*** Official THE PACIFIER Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Uh, not as badly as you'd think. While "Chronicles of Riddick" did poorly, it's worldwide gross ($116M) made it basically break even, and good DVD sales helped. The other two of his last three were relatively low budget (especially "knockaround guys" which was -very- low budget)

The Pacifier had a budget of $55M, and is already over $65M, not counting any international grosses, and it will likely top $90M or so. Counting in DVD sales, a fairly profitable little venture.

Not saying he's a gigantic star, but definitely saying he isn't "box office poison"..

That having been said, the Pacifier was a passable, by the numbers kind of film with a few pretty funny moments.. and, as to those that referenced the Ice Cube film (which right now I have in my "years worst" list) I can say it's nowhere near that bad. Not even close. That movie is evil; the kids in that movie aren't just prankster-ish, they are satan incarnate.. and it's not funny.

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Uh, actually it's production budget was $105 million & it's marketing costs were $35 million (domestic) so no, it did not break even in the theaters. A Man Apart has practically the same run down, production & marketing costs higher than the international gross.
    So my statement regarding his needing a hit were true for an actor who is basically just starting his career, Vin isn't a household name yet so he needs success to professionally afford a few high budget (Riddick) failures & his last few films were not hits.
    That's the way Hollywood works, I stand by my opinion.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

An action star switching gears to obvious family fare is (usually) a sign of career desperation. I find it hilarious that Diesel turned down all sorts of action flicks cuz they wouldn't meet his price tag, only to show up in a horrifically awful "poop comedy" from the worst director in Hollywood.

I distinctly remember seeing Vin Diesel in Boiler Room and thinking "Wow, this guy could do some really good stuff." Nowadays I wish he would just go away.

4. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

Maybe Diesel should work in a film with The Rock, he seems to be able to pick good projects and not take himself too seriously.

5. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Surprise, surprise. The film is turning out to be Vin Diesel's most successful film since The Fast and the Furious and xXx.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

"A Man Apart" had a production budget of $36M with $4.2M of that in weighted incentives, with a total studio financed value of $32.6M. The film grossed $26M at US Box Office, and $17.8M abroad, with a marketing cost value of $18.1M. So, you're right in the sense it "lost money" at the box office (~%6M) However, counting in ancillary sales to DVD, cable revenues, and so forth, the film will not lose money.

Look at it this way: "The Punisher" barely broke even at the box office, and is already greenlit for a sequel. I deal with movie promoters every day of the week, and if you've got a film that breaks even or cuts it close at the box office, then you've done OK and the studio is content. When the studio loses big on a production, or loses small on a small production, they are unhappy; the reason is because ancillary sales benefits aren't there.

Look at Hillary Duff. "Raise your Voices" was not a hit. Not even close; making $10M at a set cost of $17.5M, with marketing cost of $9.4M, it lost double it's budget... HOWEVER, the film is a lock for disney in it's support of Disney Channel and other mediums, will have fair resale value into the cable and DVD markets, and so on, and so Disney is fairly OK with this.

That's the difference.. if you have a film where the ancillary benefits are figured in, in most cases, it's hard to really bomb.. when you really bomb is when a film is bad in such a way that the ancillary benefits are none.. see something like Battlefield Earth; in that case, the rights to show on cable, etc. held very little worth because the risk assessment was across multiple companies and cable companies didn't want to pay.

Did Vin Diesel need a hit? Well, it never hurts. Right now he's got one film rapping production (Find Me Guilty) one in initial set work (Hannibal) and two others (Dead By Dawn, early next year; and Rockfish, 2007)..

In other words, I wouldn't worry about him "hurting for work"

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Pacifier" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Pacifier" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy