What's new

*** Official "THE ROOKIE" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Rookie". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues, I have designated an Official Discussion Thread which can be found at this link.
Crawdaddy

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Seems my original review post may have gotten lost in the shuffle, but here goes...

Caught this new family film last week at a sneak preview at our local military base.

A minor but enjoyable movie that will bore little kids, and mildly interest some older ones if they're interested in baseball. A "G" rated grown-up film that tells the true story of Jim Morris, a high school science teacher and coach takes a shot at his big league dreams as a pitcher after his high school team wins a district competition.

Acting was generally good all the way around, and many in our audience could relate to the early story of Morris as the son of a Navy chief, who must pick up and move every couple of years, because home is where the Navy sends you.

The depiction of Morris in the minors was disjointed, with a subplot of Morris' relationship with a couple of the other players a little confusing.

Target audience for this movie is tricky. It's not high energy enough for most pre-teen/teen audiences, and like I said, it's going to bore kids under 10. So that leaves an older audience, and unless they are really interested in sports or Morris' story, there's not a lot of reason to see "The Rookie." I take that back -- Dennis Quaid IS this movie, and is absolutely the reason to see it

My wife, who is a sports fan, commented as soon as it was over "Well, there wasn't enough action in it for me." This morning, after reflecting on the film, she's decided that her favorite part was the movie was Morris' relationship with his 8 year old son, and the values he works to infuse in him.

I'd give it 2 1/2 out of 4 stars. Okay, but I doubt I'd buy the DVD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This film was very much on an even keel the entire way, it didn't get too high, nor too low.

If you like baseball yarns, it'd make for a good matinee. Dennis Quaid does a very credible job looking like a 40 year old trying to chase a 20 year old dream that got away from him in his youth. He plays Jim Morris as a man with a lot of real world responsibilities, and the dream of getting one last shot in the majors tugging equally as hard.

Good baseball movies are usually about life, and this one was no exception. While being rather predictable, it had a gentle warmth to the overall tone of the film. There are some quiet laughs, and plenty of cute shots of Morris's son, Hunter, who steals every scene he is in. Rachel Griffiths does a good job with a Texas accent (she's British, BTW), and does keep Jim grounded for most of the film, but she's smart enough to understand the adage "if you love someone, set them free...(to chase their dreams)."

The high school baseball team that Morris coached is full of characters that bring quite a few chuckles in the 1st part of the film, as do the 3 old-timers that add humorous commentary to what's going on in the film.

All in all, the audience that I saw the film with did not seem all that bored with the film, in spite of its 2 hour running time. This film does take ample time to cover much of Jim Morris's journey, and maybe it's true: You can go back home.

I rate it 3 stars, or a grade of B (for baseball).

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
**** out of **** One of the all-time great sports movies - in a class with Field of Dreams, Rudy, Hoosiers, Remember the Titans and Bang the Drum Slowly. Excellent performances, cinematography, and a great Steve Earle song at the end.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Okay, better late than never.
Once in a while a film comes along that rises above its humble material and resonates more even with its sheer simplicity. Last year, that was The Road Home for me. So far this year, that title belongs to The Rookie.
In addition, while not one of its major themes, its story about relationships between fathers and sons gets more mileage here and without the pomp and circumstance and the glitzy production values associated with another film released during the summer, Road To Perdition.
The reward in watching a film like The Rookie, where one already has an idea of what eventually takes place, is the journey that it takes us through. It is powered by a fine performance by Dennis Quaid as Jim Morris, whose life the film is based on.
The Rookie with its utter sincerity is heartfelt and manages to inspire.
~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I did not post my review here, but it would sound a lot like Edwin's. The telling of the story elevates it from simplistic to wonderfully appealing.

And Dennis Quaid once again takes what seems like a modest role and makes it pay off in full (not unlike Frequency).

I gave it an 8 of 10. Solid enjoyment that would have been worth paying to see at the theater (I rented it).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks