*** Official "THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Paul Case, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Paul Case

Paul Case Supporting Actor

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I never go with only one review, but I do wonder what the point is of this quote...

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Well, I do trust the Dugger's opinion - but I also know Walter Chaw and his work. I honestly think he's one of the best critics out there.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Okay, well I will consider that one thing as a minor quibble, and acknowledged that in general he seems to align with my opinion on the films we have in common.

My guess would be that one of two things are true. Either he is dead on (from my viewpoint) or he just came into the film having a problem with it (which can happen).

And as I reread my post and his review, I think I also brought a bad attitude in reading his review. My post looks more like grumpy complaining nitpicker, but for integrity's sake, I'll leave it up.

5. Dan Shogren

Dan Shogren Stunt Coordinator

I can only hope that it's slightly better than the avengers. Im still going to see it, but im expecting to be let down.

6. Eric Franklin

Eric Franklin Stunt Coordinator

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Is it just me, or does anyone else think an opportunity was missed by not getting Winona Ryder to reprise the role of Mina Harker? I think that could have been a scream. :b

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Oh lord.

Guys, expect a lot of references to Rollerball and Wild Wild West and perhaps even Battlefield Earth.

It's bad. In a big way.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Damn, who am I going to believe, my man Dugger or Scott????????? Decisions, decisions, time to flip a coin if it's heads I go see the film and tales, I don't.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

11. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Man, and the recent trailers and buzz reviews (you know, from the sneaks that show up at AICN, etc...probably plants) had me hopeful.

Now its back to seeing it as turd city. Going up against Pirates which is going to roll along, this film is f***ed in a big way.

One reason I know it must be bad is that the worst internet critic around just gave it a thumbs up listed at Rotten Tomatoes. I consider that an even worse sign than people I trust saying its bad.

PS - I went through and read more of Walter Chaw's stuff and would have to agree with Scott that he actually seems to be one of the better writers out there. I'm even more ashamed of my earlier post bashing him (well, bash might be a bit strong, but I wasn't positive). :b

Sorry Walter, wherever you are. It looks like you nailed it on this one. I might still like it, but I won't have a lot of competition for the DVD purchase if I do. [​IMG]

12. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Man, Ebert just gave it one [​IMG]!

I was really hoping that this film would have turned out to be good, and it may very well be, but the reviews so far have been brutal.

My friend who worked on the film said sadly to my brother yesterday once the reviews started filtering in "We're getting killed".

Too bad.[​IMG]

I'll see it this weekend. Hopefully it isn't as bad as I am hearing.

13. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Here's another not-so-flattering review from The Charlotte Observer. I must admit the idea sounded intriguing at first, but the trailer just had "mess" written all over it. Sad because there are some talented people involved. The box-office is not going to be pretty.

14. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

i just read a few more of walter chaw's (the reviewer from the first post of his thread) pieces, two of them for movies i loved.

i can say that he is just like almost every other movie-critic i have ever had the misfortune of reading.

i wouldn't be surprised if LXG is just fine.

you know, i wonder what these critics are like as people - i wonder what it would be like to engage them in a regular conversation. i almost shiver to think.

- jd

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, the only critic I ever engaged in actual conversation with is Scott, and he was just a fun, foul mouthed, beer drinking, loud burping, tight slapping kinda guy :tu.

Your secret is out Scott.

--
    Holadem

16. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Here's a link to Roger Ebert's review

The trailers worried me, this clinches it. [​IMG]

17. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Good lord, who edits Roger's reviews?

He calls Connery's character "QuaRtermain" all the way through the piece, and then there's this quote: "Maybe the filmmakers did their research at the Venetian Hotel in Venice, where Connery arrived by gondola for the movie's premiere." I assume he means "the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas"...

I'm sure I'll end up seeing it anyway. I'll just make sure it's a matinee...

18. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

The idea of having Dorian Gray completely immortal as long as he doesn't see his portrait
    is dumb.

In fact having Dorian Gray in it at all is kinda' dumb. Tom Sawyer, too. I understand they were added for the film version.

19. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

why are those things dumb?

20. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Wow, everywhere I look I see bad reviews for this film. The most disappointing thing about the reviews is how many are saying how dumbed down it is. What a shame but I started having reservations about the film after seeing the trailer & TV spots, it reminded me of films such as The Wild Wild West & The Avengers, not a very good thing. Looks like I might wait and rent the DVD.