*** Official THE MISSING Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Missing". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Yes, this movie is long, probably 10 minutes too long, but I was won over by the performances from Cate Blanchette, and the young girl who plays her younger daughter, Dot.

I was expecting the worse, but what unfolded was actually interesting enough to keep me interested in how it would end up. I did think the weak spot was Tommy Lee Jones, who doesn't bring much to the table (I thought it was almost sleepwalking through his role).

Ron Howard does humor well, decent with drama, and those parts work, what he isn't all that great at are the action scenes, the shootouts and gunplay.

Keep your expectations low, and you might come to like this film.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
  3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Feb 8, 2001
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] - out of four
    Quite frankly this is the best american made film I've seen this year, and it may very well be the best film I've seen this year. There is so much to love in this film it is hard to even approach it.

First of all The Missing is a modern western in the vein of Unforgiven and Open Range, not Tombstone or Young Guns. There is a wonderful sensation of detail and accuracy to the film. This is not a film colored with modern conventions of characters roles in society, the biggest example of this is that the writers approached the children as realistic to the 1880s, this is not the Victorianized idealization of children that's been embedded into modern society on far too many levels. Second, the main characters are pretty deeply flawed but have interesting depths to them. Every character in the Missing grows and develops before our eyes. Cate Blanchett, Jena Boyd, and Tommy Lee Jones all give staggering performances each worthy of oscar nominations, and in my opinion so far a win. Jena Boyd is especially great, the performance this nine year old turned in broke my heart and stunned me. This girl is less than a year older than my youngest sister, and look what she can accomplish, incredible!

There are so many little touches in the film that made me fall in love with it. The Sears-Roebuck 'toilet paper', Maggie using a splitting maul correctly, Dot squirting milk on her shoes. Wonderful sensation of the homefront life that is rarely seen in on film.

I didn't know the length of this film when I went in, I seriously thought it was about 100-110 minutes, it passed by so quickly. That it was more than two hours stunned me!

And most importantly of all, I must bow down in awe to the themes expressed in this film. The family drama that is the heart and soul of the film is truly incredible. The determination and sacrifices this familiy makes for each other is amazing. Even though Maggie has been deeply hurt by her father, she gradually comes to understand and even accept him back into their family. This growth is natural and delightful, culminating in an extremely heartfelt scene. This scene is the real climax of the movie. Oh Ron Howard hits the western conventions of the necessary gun play on the head (I mean it wouldn't be much of a western without some shootin!), but this scene is simply incredible and I'll probably go back to see this film again, just for that scene. That is what real great acting is like. And Tommy Lee Jones' final moment in the film is so extrodinarily perfect: it embodies everything that family REALLY is.