*** Official "THE NEW GUY" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Crawford, May 9, 2002.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The New Guy". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
    All HTF member film reviews of "The New Guy" should be posted to this thread.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    Crawdaddy

2. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I will be making the trip to see this on Saturday after the film has been delayed for over a year and a half.
    I think this will be the only positive post in this thread. [​IMG]

3. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Isn't Dush in this one? That might be a positive. If she's not... eh!

4. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Hahaha [​IMG]

6. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I will be going to this one as well, thought it looked like a brainless good time SIX MONTHS AGO when they started attaching the trailer to movies. The delays have me worried.....any idea why it was shelved for so long? That usually happens for only one reason. Oh well, I'm in need of a comedy....though I alwasy prefer my comedies to actually be funny.

7. Matthew Chmiel

8. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Ive been seeing this trailer for about year and a half now and still have zero desire to see it. My guess is that it kept getting pushed back becasue test screenings went terribly.

9. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"Yeah, I remember seeing the trailer to Hardball when it came out in September."
    Hell, I saw the trailer well over a year ago infront of "Josie and the Pussycats," if I remember correctly.
    And Chmiel, Bill Harris and myself look like the only ones who will be seeing this. [​IMG]
    Jason

10. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

I remember seeing the trailer the first time I went to Cinemark Tinseltown in Vancouver. The flick was Where the Heart Is and that was back in April of 2000.
    So it seems I have Jason beat by a year [​IMG]
    I'm not making this up. I remember this like it was yesterday since it was the first time I had seen the trailer.

11. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

My best guess is that it got shelved due to the bombing of other movies in it's genre, like Joe Dirt, Freddie Got Fingered, etc, which all had their release dates around the May 21 date "New Guy" was supposed to hit theaters. Maybe the studio needed the success of American Pie 2 to convince them that a gross-out teen comedy could still make it.

I'm hitting the 7:00 show tonight, I'll let you guys know.

12. Matthew Chmiel

13. Damian James

Damian James Stunt Coordinator

Personally I can't believe the amount of money they have dumped into advertising for this piece of garbage. There are some movies you can tell are going to bomb just from the previews, and this is one of those.

14. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

15. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I certainly didn't like The New Guy, but it isn't altogether awful. Then again, it isn't very funny either. I found it tolerable, which probably has something to do with the PG-13 rating keeping it at least next to the zip code of good taste. DJ Qualls has a goofy, likeable quality that carries the film enough. (Nice touch casting Lyle Lovett as his father.)

Let me reiterate. The New Guy isn't good, but it's leagues above Van Wilder.

16. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Just caught the 7:00 show. I laughed more than I groaned, which I guess is the most you can ask from comedies today. Definitely worth a look IF you are a fan of the genre. Of course, even if you aren't, there's Dushku, Zooey, and Sunny Mabrey to keep you watching (I'm a Zooey man myself, to the point where, with my wife's permission, and the help of a scientific breakthrough, I'd like to have her baby). Qualls can have a bright future if he doesn't get typecast in this type of role forever. The cameos are great, especially the Gene Simmons one and one at the very end that I had not heard about beforehand. Owes more than a little to "Can't Buy Me Love", but not near as cohesive as that flick....this one's been through the edit bay a couple too many times, and therefore plays more like a series of sketches than a movie.

And no, I don't consider this a review, a review would be WAAAY more thorough and lengthy.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    ok what (besides the girls) in the trailer would make anyone want to go see this movie? i didn't see anything that looked funny or even a little amusing.

this looks like the type of movie i wouldn't pay $5.50 to see. that is the daytime price for movies around my way.

i don't think i would waste $4 to rent it and maybe i would watch it on hbo.

thats going by reading about the "plot" or story. and what i've seen in the trailer. which is normaly used to try to get people to want to see the movie. i didn't see anything in that to make me want to see this.

so why will you go to see this. and please don't say the girls. that's not a real reason when you can see the same thing or better on tv or the internet.

18. Matthew Chmiel

19. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

You only admire him b/c he was in a movie with RINI BELL!!!!

SOme weird, sick six degrees of RINI BELL thing,,,,,,,

20. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer