What's new

*** Official "THE RING" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Translation: Edwin's letting critics he follows decide for him to wait on seeing The Ring because those critics thought the film was Bo-Ring.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I've already decided to see it regardless of what those critics said. Now, it just didn't have to be on opening day as I had originally planned it. Sometime in the next few days will do.

~Edwin

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Ring". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "The Ring" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Just threw up my review on the review thread, comments are welcome!
mmm mmm mmm, I loved that movie.
Justin_S, you get mad props for all the hype you put out for this baby. Now let me know if they put out Silent Night, Deadly Night on DVD, kay?:D

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Terrible. Elvis Mitchell's review in the New York Times pretty much took the words out of my mouth (fingers?). I'm just not scared by tired-looking creepy little kids who somehow "know" things (and who say laughable things like "the dark place") and I certainly don't think that a creepy tone can be set by people who constantly say out loud that which they are thinking or reading. I did find the ending sequence to be a bit enjoyable, as it vaguely defied expectations, but it wasn't enough to make up for the cringe-worthy pat false ending that preceded it. Any film can make viewers jump by having things suddenly appear on the screen or with sudden sounds, but it takes a film of much greater weight to create some kind of genuine fear in the viewer. The Ring wasn't up to the challenge by a longshot. For an investigation-of-an-urban-legend-that-kills-people film, I'll take Candyman over The Ring any day of the week.
DJ

Christopher D

Second Unit
It was generally pretty good, and on balance a lot more improvements than problems. I finally understood the darn story, which I didn't find completely clear in the original (or maybe that's because I did so much fast forwarding during the original).

I agree with the comments uptopic that the ending seemed Hollywood happy and weaker than the original. The tape itself was "dumbed down" a bit to spoonfeed the story. And I was extremely disappointed with the scene at the climax where Sadako/Samara comes out of the screen.

I watched the original at home in a dark room and it absolutely scared the crap out of me, partly due to the overall claustrohobia and partly because of the dark, neither of which came through at all in whats-his-name's big, bright loft during the daytime.

I also agree with the uptopic observation that David Lynch might have made this film a masterpiece. Can you imagine what Lynch would have done with the tape?!?

It was OK, but I left a little disappointed.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I also caught the sneak preview last week, and think it's the best thing I've seen all year (and that includes "The Tuxedo"). My friend did point out something inconsistent, though...

Why does Naomi Watts still experience "symptoms" after she makes the copy of the tape?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
David,
Maybe because you still get the 7 day effect but you just don't die?
By the way, you can download the "video". I found it through IGN.
Also, I just got my hands on the original Ring this morning. I can't wait to thrown it in and see how the two compare.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I didn't mind the film, but I didn't like it either. I guess I was ruined by a similar film that I saw not too long ago, feardotcom, which I hated immensely.

nate n

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen the jap version of the ring? How's it different. I'll be getting a copy soon. Are the prequels and sequels any good and do they explain about the tape. I still have lots of questions after watching the movie. Who the hell made the tape? Why did the mom kill the daughter? Did the father and mother see the tape? Lots of holes left for discussion in this one.

Wilson W

Agent
In the "original" japanese movie, Sadako's (Samara in the remake) relationship with her parents was quite different than the remake.

In the remake, it seems that the mother killed Samara because she was causing some "visions" she had seen (although what those visions were was not discussed) and mostly, Samara did not turn out to be the daughter she expected.

The tape was made, as suggested in both films, by Sadako/Samara projecting her hatred directly onto the tape, that's why Noah said he could not find out how the tape was recorded. This part was revealed differently but more clearly in the original.

I guess what makes this more difficult to understand or believe in the remake, was that they took out the supernatural elelments from the original. Samara's power was never explored.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I'm interested in seeing this film. I've only ever heard of the original, I've never seen it.
I'd like to pose a question to those who enjoyed this film: what are your top favorite horror films, and how does this version of The Ring compare to that list?
Just wanting to get a sense of the context behind your reviews.
Thanks in advance!

nate n

Stunt Coordinator
The only films that have scared me were exorcist, maybe cuz i was younger, and the ring. I give the ring more credit because i'm older now and hardly any movies even fade me. The ring however was way too creepy and disturbing. I feel its clever how they use a tape, vcr and television as mediums for horror. The result is that after the movie, everytime u see these objects, it'll freak u out because ur reminded of the movie. Damn i turned to the wrong channel and some static came on and i was freaked out!! Brilliant movie.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Russell,
I got my copy of the Ring from Link Removed. They also have Ring 2 but not Ring 0, atleast not the last time I checked.
The disc is All-Region but PAL.

Julie K

Screenwriter
***spoilers***

There were some good things about The Ring, at times the atmosphere was quite nice and I especially liked Samara coming out of the TV.

However, overall, I was rather disappointed. I'm too am tired of weird little kids who know things and see dead people. I also felt that there was not enough exploration of Samara's evilness and hatred. I also think the "make a copy 'coz she wants to be heard" came out of nowhere and it felt just a bit too much like "well, they have to live and we have to wrap this thing up!"

I suspect I would like the original better and will have to hunt that down.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I got to see this yesterday morning and despite some rather loud and foul-mouthed hooligans in front of me, I really enjoyed it. I'd been anticipating the film for at least four months or so, and I wasn't disappointed at all. I'll definitely be going back to see this one again before it leaves theaters (which will hopefull be a while).
I've never seen the original Japanese version, nor that film's sequel/prequel, so I can't say how it compared stylistically or plot-wise, but the one thing that confused me overall was how the tape itself was made. They kept referring to its questionable origins but nothing was really ever said about it other than "she wanted to be heard." From what I've read about the original, it was a projection of Sadako/Samara's hatred, but nothing was really said of it in the remake.

That aside, a truly creepy and unsettling film. I'm slightly claustrophobic so the sequence with Rachel at the bottom of the well with Samara's body
was really unnerving. Two thumbs way way up!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks