What's new

The Matrix Reloaded (2003) (1 Viewer)

Okay...well that makes sense...still doesnt make sense why he just wouldnt fly away before the fight began...I mean he could fly with all those Agents on top of him...why did he even bother to fight...
He bothered to fight and not to just fly away because it made for one hell of a fight! LOL! :)

But seriously, IMO he had to fight because he needed to see for himself what he was up against. He didnt want to turn this into something where there are fifty inspirational speeches leading up to an anticlimactic battle scene. I think that he needed to see what Smith was capable of and what has become of him. I think that he had no idea what he was getting himself into though.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Must go to bed. Now.

I'll drop the review in tomorrow, and chat everyone up :D

Seen it. No worries. Must see again.

I loved it. Conditionally. But I did love it.

My wife knew who the traitor was. She HATED it ;) But she noticed that tidbit when I didn't.

Can't wait to talk.

Much love for the film.

Take care,
Chuck

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I just got back and i loved it. Everyone who said they hated it didnt pay attention to everything because its all explained wether you understood it or not. There is a ton of story there which some didnt pay attention to.

capt

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Chuck I missed that too! Really enjoyed it. Liked it better than X2(which was a solid but not outstanding flick) - much more ambitious in terms of scope.

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
GAH! I have to watch it again!

the short:

score was BORING! didn't match up well in most parts to the action.

Agent Smith is now cliche. They could have expanded on his new 'freedom' more and provided more motive for his actions. I found him largely irrelevant. The bigger story was the sentinels closing in on Zion, and I feel the film redeemed itself when Neo stopped them by will, no EMP involved. Now I'm interested again!

WTF was up with Frenchie and his hottie wife and the kiss and the two albino tennis player dudes? I don't get it.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If you stayed after the credits there was a short Revolutions trailer. Agent Smith has a big part in it which will probably make things clearer after the third film

capt

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I've got my Superman flight fix from this film. There is probably very little reason to make a Superman film (if you want to see someone do some serious flying) in light of how Neo was zipping around in the Matrix. Man, that was just really nifty special effects (both in visuals and sound). Loved it when Neo was just about to take off, and you see the ground sort of trampoline Neo into the sky.

I think you could probably trim about 10 minutes out of the 1st act in Zion, and not lose much.

The car chase scene was just absolutely a joy to watch from beginning to end. Link's reaction at the end of it was classic. Those 14 minutes were almost worth the price of admission alone. Jackie Chan should be proud of Morpheus' moves on top of the 18-wheeler. The Bullet-time shot of the explosion from the 18-wheelers playing "Chicken" was top-notch, and a fine way to up the ante on shots like that.

The Neo-Smiths fight in the school playground was probably over the top and a little long, but it was fun.

So, how many times do you think Keanu purposefully messed up his kissing scene with Monica Belluci?

It's interesting to see that Neo now has real tangible powers outside the Matrix. Though he may have been the 6th or 7th in a line of "The One"s, Mr. Anderson is proving to be a bit more of an anomaly than the Matrix expected.

Cannot wait to hear how the DVD for this film is going to sound in the HT because there is some serious bass to be had in this film.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Based on Zion being destroyed several times, who says Neo doesn't have powers outside of the Matrix? How deep does the rabbit hole go? How many levels are there? Who says he's out ;) I can see how Scott spent 100 minutes talking about it :D

As you can see, I did not go to sleep. I'll try again soon, but the film is all over my thoughts, so I am hoping to dump some of them on you.

I felt the Burly Brawl was FAR overlong. I enjoyed it to a point, but it stopped the story for too long. I loved the other fight scenes (especially the Chateau).

But that's for the review.

Like many good films, it works once you buy into it. I've always intellectually enjoyed The Matrix, and this film just furthered that.

So, I am glad to be seeing it again, because I want to listen VERY carefully to his chat with the Architect. Lots of clues there. Perhaps not all true.

I agree with Pat re: the flying scenes. They were magical in the way only the best moments in film are. Loved them.

Can't wait to see some Mobile Suit action in Revolutions. May be just a little...but I'll take just a little.

More to come. It's still percolating.

Take care,
Chuck

It was the best it could possibly be.

Everyone to my surprise was quiet during the movie, very rare with my past 1st public screenings.

I wasn't paying 100% attention so a few things blurred by.

Waited in line much longer than the movies running time...

Mocked some guys that showed up in Agent suits.
One guy dressed was alittle on the plus side so I named him Agent Overload.

A fun nite out, now we wait again.

jr

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Cool. Better than The Matrix. Much better than X2. Visually and Aurally spectacular.

Tired now. More later.

Did I mention how cool it was?:b

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes who thinks Zion is outside of the Matrix based on what Neo did to the Sentinels?

The flying scenes did really kick ass. The only weak shot was the digital Neo above the clouds.

Agree the Burly brawl was way too long - felt like I was watching a Roadrunner cartoon after a certain point.

Trinity riding the motorcycle against traffic was awesome too!

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I can't decide if I liked the movie or not, and I don't think I will be able to until A. I see it again, and B. I see Revolutions. It was definitely an enjoyable 2 hours, but if they take what they've developed and ruin it in Revolutions I will hate this movie as well.

Okay, so I need some clarification. Were there six Neos before this one, or is this the sixth one? I think if we are going with Biblical references that the Matrix seems to like, the current iteration of Neo is the seventh, since seven is considered a perfect number in the Bible. And damn it, how many Judas' can there be? Again with the Biblical reference, that guy cut an 11 into his hand before trying to kill Neo in the real world right? Eleven is another significant number symbolizing disorder and the AntiChrist. I am sure there are many more allusions that I missed...

And what were the consequences for each of the two doors again? I thought the program was wired so Neo would fall in love and choose to save Trinity, but I also thought the Architect wanted Neo to choose the other option to reseed Zion and perpetuate the Matrix. I was confused...

Oh well, I will clear it up when I see it during lunch later today. Work, what work?

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I love the ripple effect when Neo is taking off. I think that is an homage to Akira. I will have to re-watch Akira to confirm...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Here's a nasty possible spoiler...

Check out the Hot Button.

DP thinks the Merovingian might be the first...The One.
His bit on it is VERY intriguing.

Take care,
Chuck

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I heard that this guy wrote a book about how the Matrix is nothing more than a representation of religion.

SPOILER TAGS TO CENSOR CONTENT:

Boy, that guy had to be right. For example (and I hate to bring this up bc of the strict HTF rules) Neo is like Jesus...remember how the impoverished folks of Zion were handing him things and asking to help loved ones. Then there's the real world/Zion and the Matrix...maybe heaven and hell? The architect is like God the creator. IF not, he and the Oracle are like Joseph and Mary. Isn't the name of their ship in the Bible? Agent Smith = Lucifer? I dunno, I may be rambling, but religious symbols are there. And so are about a billion cars made by GM !!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm ignoring Joshua Y as he is hell bent on forcing his opinion on everyone else.

I loved it, but definitely need to see again.

After the Architect, I loved how the key maker made sense. His only purpose is to get the One to the architect. And it makes me start to wonder, the Oracle must be either the first machine ever made, or something that I haven't thought up.

more on that later

The 100 Smiths went a little too long, but I didn't mind.

I think a lot of people will hate this film. There are quite a few people out there that couldn't care less for the first one except the fact that it's so cool. A lot were caught up in the coolness of the way they dressed, the action scenes, the kung foo. And then in reloaded, there is so much more story. I think those average fans will not enjoy the second, because yeh the second has that cool factor, but it's been-there, done-that. If that's all the average fan was after, there is nothing new there. They don't go out and over the top with the clothes and stuff to make it bigger in that aspect than the first.

Ok back to the story. I got lost a little bit. The Key maker is there to get the One to the Architect. The architect says that 99/100 people will accept the matrix. Ok, and he gives the One the choice of letting Zion be destroyed (as it has 6 times), and going through the door and picking 36 (some number) of people to start a new zion. This was where I'm starting to get overloaded, and need to know why. If that one percent will not accept the matrix, why don't the machines just kill them, why let them build another zion.

As you can see, I need to see it again. I have somewhat of a "whole" jist, but I need to see it again to capture everything. Some of the people I was with just didn't capture anything. I would talk about something and they don't even remember it happening or why.

Oh and the action was great, but that's a given. The car chase left me speechless.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS

I truly liked this movie although I have a few minor gripes.

Some action scenes were spectacular but at times I felt they would have been enhanced without so much slo-mo, i.e. when Trinity is on the motorcycle and jumps off the semi.

Also the beginning, while part of the story, was slow and I was not truly interested until the Oracle scene and then I was hooked until the end.

Also the burly brawl with all the agents, although a step in the right direction with computer graphics is still noticeably computer generated.

What was with the Zion dance party? I am sure Trinity will have a baby and it will be central to the plot.

How does Agent Smith tie in at the end, I think he may become good somehow showing they can live in harmony, who knows?

Agent Smith is human now correct? He already had independent thought and emotion admitting it in this one and now he has a body if I follow right?

how is Link involved, his name is a major clue he will be back but no idea how this will conclude.

Also if Smith is now a renegade why would the other two agents give Neo the gift in the beginning, would they not view him as a threat as well?

Doug R

Supporting Actor
This movie needs Cliff Notes.

1) So Neo stops the machines in the end "Something is different." Was something different? Were they still in the Matrix and didn't realize it? Is even the "real world" in the Matrix?

2) The two choices were save Trinity and Zion dies or let Trinity die and Zion lives.. and he saves Trinity? come on.

3) Neo tells Morpheus after his choice that everything is fake, there's no prophecy, etc. Isn't he leaving out the little tidbit that Neo could have chose correctly?

I imagine I missed something so... help a brother out. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

That 'guy' is Agent Smith. He cut his hand, drawing blood, and then shook hands with Neo, thereby infecting him with something that leads to Neo's new powers. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Just back...got some thoughts.

Great stylized action scenes. I'm still trying to digest the whole freeway thing. It was so visually amazing that it's hard to get out of my mind.

I found the philo stuff to be really interesting. Especially pitting choice vs. illusion of choice. It asks some interesting questions that no one can answer. I found Morpheous beginning to question his faith really cool.

As for Neo's powers outside of The Matrix, how deep does the rabbit whole go indeed. Does Neo have powers outside of the Matrix, or is Zion (ie, the real world) just another level of code.

I did have a few problems with the film, though. I thought it presented too many characters to deal with. I was so used to the familial atmosphere from M1, that the more epic scale was hard to deal with. It isn't as much a problem with the film as it is with my preconception on how the film should have been. I agree with some others that it doesn't stand on it's own as one film, but that point doesn't bother me one bit. I've never been one who needs a film that is part of a series to stand alone, and this is no exception. I think it opens some interesting arcs that will play out in Revolutions.

I'm definitely happy with the overall experience. I'm glad that I already have a ticket to see it again tomorrow. I can stew over some of the ideas and hopefully they will develop more tomorrow. I know Ron mentioned in his review that the ideas are so convoluted that you can't figure out what is going on, and therefore lose interest; but I couldn't disagree more. The ideas regarding philosophy, etc are so interesting that they could be thought about for days. The story is still very personal even if it seems bogged down with more characters.

More later...need food and discussion time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks