What's new

*** Official "THE POWERPUFF GIRLS" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Powerpuff Girls". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.
Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!
If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.
Crawdaddy

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
:star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star:
I must admit, since The Powerpuff Girls is one of my favorite shows, I would have enjoyed just about anything Craig McCracken and Co. put on the screen. Unfortunately, very little was.
Some have complained that since the origin story is recapped in seconds at the beginning of every episode, it was a bad idea to focus an entire movie on it. I don't agree with this; to tell an in-depth origin story is to show characters' initial reactions and how personalities come to be. When the movie does this it works. I love that Buttercup essentially discovers that violence is the answer near the end.
Yet much of the time it seems like the filmmakers, for no reason, are confining themselves to that few seconds of backstory. It's as though they knew they were looking for a wider audience than the fans, and held themselves back more than necessary.
The animation is excellent, in its own way, of course, as is the voice work. The inherent humor in the way the characters are drawn and voiced is the reason the movie is enjoyable even when it slows down. The quality of the animation is improved in a number of subtle ways, but thankfully nothing is a departure from the show's proven style.
It's frustrating that the next step isn't taken in plotting, but I'd have high hopes for a sequel that doesn't hold itself back, and is more than a loose collection of nice details and references.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw this film knowing nothing about the PPG. At least I ws treated to their origin, thus not as lost as I would be if it was a film that required some previous knowledge of the cartoon.

It was okay, I got a little restless in the middle of the film. The puns on apes and monkeys and homages to such films featuring simians ranged anywhere from inspired to eye-rolling, so a mixed bag for me.

But it wasn't too dreadful, and most kids will enjoy it.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B- for Blossom/Bubbles/Buttercup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks