*** Official THE MISSING Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Quentin, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I don't see a thread for this...so I'll dig in...

This is, by far, one of my favorites of the year. I'm a sucker for westerns, and a "re-imagining" of one of my favorites (The Searchers) gets a big thumbs up from me.

However, I have to say Sony has completely botched the marketing. Why market this as a thriller or supernatural thriller? A lot of the commercials I've seen do this. Yes, there is a "Brujo" in the film, but there are ony like two scenes of the shamanistic "witchcraft" (and they are, IMO, the worst scenes of the film). This is a WESTERN people! Why not market it as such?

My only other gripe other than the stupid "witchcraft" scenes (should have eliminated that aspect) are Howard's poorly shot action/stunt sequences. The guy is a great director for character moments - and he loses his typical sentimentality here for a strong, hard film. But, every time we have action, it is poorly shot and edited. The flood, the rescue, the "siege". Yuck. Too bad.

Also, I thought the little girl who played Dot put in one HELL of a performance. Nice work.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Missing" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Missing" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

3. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Frankly, I don't get the "rotten" ranking on RT. I read many of the negative reviews on this one, and I can sum them all up in one word - cynical.

Oh well...I guess I buy into western setups more easily...and as for political correctness? Come on...I just don't see it.

4. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    I just saw this movie tonite, and being a big ron howard fan was very much looking forward to it. But i must say that i was very disappointed. The movie was too long, and howard seemed lost once the TLJ character and the CB character hooked up to find the stolen child. Before that, their respective characters were strongly drawn and had clear motives. Afterwards, they turned to mush.

There were so many missed opportunities for good action scenes, and howard clearly didn't know how to end it.

Plus, it's impossible to watch this film and not compare it to the Searchers, one of the best movies (western or otherwise) ever made, and this film pales by that comparison.

5. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but I caught myself groaning not once, but twice when the daughters do something stupid to move the plot along.

I also thought TLJ was TLJ in that he didn't seem to inhabit the character, him speakin Indian notwithstanding. It was almost like TLJ of 2003 just dropped in the 1880's and went about his business in how he talked to people.

Cate Blanchette was good, though. Then again, she's been a very dependable actress for the past decade it seems.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Movie was okay, not as good as I thought it would be considering the director and actors involved. It was funny hearing the whispers from the audience when Val Kilmer made his cameo in the film.

Crawdaddy

8. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

9. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    After seeing it again last night, I'm not as high on it. A lot of potential. A lot of thematic lines never paid off. But, I still think it's pretty solid. 7.5 out of 10.

10. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I for one loved this film.

However I don't think that Tommy Lee Jones' character Samuel (the name imdb lists) was being punished for his earlier transgressions. The climax of the film--the conversation between Samuel and Maggie when they find an understanding and she accepts him as family again--shows that he's been forgiven and doesn't need to be punished because he's family now. I think this is reinforced by his actions following this scene. Unable to stop the brujo, he chooses to sacrifice himself and kill them both before allowing him to hurt his family further--you could ask no more of family than that!

(Admin note - no spoiler text needed in the discussion thread)

Adam