What's new

***Official THE MATRIX Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator
The Matrix, im sure all of you here have seen it, and more than once!

But did you get it?

What is the matrix? or should it be

Who was the matrix?

if he had the power to control the matrix, change it to his will, then wouldnt he be the creator? Human or AI?

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I have seen it multiple times, and in the movie Morpheus states that someone had freed him. Nowhere in the movie does Morpheus talk about Neo looking or being the previous person, so I do not think he is the originator.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Sort of off topic -I have always been curious, and maybe I am just dumb and completely missed something... But in the beginning of the film you overhear Cypher talking to Trinity and saying "We're gonna kill em'" in what seems to be a refrence to Neo.

I wonder if Trinity will turn out to be a 'judas' in the sequel(s)? Or were Trinity and Cypher even talking about Neo?

Ike

Screenwriter
Sean,

They were referring to the fact that tearing him from his known reality, putting him through training, and calling him the leader would get him killed. Her reply, if I remember, is something along the lines of, "But Morpheus believes he is the one."

Whatever, I got it. It's an action film. What's not to get?

Brian_J

Second Unit
A damn fine film it is and I for one cannot wait for the sequels. At the same time I also fear the sequels...because after all...they are sequels.

Brian

Shawn C

Screenwriter
What I didn't understand in the Matrix was as soon as Neo gets 'awoken', what is that robot that comes down and grabs him by the neck to check him out, and then goes away? What the heck was that thing?

Was it from the rebel ship, was it from the Matrix? What was the deal?

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
The robot that removed Neo/Anderson from the connections was one of the AI units. It basically detected a fault and disconnected the "erroneous unit". Neo surely would have died after being flushed out of the system had the Neba...Nebu... (darn spelling!) the rebel ship not been awaiting. It looks like a common procedure that the resistance exploits to extract people out of the Matrix.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
What I didn't understand in the Matrix was as soon as Neo gets 'awoken', what is that robot that comes down and grabs him by the neck to check him out, and then goes away? What the heck was that thing?
The Matrix is an artificial world created purely in a computer. People are 'inserted' into the matrix by way of plugging their brains into the 'Matrix' network. When they 'awaken' Neo, they are merely pulling the plug on the connection between his brain and the Matrix network. Until that time, he has only 'known' the Matrix and has not really experienced/felt/touched anything because he had been in the pod his entire life. The robot you see coming to check him out is part of the 'real world', Earth, which has been decimated by the war between man and the machines. Neo is taken from his original pod to the Nebekenezer(sp?) which is the ship that Morpheus commands (also part of the 'real world').
More details if you need them, but it does help to watch the movie a couple of times (and smoke something with it every now and again :))

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I am hoping that Morpheus turns out to be a bit of an unreliable historian. Some of the back story is awfully contrived IMHO. I'd rather they not change it than tell or show us things that are inconsistent with the first movie, but I would love for something more plausible than "humans = batteries" to be developed as an explanation for why the AIs breed humans.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
If I programmed the machines I'd have the robot that unplugged Neo shock him to stop his heart. The body would still end up in the same place and decompose to recycled goop.
btw, The ship is Nebuchadnezzar which is the same name as a Legendary wizard in magic. (fantasy CG)
What I don't understand is how a human could be considered a battery. We are consumers, not producers and if the machines have technology of fusion then why not use it to turn a cup of water into all the energy they need.
It would save the electricity necessary to manage a super computer program as complicated as the matrix. The necessary computer power to run the matrix is mind blowing. Every human being has an infinite number of possibilities during their finite life time.
One other thing, AI itself seems far fetched. Computers operate by following a sequence of operations. How is a written order of operations supposed to spawn into an individual consiouseness?
Last, I enjoyed the dvd and own one :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Actually the totally implausible nature of the batteries thing is one of the reason I liked The Matrix. It wasn't like a small plot hole where it nags at you and just drags the movie down. It's such a monsterly ridiculous idea that you just have to ignore and get down to enjoying the movie.;)

KlausWinkler

Agent
What is the Matrix?

It's a cheap excuse to put a lot of unrealistic stunts in the movie...

And the ship's name is in the Bible...

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Christ Tsutsui wrote:

One other thing, AI itself seems far fetched. Computers operate by following a sequence of operations. How is a written order of operations supposed to spawn into an individual consiouseness?
The whole thing revolves around Moore's law. Moore's law dictates that computing power doubles every two - five years. In the Matrix, the computer technology in that film has reached the subatomic levels, leaving the possibility for machines to become intelligent and self-aware. If you think about it, our brain is nothing more than a written order of operations to power our body (from our heart to other organs). Essentially, our minds/brains are no different than a computer's CPU.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
Essentially, our minds/brains are no different than a computer's CPU.
this argument is a favorite of AI people, but it isn't true. a computer CPU and the human brain are very different. we are just scratching the surface of how the brain actually works, and it isn't like a CPU architecture at all. Another in the myriad of reasons why AI is so far off at the current pace...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks