What's new

*** Official THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

My impressions: it starts a little shakily, but steadily gets better and better. The last hour or so is as good as any film I've ever seen. In fact, this is one of the greatest movies ever made. The effects and action scenes are nearly perfect, but at the heart of the film are the characterizations, particularly Sean Astin as Sam, who deserves an Oscar.
Definitely the best film of '03, and perhaps of the last 10 years. Kudos to Peter Jackson and all of the talented artists who created this amazing trilogy, and this extraordinary film.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
:star: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Not having read the books,I can't comment on the flaws of the story,only on the some things that really stood out,like Miranda Otto's comment on the battlefield.It was truely pathetic.I also had problems with the "multiple endings, and the never ending sappy conversation between the Hobbits[my least favorite characters].The worst SFX sequence to me was the Hobbits standing next to the humans and Elves[the bowing scene at the end],they looked so out of place there,same goes for the "bedroom scene" when Frodo wakes up.
Other then that I really liked this movie.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
Miranda Otto's line is from the book. Just goes to show you can't sometimes peg PC-stuff on PJ (and Tolkien certainly would've cared less about PC-ness).

My initial reaction is that this is the best film I've seen since SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION in '94, at least in terms of emotional involvement and intensity. When you consider the whole work as a giant 10+ hour film, it becomes all the more powerful.

Highest rating.

Daniel DeLawter

Stunt Coordinator

I saw the first show this morning. I took the day off work and took my mother, as we have done each of the past two years. She introduced me to the books at a young age and for that, this ritual is the least I could do. I am sad this was the last time.

First of all, I'd like to say that although I had some very small issues with a few things, (absence of Saruman, no confrontation between the witch king and Gandalf at the breaking of the gate - especially with Mr. Jackson's fondness of the grandiose)
if this isn't the best movie I've ever seen, it sure was the greatest movie-going experience of my life. After the first few minutes settling back into the story - I was taken back to Middle-Earth one last time, to see how this great adventure finally ends. I actually remember saying to myself at one point, "If only our world was as wondrous, as beautifully haunting and as soul-stirring as Peter Jackson's vision."

Actually this movie is more like a gift than a vision. If Peter Jackson had personally delivered the prints to my door it would not have been a more intimate transaction. I laughed, I winced, I cried, my jaw dropped in absolute shock and wonder. I felt my body go lifeless at times and my muscles clench as if I was in battle. I lived this movie, more than I watched it.

I am very familiar with the subject matter as written, and this movie is probably as true to this standard as humanly possible - My God, do you remember the doubt we all had just over two years ago? For those who question the prolonged ending(s), I see your point, I really do, but now after seeing it once - how could I, who cherishes the end of the book as much as I do, ever ask for the last scenes to be edited out?

I see from other reviewers that although universally regarded as a good film, (at least) it did not illicit as viceral a reaction from some as in my experience. A shame, and I feel only empathy.

I would love to go through more specifics, perhaps I'll edit when I watch it again in a day or two, but for now I feel exhausted and emotionally drained. I'd say I'm in need of some sleep, but friends, I'm afraid no dream tonight can compare to the one I saw today.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I had planned to catch this tomorrow but just couldn't wait.

I think Ron stated some of my feelings. We have been on this great journey and now here's the end...and I left the theater a little bit uncertain of how I feel about ROTK.

For those who said the first 1-1.5 hours is a bit choppy; I agree. Editing in this trilogy had been one of the best around but initially in this movie, it was choppy and awkward at times.

For those that know my movie style and remembered my views from other movies know I am a hard-ass on first viewing. :b

First viewing for me gets the very critical, intensive look at the film. I know when I see this again, my feelings will change to a degree.

The spectacle of the film really works. The battle sequences are terrific. I am probably alone here in thinking that I wish PJ had toned down the battle a little at Helms Deep in TTT. For me, on this first viewing, Helms Deep took a little out of the sails when watching some of the sequences. I think it would have been a little more fresh for me. Does this make sense to anyone?

Another thing that I found myself doing today, that I haven't done so far in watching the first 2 installments...is to wait for something to happen. I'm referring to the book. Part of the pacing/editing etc...made me restless at times because I kept waiting for what I read in the book to happen. It's been a long day and I know I'm not making sense. I'm trying to say that having read the book may have hurt my reaction to the film. Waiting for this person and that event(s) to take place slowed the film down for me.

But in spite of the above issues...maybe around the 2 hour mark, I really started enjoying the film more.

It was touching seeing these characters who have become real to me come to the end.

I would have ended it one sequence before the actual ending...but that's just me.

Right now, I give the film...

ROTK :star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

FOTR 4/5
FOTR:EE 5/5 (in my top 4 of all time)
TTT 3/5
TTT 3/5

Blu

Screenwriter
Best movie I've seen this year!
If this doesn't get PJ, cast and crew a hand full of oscars and pull a sweep of most of the oscars I'd say the voting was rigged.

Probably the best 10 hour epic ever if not one of the best movies of all time. I believe it deserves a place along side Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, and Citizen Kane.

I can hardly wait for the EE so the whole movie can be seen at one time!

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
There have been many great words written about how great this film was.
This isn't one of those reviews.

I'm still trying to digest what I saw, and what it means to me.

Right now, all I can say is "WOW"

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, what can I say? It was a great ending to an excellent series of films based on my favorite book.

The only negatives:

1)some of the special effects didn't seem quite finished
2)I was longing for some of the cut scenes. Those missing parts might not have been obvious to a book reader, but to someone who has read the book multiple times, they are missed.

Even though there were a few changes from the narrative, I felt they were justified and worked well onscreen. And the editing of the first hour or so didn't really bother me.

For a 3 hour 20 minute film, it was jam packed and overwhelming. I would suggest that everyone needs to see it at least two times to get a full appreciation for the story being told. I have read comments about people not understanding the motivations behind some of the characters' actions, but I would just have to say that the hints are there. One just has to look for them.

The film was action-oriented as well as emotional. I found myself tearing up at numerous points throughout the movie because over the course of the three films I had become attached to the characters. They meant something to me. At the same time, the action sequences were first-rate.

And the ending. What can I say about the ending? Near perfection. It had me in tears, just as the book does. My only gripe is that the fades to black between sequences maybe could have been a little bit shorter. Rather than designate the passage of time, they did have a psychological feel of an end of movie fade-to-black.

Overall though, a great experience and I would recommend Return of the King, along with the other two parts of the Lord of the Rings, to anyone.

I expect I will see this film at least two more times in the theater (really 3-4 more times).

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
The Return Of The King brings The Lord Of The Rings trilogy into full circle. This epic fantasy is a labor of love for Peter Jackson as shown by the film’s vivid cinematic elements including, but are not limited to, camera movements, framing, composition, musical orchestration and spectacular visual effects. Without a doubt, it is a monumental achievement for Jackson translating JRR Tolkien’s literary work onto film, while adding his own vision at the same time.

Its story about good vs. evil, friendship, love, duty and honor is fully realized with an ensemble cast whose work never wanes but only got better along with its narrative. Its characters are genuine in their emotions as they are true to their purpose and mission. In its finality, we come to love these characters and commit them to memory for years to come.

The trilogy is best seen as one entire film preferably with the extended editions of the first two along with the inevitable extended edition (EE) of the final installment.

Having recently seen the EEs of Fellowship Of The Ring and The Two Towers, my initial ratings of these two as stand alone films mirror their theatrical counterparts, realizing that the EEs gave more depth to some character arcs. But now that we have the complete work, The Return Of The King and, for that matter, the entire trilogy, earns the highest rating I can ever bestow upon a film.

Peter Jackson and company has reaffirmed the true meaning of cinematic wonder.

~Edwin

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Fantastic movie. I didn't expect the end of this trilogy to be this good. It had some parts where I'd like some more explanation like:

Aragorn defeating the people on the boats and taking over. Also, why doesn't Aragorn at least talk to Eowyn after the big battle scene.

Overall, I'm very impressed. I have to go buy the books now and see what I missed. Oh, I'd rank it 4.5 stars out of 5. I liked FOTR just a bit more followed by ROTK.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
This is my first shot at an actual review, and not just discussion, so bear with me here.

Anyway I have just gotten back from what must be one of, if not the, best movies I have ever seen. At three hours and twenty minutes it's the shortest of the trilogy, never once did I look at my watch or wish I was spending more time with a different story line (something that did happen with Two Towers), from the opening I was absolutely riveted to my chair and never looked back, just waiting to see what would happen next.

This is a director that is reminiscent of a young George Lucas in that he's too idealistic to listen when people tell him something can't be done (not a bash against Lucas mind you at all, just that in 1977 when people told him Star Wars couldn't be done, he ignored them, now people don't even bother to tell him it's not feasible). Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings is something that could only be accomplished by a director young enough not to realize that what he is doing is impossible. However, somebody forgot to tell PJ this, so he went ahead and did it anyway, and turned one of fiction's most beloved novels into a movie trilogy that, while not supplanting the books, is certainly it's equal on its own medium.

This was by far the most faithful of the three to the books. Sure there was a lot hacked out, but only Gollum splitting Frodo and Sam really jumped out to me as an addition. Many times I felt myself saying "this is like the book just came to life," there were so many things that just came straight out of the book with only minimal editing by PJ (like geographic condensation by putting certain armies at a battle they didn't appear at in the book). Sure there were things I missed, but most of them will be in the EE, and I can see where it would have definitely bogged the movie down.

Speaking of which, any more it's difficult to argue with PJ's decision to cut the Scouring, while a wonderful sequence there's no way it wouldn't have brought the movie to an absolute standstill.

The highpoints are too many to list, but a few jump to mind. Grond, the beacons of both Gondor and Minas Morgul, the Paths of the Dead, the fall (those of you who've seen it no what I'm talking about), and the Gray Havens.

Are there flaws? Sure. The ending, while necessary and I wouldn't want one second of it cut, does drag. The movie is ever so slightly shaky in the first hour or so pacing wise. There's a few lines of dialogue I would have liked, especially some credit form Frodo in reference to Gollum's deed. You might have been able to take some of the battle scenes or beacons or similar and add in some stuff that you know will be in the EE. But these are nits of the smallest order, and in no way detract from the least from the total experience. Perfection is an ideal that is never accomplished, but it's the rare movie indeed that gets anywhere nearly as close as PJ has done here.

The emotional impact, the feeling of being caught up and swept away by the movie, the spectacle of the thing, it was an experience that just blew me away. Peter Jackson paid his dues to get the response he did from me, with a trilogy that at this point totals nearly eleven hours, but he earned every bit of the glowing reviews that are being sent his way. What he accomplished is something that has never been done on this level in cinematic history, and may well never again be repeated.

I'll say it again, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is arguably the best movie I've ever seen in my life. I've been lucky indeed to be here when this trilogy was being released (having grown up with Star Wars as strictly a VHS movie, with the exception of the 1997 SEs), and it's something I'll never forget being here for. My highest recommendation isn't strong enough.

:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
:star: :star: :star: :star: out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

You know, it really hasn't hit me how amazing and awesome and grand this movie truly is yet. I need to see Return of the King so many more times.

I saw it at a good ol' 12:01 showing on an IMAX screen at the Edwards Marqe with 3 of my closest friends and some 15 others. Seriously, we bought about 20 tickets in advance. So we got there at 6:00 and needless to say we were the first in line. So here I am going into a theater in a group with about 10 people I don't know. This leads us to the first problem with this film:

THIS WAS NOT A PERFECT THEATER EXPERIENCE

You would think so but no. All the variables were in place. A huge screen, amazing speakers, fun audience. It was all there. But some things absolutely destroyed my experience. Read about them here .

All and all, I simply cannot write an objective review until I see this with another group that has more respect than this. It was an amazing movie, it just hasn't clicked with me yet. It will though. It will. I need another viewing.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This was an amazing movie. Absolutely 4/4 stars for sure. it took the story to a whole new level.

THIS WAS NOT A PERFECT THEATER EXPERIENCE
Anyone who lives in the Detroit, MI area I strongly suggest avoiding Star Theater in Southfield, MI. The crowd was very obnoxious (not the first time) and laughing at inappropriate parts, cells phones going off repeatedly, and very uncomfortable seating with the seats in front of you hitting your knees the entire time. I should have learned from past experience there, but I will never go there again.

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
This was one of the best movie watching experiences for me ever. Only a few times did I feel like this before. Namely with Rear Window, The Birds, The Godfather, Star Wars (ANH), The Shawshank Redemption and FOTR.
As most anyone I really missed a few scenes. I'm sure that I will love the EE quite a bit more because of that (like FOTR).
I did not like the Gollum in the Lava
bit. Actually I didn't like the lava effect itself at all and I disliked the Gollum sinking into it
even more.
I did not like how Miranda Otto's one liner played. Did not fit in this movie imo.
I did not like the Legolas and the Mumakil
stuff. Looked just fake. For the record I also didn't like Legolas mounting the horse or surfing down the stairs as well. So I guess I just personally feel that these scenes are out of place in the LOTR movies.
I was surprised that I didn't mind Gimli just being comic relief this time round. Maybe I just got used to it but it didn't take me out of the movie as much as in TTT.
I enjoyed myself the whole time. And that's saying a lot. I loved almost every second of this film.
Although I did miss some scenes I never wished I would be watching other characters during certain scenes. This happened to me with TTT because I really dislike almost every single scene when the Ents/Treebeard are talking and I always wished I would be back with the other characters.
Also I liked the ending ok. But I really could have done without the fade outs. But I did not wish that a single second would be cut.
I will have to see this a few more times over the course of the next week but I'm sure this is my favorite installment in the series making this one of my favorite movies ever.
I'll watch this a few more times and then the waiting for the EE will begin. Same as every year ;) Unfortunately for the last time, though.

Although I know that I will love the EE quite a bit more and there will be no room on the rating scale I can't give this anything less than
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
One of the best times I ever had watching a movie.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Speechless...

I saw it last night at 11:15 after taking the day off to watch the EE's at my house.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is going to see it at 3:30 this afternoon, and will be going to see it with him.

I don't see how this isn't going to be the greatest movie series of all time. It's an epic with 2 different epics in it!

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Well i have a new all time favorite film. Just spectacular.

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Absolutely AWESOME. Perfect. I had no notion of time passing during the movie whatsoever. Luckily, nor did my bladder :)

This is my favourite of the books, and my now my favourite of the films. I went in with the expectation that this would be just like watching FOTR or TTT again, only different scenes and a different part of the story. Well ROTK just blew away those expectations!

At some point early on I remembered thinking, wow some people thought this was slow - So far this is the most perfect movie I've ever seen! They can't keep this pace up, surely? But they did. Relentless build up to the battle. And what a battle! Too much went on to mention. Grond is fantastic. The Nazgul are finally scary and powerful. I know I would *not* have liked to have been a Gondorian defending the gate.

The long shot of the Rohirrim ploughing into the flank of Sauron's army was glorious. A flat field full of infantry - just made for cavalry!

The spider moved so well it's hard to believe she was CG.

Eowyn's piece played fantastically - I'd return to see just that sequence again.

The tears started once Frodo & Sam were talking out on a warm rocky outcrop.

Minas Tirith, how gorgeous a city is that? The jutting cliff was amazing, but once the camera panned and you could see what was atop... wow!!

Color-casting just right, like Fellowship. Lots of colour in ROTK and it made for some gorgeous imagery. For example... the glow of Sauron's eye powering his army at the Black Gate... what a stunning climax!

Of course I could point out nits, which I probably won't even notice during the second viewing, and now I can think of scenes that will probably be in the EE... but I am wondering if this is the film I will prefer the theatrical cut of.

Just totally amazing. I can't wait to see it again.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
While we can all nit pick about different things in the movie the overwhelming experience is you have been magically transported to Middle Earth. You are in another world with other cultures, creatures, people, and languages. Fiction blended with reality.

Complaints:

1. Editing. You can tell stuff was cut. However, this is balanced by us knowing the cut scenes should be in ROTK: EE. I will not fault the studio no Peter Jackson for this.

2. Assuming you have seen the movie or have at least some knowledge of the movies meaning or have seen the previous two movies (if not, I will try to be courteous here with a spoiler bar): Aragon after he gets the crown looks out of place. Rather than being comfortable with it he looks like he doesn't know what to do now. Now, this could easily be due to Aragon never wanting the role of king or uncomfortable with an offical crown. Still, the "You do not bow" line was a scene stealer and brought out the tears of joy. :)

3. People who complain about the movie ending without having read the book. To me there was no other way Peter Jackson could have ended it without being true to the fans of the book. However, I will agree the fade to black was a couple seconds too long. Audiences are used to it ending a movie.

4. Didn't particularly care for the opening scene either but I can understand why he did it. He explains the "murderer" comment by Gollum that was mentioned in TTT.

5. Spoiler here too but one that has been mentioned before though you didn't hear it from me: Gullom's looking as if he were drowning in water rather than being burned alive in extremely hot lava was cheesy as was the ring not beginning to melt right away.

What was done right in the film? To be honest, almost everything except that mentioned above. It was the fastest 3 1/2 hours I have ever spent in a movie theater. I simply loved the songs. They were beautiful! I enjoyed the characters, though the orc leader left something to be desired (if he truly was the leader - I have my doubts).

Peter Jackson brought Middle Earth to life and made us believe we were there. He did what no other director could do. The actors made us believe they were the characters rather than Orlando Bloom as Legolas. Orlando Bloom was Legolas. Elijah Wood was Frodo. Sean Astin was Samwise Gamgee. WETA did a marvelous job with the effects and made sure they seemed real and believable. Costume designers, minitures and bigatures, armoury, and other craftsman brought the feel of Middle Earth to us. This is what they looked like and this is what they wore. Howard Shore was amazing with the score. We do not think of these things because we are there.

My hats off and I am giving those people a standing ovation for what they have accomplished!

As a movie I'd give ROTK 4.5 out of 5. As a whole, I'd give LOTR :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: .

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to wait till I see this again. It's a little much to take in one gulp and I feel like I didn't appreciate it as much when I'm just trying to observe everything.

My list goes:

FOTR
ROTK
TTT

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
All I have to say is..."Wow"... it was pretty durn groovy, and it really hasn't sunk in yet. I went with some friends, and unfortunatly, we both were coming up with MST3K one-liners at times... so I have to admit that I was a bit distracted, but all in all... "Wow".

Truely an epic movie experience. I really wanna see PJ do the hobbit now... at least with McKellen, Bloom, Tyler, and Weaving. Those would be the only characters that would be old enough... but .. WOW!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks