What's new

***Official THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Hahaha...

I will say one thing about Dafoe though, he has a twisted side to him... like in Boondock Saints, so it will be interesting to see the comedic side... So far, from the trailers, it looks like he will be good...

"Thanks a lot... Thanks a lot for not picking me!!" I am looking forward to this one...

Yousaf

Second Unit
maybe it'll be something like the end of A Life Less Ordinary?
You know, that reminded me...for the longest time (well, until I had seen it on paper) I always thought that the name of the movie was "A Lifeless Ordinary". I'm not sure whether that makes the title more or less interesting. :D

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
My suscription to Premeire Magazine came in handy when I opened up my new issue at the end of last week. They have already seen it and gave it four stars--their highest rating.

To read the review, find the December/January issue in stores now.

Thanks to their review, I now feel like I need to see this movie even more than I did before.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Good news about Premiere. I hadn't heard, so I might consider picking this one up. Thanks for the heads up.

I read a reveiw on JoBlo this morning that also gave the Life Aquatic a glowing reveiw.

This is the last movie left of the year that i'm absolutely dieing to see!!

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Nothing like a Wes film to finish off the year, I remember eagerly awaiting Rushmore and then Royal's releases and being blown away even more than expected, I think he just has a great style in framing and shooting as mentioned, and his taste in soundtracks is impeccable.

CalebC

Grip
Im so excited for this movie! Rushmore is my all-time favorite movie and Royal Tenenbaums and Bottle Rocket aren't too far behind. I already went out and bought the one sheet poster of this. I love the new trailers up.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
There's definately something to be said about the soundtracks to Anderson's movies. They just seem to really pull everythign together and frame the movie up well.

The new trailers are indeed great.

I have to find out where I can get one of those Team Zissou hats...

SarahG

Second Unit
Thought it was time that Life Aquatic had a thread of its own -- I didn't see one so hopefully this isn't redundant. I'm getting serious about this one now...is being released in NYC and LA tomorrow! And then Christmas Day for the rest of us :)

To get everyone excited I found this fun stuff on JoBlo...

Anyone in NYC or LA that's going to see it this weekend?

SarahG

Second Unit
Woops, sorry y'all. Not sure how I missed that, considering I"d found it before. Must be getting blonder.

You lucky dawg! You're getting to see it? Will you post back after you see it?

Anyone know how to merge these two threads?

MatS

Screenwriter
in viewing the blurbs (not the full reviews) over at rottentomatoes, it looks like this is getting very mixed reviews early on

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I saw a screening of this film a few weeks ago and I would have to say that I hated it. Now...I am not a huge Wes Anderson fan. I liked Rushmore the most. Royal T did nothing for me. And this film...well...I left the theatre with re-enforcement of the belief that a talented star studded cast can not save a boring...drawn out script. There are some funny lines and if it were not for Bill Murray and his brief moments of genious...this film in my opinion would be unwatchable.

MatS

Screenwriter
this is pretty much the only movie I have been looking forward to for the better second half of this year

it would also be the first WA movie I have seen in the theater and not first on dvd which could be somewhat risky since I think his work can have more impact on second viewings

I rank his work (which I own all of) as follows
1) Bottle Rocket
2) Rushmore (just slightly behind)
3) The Royal Tenenbaums

I did feel TRT was somewhat of a dropoff in quality and did seem at times like more style over substance and more of the same ole

I'm hopeing for the best for The Life Aquatic but at the same time am trying not to set expectations too high

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm seeing it today. It's only playing on one screen in NYC (and, I believe, just one in L.A.). By early yesterday afternoon, all shows for the rest of the day were sold out.

EDIT: By 10:45am on Saturday, all of the morning and afternoon shows were sold out. By 2pm, everything was sold out except the midnight show, which has since sold out. I don't know why the Loews Lincoln Square didn't put it in one of their larger theaters, because they clearly could have sold more tickets.

Anyway, I did manage to see it. I had a good time, but it's definitely not mainstream fare, and people who are led to believe by the trailer that they're getting a whacky Bill Murray comedy are going to be disappointed. The film is even more of an exercise in style than The Royal Tenenbaums, and it's gorgeous to behold. But anyone who didn't like TRT (or felt it was a step in the wrong direction) should keep their expectations low.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks