What's new

*** Official THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/05/htf_imgcache_33377.gif][URL="https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/0/05/htf_imgcache_33377.gif"] [/url][/URL]

I like this quote from an AP review. I especially like the reviewer's observance that "younger generations are going to have some funky ideas about the past".

Really? A film about a bunch of mummies that come to life along with the appearance of a Yeti, but young people are going to get the wrong idea about the historical past. Who goes to a mummy movie to get an objective and accurate documentarist view of the past? Obviously, the guy who wrote this review.

I also like his observance about the absurdity of this film. Really? I never knew that a film with Mummies and Yetis walking around couldn't be anything more than absurd. Who'da thunk..?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
he was wrong about van helsing.. truely the worse movie I had ever seen in my life.. no thanks.

Jacob

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Wow, that review is like complaining that Jason and the Argonauts isn't an accurate depiction of Greek history! Talk about missing the boat! :laugh:

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
10% at RT w/ 10 positives and 102 negatives. I'm certainly not always in agreement with critics, but that many people can't be wrong. Besides, I always thought it looked like a dog from the trailer alone.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, after actually seeing it, I have to agree with a lot of the comments in the snippets from the negative reviews. If this one doesn't kill this franchise then the franchise will be a real-life analogue of the mummy: embalmed but undying and wretched.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Am I going to be the only one to publicly admit seeing this movie? ;)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
How's the score by Randy Edelman? His previous scores with Rob Cohen (Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and Dragonheart) were incredible and have been used in countless trailers and Oscar clips since. Does this score even approach that level?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, I'm not sure about Mr. Sun, but I found I didn't really notice the score that much. The sound effects of explosions, gunfire, etc., seemed to drown out everything at key points. It was such a sonic onslaught that it almost left you dazed. I would actually have to see it again in order to note the quality of the score, but I just couldn't bring myself to waste 10 more bucks on M3.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Mummy: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Mummy: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One thing I am curious. How old was their son?? He looked like he was in his early to mid-twenties. Thats a big gap from the first two movies. And they haven't aged much (O'Connel & Evie).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This is why Roger Ebert has become useless to me as a film critic. He simply can't be trusted to give a review that bears any resemblance to how I would react to a film.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

:confused: I don't get it. How is Ebert or any reviewer for that matter going to know how you react to a film? If you already know how you are going to react then you would seek out reviewers that reflect those reactions. If Ebert or another reviewer doesn't match then his review automatically becomes irrelevant.

Where does trust come in to it? Surely, you can't have agreed with a favorite critic 100 per cent of the time when it comes to rating a film? Did you used to agree more often than not with Ebert's assessments?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty much exactly what I said. Ebert is irrelevant to me.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I never saw any of the Mummy movies on the big screen and I'll probably follow suit here. Definetly looks like a DVD purchase for me. I do find Ebert's review a little interesting. I think I'll use my free AMC Gold ticket for Clone Wars.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's a big silly popcorn movie in the mold of the old cliffhanger serials. No more no less. I got what I was expecting to see.

I would have enjoyed it more if that dog-damned shaky-cam didn't keep rearing it's ugly head. Some shots are framed so incredibly tight, it's literally a pan and scan level of visual confusion. I swear the movie was shot by two different people who never once consulted with each other!

There seemed to be more than a few nods to Indiana Jones. One of Alex's assistants at the dig site seems to be wearing a fedora and leather jacket.

The score was really nice. Especially during the closing credits, which have a "300" look to them. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks