two thumbs up, they didn't seem that impressed with it.

~T

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I can't wait. Screening scheduled for Tuesday the 18th!

As for Ebert and Roeper's response, Ebert didn't give positive reviews to Bottle Rocket or Rushmore, so a recommendation for The Royal Tenenbaums sounds good to me.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I know Ebert didn't like Anderson's first two movies, but Roeper seemed to have liked them.

I just found out that the Beatles' songs won't be in the final version of the movie. Instead, there will be instrumental versions of those songs.

~T

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
From the release dates @ IMDb, it appears to be a wide release on 12/14. It appeared at the NYC Film Festival on 10/05; usually it would notate (limited) out to the side. I don't know - I'll simply add my name to the list who hopes it will come to their town. :emoji_thumbsup:

AaronJB

Second Unit
I saw the film at a press screening about a week ago. I've been told that the film is NY/LA 12/14 and wide release 12/21.

Great flick though. Terrific performances from Stiller and Hackman especially, with good support by the Wilsons and Paltrow. It's a bit heavier than "Rushmore" or "Bottle Rocket", there are still certainly some laughs to be had.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Right - commercial states 12/14 release date for NY/LA - no release date for other venues however. I'll probably have to wait until the 28th for it to filter down to around here. :frowning:

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
I drove up to Manhattan yesterday to catch The Royal Tenenbaums. It was definitely worth the trip! Not as perfect as Rushmore (not much is), but fantastic stuff just the same. I'm still smiling.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Just saw Tenenbaums and this is definitely on my top 5 films of 2001. All the performances were superb, especially Gene Hackman. Definitely a must see if you loved Rushmore.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Last I knew, it was scheduled to open in Columbus on January 4. So maybe some of the middle-tier cities will get it then. Can't wait to see it again!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I saw it this weekend. (My wife asked me to wait until she started her vacation, so that she could join me.) Parts of it are very funny, but I was unprepared for the underlying tone of deep sadness. The trailer emphasizes the humor, but the film's P.R. tagline suggests the darker undertone: "Family isn't a word. It's a sentence."

The film is one of the most gorgeously photographed works I've seen in a long time. Almost every frame is a meticulously composed still you'd like to pause and study.

M.

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Saw The Royal Tenenbaums for a second time over the weekend, when it opened here in D.C., and it charmed me all over again. I love Wes Anderson's stuff. It just plain makes me feel good.
I'm goin' back in the next couple days. :)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Saw it tonight...

Mmmmm... Very good, very clever, very well acted... I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as out & out 'action' as the trailer makes it appear. Don't get me wrong - it's a good film that my wife & I both enjoyed, just not quite what we were expecting.

Some great acting in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks