What's new

*** Official The Prestige Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Saw this last night. For me, it was much better than THE ILLUSIONIST; although it still used a cheat in the form of an impossible duplicating machine. The explanation for the machine was glib, but at least they did try to explain it away by having Tesla make his pronouncement about science not working exactly the way you expect. It was just a glib way of saying, "I don't know how it works either, but it does".

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith

Yes, but the only reason to take the act to the exreme is because they've both agreed to live the ruse. If it is THAT important to play the part, why would they break the rules when they took the girl (the one that alfred married) out, and then the other twin was waiting in her house when she went inside? And if they were willing to break the rules in THAT way, why not break them when more important things are at stake?

You know like when the other twin is arguing with his wife?

It just seems like their way of life was kept intact more for the sake of the plot than to make any actual realistic sense.

Not that I mind, it's just interesting to discuss.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I don't think having the other twin in the room was a "mistake". He's a magician and was trying to provide a suitable aura of mystery for his wife who would just write the whole thing up to a trick. It would only have been a mistake is she saw the two of them at the same time.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
My reaction was like yours, until I read this thread, which prompted me to did a little bit of reading about Tesla, and now I'm a lot happier about it - simply because the use of Tesla makes it a lot less contrived. From what I have read, it does seem that the machine is the type of thing that Tesla really did believe he could achieve. So it's lot like they pulled it out of nowhere. Knowing that made me a lot happier wth the story.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't the Hugh Jackman at the end a duplicate himself? I assume the ORIGINAL Hugh Jackman was the first to drown when they did the first performance. So the Hugh Jackman at the end was already a duplicate of a duplicate of a duplicate ect... which is why I think Michael Caine had no problems in letting Christian Bale finish him off.

NovaBlitz

Agent
Real Name
John Smith

Actually I think the original Hugh Jackman was the one that was shot by the copy when he first did the experiment in his home.

Although, original or not, an exact copy is just that, exact. They would both think they were the original and they'd both be right on a molecular level. No one would be able to prove which were which.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Did the copy remain in the machine and was the original transported, or was it the other way around?

In any case, at the moment of duplication they were identical, so it doesn't matter which one was killed.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
My interpretation was that the original stayed where it was, and the copy reappeared. But that mainly just because it's the easiest explanation. The distinction between the original and the copy is pretty minimal.

I understand there is a clearer distinction between the original and the copy in the bok, so if anyone has read the book, feel free to offer comment.

(Sidenote: None of the shops here in New Zealand actually have the book in stock. So a while ago, I decided to order the book because I wanted to read it. Waited a month, finally it arrives. I buy it, put it in my briefcase. Later that day, I park somewhere for five minutes while I picked something else up, and in that time, some bastard stole my briefcase from my car. Including my brand-new copy of the The Prestige that I hadn't even had an opportunity to read the first page of. So unfortunately I can't offer any comment about how the original/copy worked in the book.)

John Chow

Second Unit
Actually, I seem to remember there was a line in the movie where Hugh Jackman's character was discussing getting his hands dirty, with reference to the beginning of the movie where he was unwilling to kill the birds. Anyway, I seem to remember him mentioning the courage that it took not knowing whether he would be the one on the stage or the one in the tank, kind of implying there was a randomness to the whole process.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

The thing about that, which I love, is that from a certain perspective, every single time....he is both.

He is always the Prestige, and he is always the one in the tank. Since he starts as one individual with one mind, each time he steps into the machine he is wondering, "Which one will I be?". The machine then duplicates him exactly, and the one that is 'teleported' immediately thinks, "Thank God! Yes! I'm the Prestige", while the one who falls into the tank thinks, "My God! No! I'm going to die this time".

Also, the one who is 'living' at any given time after he started performing the tick has 'always' been the Prestige (from his perspective) and never fell in the tank. Though technically that is just his perspective. And he kept that perspective until Borden killed him. But the one who falls in the tank remembers every time before that in which he was 'The Prestige', except "this time" he drowns.

It's just really wild and I love it. Every time he does it he is the Prestige. And also every time he does it, he dies. And from his perspective, the one who lives is the only one who matters (and decides to keep doing it). Sure he probably feels differently about that each time he falls into the tank. But that perspective isn't learned by the one who lives, so he just keeps doing it.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

I would probably go with that explanation as well. It could be quite possible that his various copies are never made fully aware of how straightforward the process is. You do NOT get split into two, only a copy is spun off and it is impossible for you consciously to teleport into that second body, as many have theorized in regards to teleportation in Star Trek. Instead the original feels nothing, only to be lowered to his death. The original probably hates himself horribly every time for bieng so foolish every single time, and yet it is the decision he has made, never wanting to have to live to see a different person receive applause for something he 'performed'.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I saw this for the first on BD and WOW! This movie is an instant classic. :emoji_thumbsup: I loved it. I had seen the Illusionist few weeks before and I hated it, looks like a child’s play compared to The Prestige.

Many things could be discussed about this movie but there is one major issue and please explain this to me. What I loved about The Prestige was how it was based in reality and how everything was real. The Xerox machine put me off a little, so please explain to me why it was necessary and what it added to the story? It could have gone a reality-based route.

Oh, and please tell me that in real magic,..I mean real life, magicians don’t kill animal and if they did, what’s the history on that?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Can I just announce, since I've already referred to it in this thread...

Two weeks to the day after my briefcase was stolen from my car, it was found in a neighbouring alleyway and returned today, contents intact - including the copy of The Prestige novel.

Just like The Transported Man, my briefcase disappeared from one place and reappeared somewhere else.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Just watched this again...loved it even better the second time. It really is a film that rewards multiple viewings.

This time, I couldn't help feel a bit more...sorry for Angier at the end. I know this was a rivalry film, but I don't necessarily think the "better man" won. They both made lots of sacrifices (and lies) for their craft and I really came away this time thinking that Borden was the cold blooded murderer. Of course, if you think Angier set Borden up (something I am not sure the film supports) then you could say that Angier was a cold blooded murderer too. And you can't really say that Angier was a "murderer" during his prestige with the Tesla machine because that was really a suicide.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I felt the EXACT same way. I really felt bad for Angier. I mean, he was even gonna fully support Borden's daughter.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't know why anyone would feel bad for Angier. So what, if he was going to support Borden's daughter? The fact remains that there was no need for him to support Borden's daughter, because Borden was innocent of the crime for which he was condemned. Angier's prison conversation with "Borden" reveals that Borden's daughter was merely a prize to Angier. She was the memento that would act as a daily reminder of Angier's total victory over his hated rival. Angier didn't care a whit about the kid. He only cared about what the kid represented to him. All in all, Angier was a low-life scumbag. He was so determined to get rid of Borden that he was even willing to murder himself again and again in order to accomplish his revenge.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Edwin:

Angier was certainly a scumbag. Not sure whether he was a murderer, because the film doesn't really support the notion that Angier set Borden up. Oh, sure, he never said anything after Borden got caught, which makes him culpable in some sense, but not sure that makes him a murderer.

Borden, on the other hand, DID murder Angier at the end. Even if it was an act of retribution, it was still murder.

At the end of the day, they were both rivals...not sure either one deserved to survive.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

But you make it sound as if Borden was innocent. Borden was just as much of a scumbag as Angier. And this is where it gets confusing as there are really TWO Bordens. The nasty one that was hanged deserved everything he got. He wouldn't stop inticing Angier by twice damaging his show... There is nothing to support that Angier was actually going to kill and shoot Borden. He was angry and close to doing it... but he didn't. Angier shot his fingers but he was grieving the loss of his wife and Borden showed absolutely no remorse for what had happened. Angier had even warned him to NOT tie his knot. After the shooting, Angier had begun to piece his life back together when Borden killed the bird during his show. It was Borden that kept Angier going. He might not have killed anyone but sometimes the manipulation is just as bad as the act.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks