What's new

*** Official "THE MATRIX RELOADED" Review Thread (1 Viewer)

John Gates

Second Unit
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I'm a big fan of The Matrix, and just watched Reloaded on Saturday. Very disappointed.

The film had no pace and flow. Sex scene with Trinity was too long and didn't even need to be in the film. Rave scene in Zion was nothing but a slow-mo orgy. "Explanation" sequences, while necessary, plodded painfully along.

No chemistry between Neo and Trinity. There is really no attempt to build a meaningful relationship that the audience can identify with. Moss and Reeves are so wooden, it's hard to believe there is any emotional attachment between these two, yet much of the film depens on this. The sex scene is included to help us believe there is "love" between these folks. I didn't get it.

"Kiss me" scene was gross. Don't have to go into detail here. Gross and pointless.

I felt like I was watching an extended video game commercial. Keys, doors, levels, bosses, the whole shibang. Bleck!

Kung-fu silly. The whole fight scene with the guardian of the Oracle was just silly. Why was it there? I came away feeling like it was just there as an excuse to show off a few good moves.

Silly characters. The introduction of the "kid" doesn't make sense and was not self-contained. Probably waiting to explain it in the next movie, but it bogged down this one. The whole love-triangle thing between Locke and Morpheus was a distraction.

On the good side

I liked several elements of the film. I liked the Senior Counselor. I though he was an interesting character.

I liked the Architect and the explanation of the "singularity," as this is the whole mind-tweek of the film.

I liked Agent Smith and the fact that he has become something "more," but I don't like how they left so much with Smith hanging out there (felt like this capsule of the series was very fragmented and incomplete, especially as far as Smith and his motivations go).

I generally enjoyed the action sequences of the film, though a few seemed to be inserted simply to test new special effects limits. Of course, that is carrying on the tradition of The Matrix, but I felt somewhat that special effects and kung-fu sequences were placed before "quality story." Special effects should support and serve the story, not the other way around.

Overall, however, these good things were not enough to help me like the film. It was a dog, and I won't be buying this one on DVD.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Haven't read the thread yet so sorry if I repeat anything already said...

I saw The Matrix Reloaded on Friday with my brother and my best friend. Going in, I was the one most hopeful of enjoying the film. When I originally heard that they were making sequels to The Matrix, my first thought was, "Why?"; it just seemed that the story ended at a satisfactory place. Then, when the first preview came out for Reloaded & Revolutions, my opinion started to change. I was definitely sold on the visuals but I still had some lingering doubts about the story. Well, after seeing it, though I was the one who liked it most out of the 3 of us who went, I was ultimately disappointed.

Was there enough of a story to satisfy me? Actually, yes. I did think they came up with a good enough story that did not come across as either a re-hashing of the first movie or something completely not related to it. Also, the special effects were - for the most part - very good. My companions felt that the effects were not very good, but I wonder if that was mostly due to it not being anything really new. I have heard complaints about the Neo vs. Smiths fight, and I'll observe it more closely if I see it again, but that one did work for me. Actually, the worst sfx moment came during my favorite sequence - the agent who jumps off the hood of the car during the freeway chase.

So, having said all that, why do I feel disappointed? Well, though it did succeed on some level, it also had problems that dragged it down. The first act of the movie was very poor IMO. Morpheus' speech and the following celebration were almost cringe-inducing. None of the new characters they introduced really connected with me. The fight before meeting the Oracle, while entertaining, had no real purpose other than to present the opportunity to have a fight scene. The explanation for Neo not being able to exert the kind of power and influence over the agents as he did at the end of the first film being reduced to one word - and not even explained at that - came across as poor writing.

So, in summary, the visuals meet or exceed the efforts of the previous film but the story, writing, and characters do not. The Matrix Reloaded is not a bad film, but it is a disappointment in that it does not match the quality of the original.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I think my first review was a bit harsh and after seeing a second time...theres really not a single thing I would change about the film...the rave scene is still a bit long...but on second showing it didnt seem as long...the bad CGI I didnt notice has much the second time...and everything was just right...the film blew me away and I was just in awe of everything...the fights...the storyline...the twists...the characters...everything was just right and I gotta say I am now a Matrix Geek...the film wont get out of my head...I cant stop thinking about the possibilities for Revolutions and everything...ahhh...

Everything makes sense after the second viewing...I understand why the Burly Brawl exsisted...and so on...Smith's motivations...the Architect...everything...I realized all this when I suddenly thought..."This is what a sci-fi movie would look like if it were made by David Lynch." Cant wait to see it again tomorrow night...

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Goddamn was this movie stupid.

OK, I was never a huge fan of the first one, but at least I enjoyed it as a sci-fi action flick.

Some of have said that the more you like the first Matrix, the more you like the 2nd, and I believe that is accurate because this one is basically the first one- but a lot more of it. For better and [mostly] worse.

I hated this movie because of the dialogue. I actually went in expecting to ignore it because it was kind of bad in the first one as well, but there was so much of it and it was all awful. Every other sentence was a pathetic attempt to sound deep and philosophical, but it was actually empty and juvenile.

It's as if the script was written by two stoned college drop-out philosophy majors who only got through one-half of a Sartre book before being distracted by the flashing lights of their X-Boxes.

At one point, I think one of the characters actually said, "But do you have the power of 'Why'?" The power of why? The only power of Y is that it can be a vowel or a consonant.

They of course had to save the worst of it for the end.

When Neo finally encounters the Architect, you're waiting for some major plot revelations to be revealed (actually, I was waiting for the credits so I could get the hell out of there). They bury it underneath a 200 word-per-minute barrage of pretentious, pseudo-intellectual dull nonsense. I used to sound like that when I tried to impress my first employers and girlfriends until I realised how stupid I sounded and began to talk like a normal person.

The French guy couldn't even do a good French accent. I thought he was German at first. I mean, how freakin' hard is it to find an actor to do a French accent? I could do a French accent.

This is the first Keanu Reeves movie I've seen where it wouldn't be better if they had used a different actor in this film. There was no room for acting here what with all the REALLY BIG words and FX flying all over the place.

I also came to the conclusion that Laurence Fishburne isn't that good of an actor. Really, I can't remember being impressed with him, which is a shame since he has that cool look and excellent articulation.

The acting, what little there was of it, was atrocious. The general dude (Morpheus' rival over Will Smith's wife) was as convincing as a hooker telling me I'm the best she's ever had. Smith herself was not bad per say, just extraneous. But when performances are terrible throughout the whole cast, I blame the director. He had to tell them what to do and then decide to use those takes. *shudder*

And, yes, the dance scene was retarded. After Morpheus, in his worst immitation of Marc Antony asking the Romans to lend him his ears, delivers a speech about survival and the ensuing war (during which I could not resist making silly faces and gestures much to the amusement of my movie-watching partner), everybody decides to play some bad techno music and jump up and down. WTF?

OK, so what did I like about the movie?

- One big question on everyone's mind was- since the visual style of the first Matrix was so unique and trend-setting and after being endlessly spoofed and immitated, how could they come back with something equally impressive? They answered by just taking it to the next level, displaying pride at their style and giving us more of it. A lot more. End result- it looked f***ing awesome. My personal favorite is Neo's battle with the 700 Agent Smiths (a plot line that made no sense, but whatever). I got a kick at how you would sometimes see Reeves in mid-swing in slow motion, but the actual hit was very fast, and they would do a couple of those in succession. A very nice visual. And, yes, the freeway scene was sweet, however absurd.

- Monica Belluci (the Merovingian's wife). I haven't been wowed by a screen goddess' beauty like this since Catherine Zeta-Jones' breakout sex idol turn in Zorro.

- The token black guy who is usually supposed to die didn't die (the guy that operated the ship). Also, his wife/girlfriend was gorgeous.

Overall, the problem with this movie is that it doesn't know what it wants to be- a serious sci-fi epic (2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, Contact) or fun action-filled escapism (Terminators, X-Men). If the former, the dialogue was too stupid and the pretention of philosophical import too precioius. If the former, it was too long with too much dialogue. Can a film be both? I guess, and kudos to them if that's what they tried to do. But it's hard to take a movie's story seriously when grandiose exposition is cut off with a grooving hip club beat and stylized violence.

:star: :star: (one for the fighting visuals and one for Bellucci)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I saw this for the 3rd time on Saturday, and just like my second time, the film just sort of congeals better and better the more familiar you are with the structure of the film, and the setup of the sequences, and the meaning behind the scenes.

It's a treat to be able to concentrate on the smaller, finer details that are imbued within this film. There's a lot of stuff going on in this film, and more importantly it's a film filled with big ideas, and gives you plenty to chew on afterwards. It takes from its first installment, and builds on it, and it also shatters pre-conceived notions of the Matrix.

Not many "mindless" sci-fi action flicks are as satisfying viscerally and intellectually (even if some dismiss it as "psuedo pop philosophy gone amok"). The important thing culturally is that given that the high public awareness of the film/franchise, the Wachowski brothers did not just dive into the re-cycling bin and regurgitate more of the same. No, they upped the ante in terms of story, and visual/audio effects that served the story. In other words, they did not simply phone it in.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I remember leaving the theater after the first Matrix thinking that was a dam good movie. One of the best I've seen in a ling time. Excellent plot, and development, very original.

After watching Reloaded this weekend. I'm amazed at the depth and brilliance of this movie.

This first movie introduced the characters and the Universe of the Warchowski (sp?) Brothers. It gave a small amount of the actuall story. Reloadd, comes out and this is the Story. Its an excellent middle film. The story progresses and your left with several intangled ways the movie can end. The action in the second movie was right on and in pace with the rest of the show. If you think the second movie was dull at points and didn't have enough umph, than I siggest you watch the first over again. This had more action, and was better flowing than the first movie by far.

I'm completely in awe of the depths this story has taken and am eagerly looking forward to Revolutions.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

The Ducati should have outrun the Crown Vics on the highway chase scene. And the Rave scene was a little overbaord.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This bears repeating because many of you are simply posting your replies to inquiries in this thread, and this thread is not the place for it:
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Matrix Reloaded". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Finally went and checked this out.

So what do we have with The Matrix Reloaded?

Just a few quick thoughts:

Endless pseudophilosophy and technobabble interspersed with overdone CGI kung fu battles. Seemed more like a video game than a movie. Not totally without merit, but I got much more involved in X2. And what's with the friggin' sunglasses? A meaningless and silly affectation if you ask me...

:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
A Quick (or not so quick) Review of my thoughts.

The Matrix Reloaded

:star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Reference : The Matrix (:star: :star: :star: )

Leaving the theater, I felt very mixed. I thought it was a good enough movie to warrant a Friday evening, but ultimately was disappointed with the overall movie.

I felt the orginal Matrix was a solid movie, nothing epic but innovative and all-around a solid movie. If Reloaded wasn't a 2nd movie, wasn't a sequel following a pretty good movie, then maybe my judgment of Reloaded might differ.

The problem I have is the Matrix set the ground rules for this world. We went along with Neo "down the rabbit hole" and what he learned we were right there.

I felt Reloaded went away from these ground rules that were established in the first movie : The overuse of Kung-Fu fighting by Neo in Reloaded is my prime example. No explanation given in this movie. Neo can stop multiple bullets, but can't stop a hand, kick or whatever?

Another major criticism is the moments, honestly I don't think I had one in this movie. The "Cool" factor was there, but NOTHING to where I was completely involved.

Reloaded played like a Hong-Kong Martial Art film, where we have story/exposition then are taken away for an extensive fight scene then resume back to the story. Its almost like how the fights were scripted : Punch, Kick, Block repeat -Talk, Fight repeat.

Nothing IMO led up to the fighting, to where we are involved. The fights were obviously pretty good but I felt I was just a spectator with none of the teams I am watching being my own.

In the first movie, we had good strings of involvment. From Cypher being a traitor and setting up Morpheus, to where Morpheus decides to take on a Agent to save Neo - to which we know nobody has defeated an Agent.

Then the next action set-up is with Agent Smith breaking down Morpheus to which Trinity/Neo attempt to rescue him, then leading the showdown between Neo and Agent Smith.

I felt no set-up in these action scenes until the very last scene with Trinity.

There were some good qualities in the movie. The ending sequences worked very well for me (excluding the title at the end) but I felt it came to late. The majority of the movie seemed more a parody of itself rather then "raising the bar".

Raymond

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw it last night.

I was blown away.

It's just about everything you'd want in a summer flick, and more. The freeway scene, alone, was worth the price of admission.

I didn't read any reviews beforehand, but skimmed a few this morning, and I'm puzzled at the criticism levied against the movie. The action was frenetic, the story involving, the effects stunning... It has the look, feel and the dialogue of a comic book.

And, I'll take pseudo-philosophico-techobabble anyday over the cringe-inducing dialogue of LOTR or Star Wars.

Terry St

Second Unit
I felt Reloaded was a great, albeit far from perfect flick. However, one thing I find to be alarming about the opinions posted here, and I hope they aren't representative, is that a lot of people failed to grasp the relatively simple sci-fi exposition scenes in it. The architect was not spouting nonsense or gibberish. Everything was laid out in a fairly plain and simple manner, with only a few minor ambiguities left for us to chew on until Revolutions.

i.e. Is Zion in the real world, or just another level of the matrix? While it plays as mostly a real-world, but machine sanctioned revolution, is it even that much? Doubt is cast when Neo finds he can sense the sentinels in the real world. (He didn't stop them BTW. That was the EMP of the ship that rescued them, for those that missed it.) Is it a symptom of him beginning to break free of a possible "Real World" level of the Matrix, or is it a byproduct of his interaction with Agent Smith?

As an aside, I thought that the Architect's dry, Freudian delivery was probably quite deliberate, and not a result of the material at all. I'm sure Mr.Dressup (rest his soul) could have made it sound a lot friendlier, but he couldn't have said it much simpler.

Films like Tarkovsky's Solaris actually require thought to make sense of, and can be interpreted in numerous ways. Reloaded, on the other hand, explains it all quite succinctly. It doesn't ask you to think a lot, although you can if you want, but merely asks that you pay attention! They don't ask you to come up with an explanation. It is supplied. Minor ambiguities are left just to maintain an element of surprise for Revolutions. Reloaded is not an overly intellectual film by any stretch of the imagination. It just isn't totally brain-dead, like most hollywood action films are these days.

Unfortunately, the exposition isn't as seamlessly integrated as it was in the original Matrix. The sci-fi and action are a bit more separated, as if the Wachowski's didn't quite give it enough turns of the whisk before throwing it into the oven. As a result, I will agree that both action scenes and exposition scenes tend to seem a little overlong in places. But that shouldn't make them incomprehensible! Maybe admission should include a dose of ritalin...

Anyways, while I am a bit concerned at some people's opinion of this attempt to move away from completely brainless action as "pretentious" or "incomprehensible", Reloaded's box office figures speak for themselves. Finally, a non-PG-13 film that isn't totally brain-dead has raked in some serious cash. However imperfect Reloaded may be, we need more films like it to rescue us from things like the "kinder, gentler, PG-13 Conan" that was promised for the upcoming "King Conan" film. (insert involuntary shudders here.)

As for my take on the film... You should know by now (if you were paying attention ;)) that I thought the material tackled, while not exactly highly cerebral, was a cut above the usual brainless dreck hollywood has gotten so good at cranking out. The plot, however, was not as focused as the origonal Matrix. Instead of a single cohesive story line we wind up with something more like a collection of related short films. The 10 minute dance-video/soft-pr0n scene was, admittedly, out of place. Morpheus's speech as the rave er... Temple of Zion was more than a little corny too. There were loose character threads, such as the annoying kid that follows Neo around like a lost lamb, but I expect the purpose for them to come out in Revolutions.

A greatly improved budget has allowed the Wachowski's to forget the "less is more" approach to special effects, and instead just go all out. While the fights do not have the same sense of dramatic impact that those in the original matrix had, they are definitely a technical advancement and a joy to watch. The CG is damned good, but not completely indiscernible from the real thing. It was not difficult to spot the CG characters in some scenes, but in others it was much more difficult. There were probably several CG shots I completely missed. I have noticed that different people have different tolerances for CG. Some can enjoy Jet Li's "The One" while others can't even take the camera speed-ups in "Fist of Legend". Sadly, not every actor is as skilled as Bruce Lee was, so a little "film magic" is typically required! If you're one of those who could not identify the CG shots, consider yourself lucky! For you, the digital renaissance has arrived early, while the rest of us must wait a few more years for CG actors to become indistinguishable from live actors.

"The Matrix: Reloaded" is just what the title says. "The Matrix", again. While it isn't quite as fresh as the original was, it's still a very good way to waste 10 bucks and two hours of your life. I went in expecting a top notch popcorn movie, and got just that. Those of you who need a fix of CG vampires and werewolves will just have to wait for LXG, which looks like it'll be a blast. :D

:star::star::star:/:star::star::star::star:

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just back from seeing the Matrix:Reloaded. As I went into the film I went in with low expectations because I wanted to actually like the movie. And even though I had low expectations I still had problems with the film. It was a good movie but no where near great. Some of the things I did not like was the editing. The movie didn't move itself badly but there were some parts where first the cast is in the Matrix and then all of a sudden on the next shot there in the real world without really showing that they got out of the Matrix. That truly bothered me a great deal. Also the whole rave scene needed to be left on the cutting room floor. It was one of the most unbearable 4 minutes I ever sat through. The action was incredible but there was to much of it. And I love action in movies as much as the next guy but I like it when it is needed. In the movie it seemed as if Neo just got into fights for the heck of it. Another thing was the CGI. Alot of the CGI was super cool, but there were parts that simply screamed CGI or the term I like to use "Spider-Man style CGI." It is very visible in the Burly Brawl Scene. Lastly I didn't care for the Philosophy that was stuck down my throat every second of the movie. I mean, I understood it all but I felt it was just to much. Other than that I thought it was a great popcorn flick. I must say that it was not better than the first one. My favorite movie of the summer still is X2.

I give this movie :star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Or a 7 out of 10.

BTW, the new Terminator Trailer was awesome and I am very psyched to see it.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The Matrix Reloaded satiates the senses in more ways than one while expanding on the original storyline presented in 1999’s The Matrix ( ).

The first of a two-part sequel contains some of the well-choreographed action sequences in recent memory along with the introduction of some new characters that are both intriguing and memorable and sure to have bigger roles in the third installment. The musical orchestration by Don Davis is another element worth noting as it compliments the film rather well.

Andy and Larry Wachowski have created an entirely unique universe where the dividing line between plausibility and absurdity is drawn only by one’s level of acceptability. While its story may not totally gel until its third and final act, for the moment, this installment provides a good mix of highly conceptualized and stylized adventure sequences and humor along with a mystery driven plot.

The Matrix Reloaded rates (out of four).

~Edwin

BarryS

Second Unit
The Matrix Reloaded - :star: :star: :star: 1/2

I saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot. I'd say I liked it as much as the first movie. I was not disappointed at all. Really the only disappointing thing was that I did not completely grasp the story. I was a bit confused towards the end, so I definitely need to see it a second (and probably a third) time.

The Burly Brawl was easily my favorite part of the movie, by the way!

One thing that I was confused by was the part near the end where Morpheus and the gang are discussing the prophecy and what they're about to do. What happens right after Morpheus says "Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for"? They're discussing the mission, then all of a sudden in the next scene, they're inside the building. Neo and Trinity were talking. He asked her to stay behind. Then, next thing you know, they're inside the Matrix and Trinity is at the screen watching the Matrix code. It seemed like a scene was left out.

Did anyone else feel that way? For a minute, I was worried that the theater had left a scene out. But, my friend who worked at the theater told me that they always screen the films to make sure they're put together right. I was kind of bewildered during the whole ending of the film because of that.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've Fianlly Seen the Movie here's my Review.

After nearly a four year wait the Sequel to the Mega Hit "The Matrix is upon us has time been Kind?

When the Story open Neo, Trinity and Morpheous are all still Jacking around the Matrix from Inside their Vessel that moves underground between their Underground city of Zion and the computer Generated "Reality" of the Matrix code. A Tip provided shows evidence that their Machine enslavers are close to finding the City of Zion to eradicate them all.

This Neccesitates a visit to the Oracle, A Wise Computed Generated Obi Wan to Give Neo Guidence. To Destroy the Machine and the Matrix he must locate the Source. The Source gives Power to the Machine and the Matrix. In between this search Neo Must Battle Now Rogue Matrix Agent Smith, who has his own agenda and is breeding a Replicated Army of Selves. In One of the Best Fight Scenes of the Film Neo takes on Hundreds of Thousand's Smiths all by himself. Another Standout Sequence is a Car Chase/ Fight Scene that is just astounding. Also taking Up his time is his Love affair with Trinity and his forboding vision of impending doom for her.

So with all the state of the Art effects and great Set Pieces am I giving the thumbs up for "The Matrix Reloaded" well Not exactly. Since 1999 every possible film from Charlie's Angels to Kung POW has imitated what was State of the Art WireFU Fight Scenes. What was bold and inventive then comes off as Tired and imitative now. The Matrix Reloaded is full of such scenes intermittantly broken up by Long Winded Scenes of Morpheous Et all Over Philosophising and Grandstanding. The Plot of Machines enslaving Man is never advanced more than it was in the first film so it's really more of the same in an unecessary sequel.

But the Cardinal sin committed by the film is having it's leads portrayed as monotoned uninteresting cyphers. Indeed the Machines Enslaving Man, huge Metallic Squidheads Have more personality than Neo, Trinity or Morpheous Combined. When you don't care for the Characters you don't care for their Plight. Hell even the original had the interesting Joe Pantoliano from the Sopranos that played an interesting character. There's no such character in the Matrix Reloaded.

As I came out of the Theater and was greeted with Posters for Terminator 3, Dumb and Dumberer, and Jeepers Creepers 2 I new The Matrix Reloaded was more Cookie cutter movie Making from an industry that relies too heavily on the opening Weekend. They can be seen as the Machines Robbing all the Creativity out of Our Fantasy World Matrix.

** Stars

todd stone

Screenwriter
saw the film today, I thought it was good but even for a cliffhanger ending, the ending was bad.

the..fighting on the truck on the freeway had some horrible CGI

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
2.5/5

I was quite disappointed. "The Matrix" had so much more - especially originality and excitement. "Reloaded" had a lot of problems for me, including:
1.lack of exciting action - most of the action scenes were more of the same type of action, just less emotional, more routine.
2.confusing storyline - no need to say more, but the fact that the movie needs a whole list of frequently asked questions answered (in another thread) speaks volumes about much technobabble this movie really had
3.terribly wooden, bland acting - (maybe except Naobi)
4.ridiculous action scenes - especially Morpheus' fight on top of the truck, and if that weren't bad enough, we already knew how Trinity would die and then that even more ridiculous way the Neo saved her, and then she was "fine" again, I mean not even tired, drained, ill or comatose after he massaged/energized her heart to get her to come back to life!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Many members are obviously forgetting where they are when they post followups in this Reviews only thread (as many posts have been moved to the discussion thread).

Please place your comments and followups to questions raised in the reviews in the Official Discussion thread for this film.

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Matrix Reloaded". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Matrix Reloaded: The W Brothers Sell Out! Should have been the title.

The fighting wasn't even that inspired relying WAY too much on CGI manipulation, going so far as to completely replace the actor and/or stunt-man with a CGI drawing.

Was this a video game or a movie?

I cared nothing for the characters this time around because they gave you almost nothing to sink your teeth into rather than a bunch of technobabble, and a 30 minute chase with elements from T2 thrown in! Boring!

What was such a let down for me was that Morpheus looked less like a soft spoken, introspective sage (or wise man) like in the first one and more like a wild-eyed, raving sycophant in this sequel. Talk about your 180's!

Bigger does not mean better, and the original The Matrix showed they could do more with less. That's why it seemed fresher to me. Agent Smith was uber cool. It was classic Mano e Mano with one rogue agent(the bad-guy) vs. Neo (like a showdown in the Wild West). Not this mayhem they started with so much money and a bunch of bored CGI engineers at the helm.

It felt way too much like a studio picture than an Indie film trying to deal with philosophical and religious subtext like the first movie. While not a perfect sci-fi or martial arts film, at least it gave you characters to root for and a self contained storyline needing no sequels (you could figure things out on your own from there on out), other than to "cash in" on its popularity.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks