What's new

***Official THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

MatS

Screenwriter
I also got a chance to catch this
of course expectations were set low going in

must say I was plesently suprised
I have grown to like TRT in time (didn't hit me right the first time) but this movie left me more satisfied on first viewing.

my fave WA in order
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
and TLAWSZ and TRT bringing up the rear which is still not a bad place to be considering

and no sadly no Kumar.... I think he was at White Castle
;)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
As someone who hated Rushmore and THe Royal Tenenbaums, I must say that I absolutely loved Life Aquatic. I thought it was a great film. I loved everything about it.

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
I dont give a damn what those fatheads ebert and roeper think .I thought LIFE AQUATIC was the lightest of wes andersons films but I found it immensly funny, and I could watch the great Bill Murray in his continued renaissance of great films like ED WOOD LOST IN TRANSLATION and RUSHMORE. bless wes anderson for making something that HAL ASHBY WOULD BE PROUD OF.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i've watched Life Aquatic a second time and i must say i enjoyed it more. definitely something that will grow on me with each viewing.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
something weird - i've lately been getting into classical music, and the beginning to "loquasto int'l film festival" from the "Life Aquatic" OST is lifted straight from Bach's Cantata BWV 140 :) since i'm not familiar to classical stuff, i was just wondering if this was a commonly used "riff" or is it special to BWV 140?

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I just saw this movie for the first time by renting it on DVD this past weekend. I have never regretted not seeing a movie because of what critics said as much as I do with this movie. I was excited about it when it came out, and then disappointed a friend who had been anxious to see it with me for awhile by choosing not to see it after Ebert and Roeper and Rotten Tomatoes ripped it. Now I just can't understand why this movie got such a cold reception from critics compared to Wes Anderson's other movies. I loved it, and thought it was just as good as any of the others.

I can understand people having trouble liking it as much as they love Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, and The Royal Tenenbaums because those movies are so memorable and original and fun that it would be hard for anyone (including Wes Anderson) to create characters and scenes as amazing as some of the ones in them, but without comparing, I think The Life Aquatic is a great movie in its own right. When this movie was over, I kept thinking "underrated" and "hidden gem", and I hope that over time it will find an audience and the appreciation that it deserves.

The characters were very endearing and I had a smile on my face almost the whole time. I even laughed out loud a few times (one of them being when Dafoe says "Who the shit is Kingsley Zissou?"). There were only a few things that I didn't like. One was the design of the shark at the end. It looked too cheesy and fake to me. I also thought the first scene with the pirates was too proposterous, but after that scene, the movie really picked up and was excellent until the end. Also, Wes Anderson once again showed some great taste in music in this movie. I really liked the song played during Ned/Kingsley's funeral, which I had never heard before.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Also, Wes Anderson once again showed some great taste in music in this movie. I really liked the song played during Ned/Kingsley's funeral, which I had never heard before.
The song you're speaking of is called "The Way I Feel Inside" by The Zombies, and it was the perfect choice for that sequence. Only Wes Anderson could choose obscure songs from a music group that nearly everyone has heard of.

I too am a big fan of this movie, but it took a couple of viewings to really make me appreciate it. After my second movie, it ended up on my Top 10 at #7. It is not his best movie, but it is not his worst either (For me, "Bottle Rocket" has that distinction), but it is a movie that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time, especially with its visual effects, which were better than anything I saw in "The Aviator" hands down.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I also agree about it taking multiple viewings. I saw it in theaters on Christmas Day and was a little iffy on it. I love Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. After three more viewings, I've grown quite fond of The Life Aquatic.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
i saw this once awhile back on DVD...

the thing that stuck with me most was the beautiful use of the song by Sigur Ros at the end when they finally see the jaguar shark... it has become my favourite Sigur Ros song because of how well it was used.

i really should see it again. i havent seen ANY other Wes Anderson's flicks, but the first time i watched it liked it, s solid 8 i'd say

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I have a more favorite memory of going to the movies than when I went to see this with some friends of mine. I think we were the only ones laughing in the entire theater. We all think it's one of the best movies we've ever seen, definitely Anderson's best (at least that's what I think about Anderson's movies, don't know about them).

"Is this my capuccino machine? Where'd you get it?"
"well... we fuckin' stole it, man."

Pretty much every single scene with Jeff Goldblum was hilarious. "Be still, Cody!"

There were also a lot of incredibly beautiful moments, partly due to the gorgeous cinematography and also due to the PERFECT soundtrack. Sigur Ros at the end ("I wonder if he remembers me."), whatever that song was that played during the scene just after Steve met his son, as he is on his way down to the front of his boat to light up a J. "I'll be right back." Steve Zissou is certainly one of my favorite screen characters of all time.

I could go on and on about this movie, it's a real shame that a lot of people were put off by it. I think Ebert's review is very good, and really explains it well, despite the mediocre rating (**1/2).

"My rational mind informs me that this movie doesn't work. Yet I hear a subversive whisper: Since it does so many other things, does it have to work, too? Can't it just exist? "Terminal whimsy," I called it on the TV show. Yes, but isn't that better than half-hearted whimsy, or no whimsy at all? Wes Anderson's "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" is the damnedest film. I can't recommend it, but I would not for one second discourage you from seeing it."

I pretty much agree, I just happen to think that it is also completely brilliant.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I can't decide whether to put it ahead of Rushmore, but otherwise I agree, Alex.

It has taken me a while to come around, but now, after a few viewings, I consider TLA to be Anderson's most nuanced and honest work. With the exception of a few setpieces and cutaways (such as the boat tour), his indulgence is under control; it's contained, unlike in TRT where his cutely composed frames become a weight on everything.

The scene when they finally, collectively see the Jaguar Shark takes my breath away, and that had to be earned.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Due to double posting I'll add:

The slow motion closing shots are getting progressively more annoying, though.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
whatever that song was that played during the scene just after Steve met his son, as he is on his way down to the front of his boat to light up a J. "I'll be right back."
Based on your description, I believe the song you're referring to is "Life on Mars" by David Bowie (whose other work is prominently featured in the film, in both English and Portugese). :)

John-Paul

Grip
I didn't realize I already replied to this thread. Sorry.

"Bottle Rocket" :star: :star: 1/2
"Rushmore" :star: :star: :star:
"The Royal Tenenbaums" :star: :star: :star: :star:
"The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" :star: :star: 1/2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks