What's new

*** Official "THE LAST CASTLE" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Who else really liked the end??
I LOVED the fact that Robert Redford was giving the impression that he was going to raise the flag upside down..and didn't.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Last Castle". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "The Last Castle" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on October 20, 2001 at 06:13 AM]

Michael*K

Screenwriter
We were talking about that after the show last night. There was some debate as to why he didn't. Spoiler:Half the group thought he didn't raise it upside down because he felt their mission was accomplished. The other half (myself included) felt that he fed the information to Yates knowing that it would be passed to Winters, but never having any intention to raise it upside down. In giving Winters the information, he knew what the consequences would likely be and he wanted to die a martyr or a hero.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I thought that the flag was initially intended to be raised upside down, but because of the Sept 11th attacks they thought it would be disrespectful for the flag to be shown upside down.
I think that this was definitely the best movie I have seen this year, it far exceeds the quality of memento in my mind. The only part that still sticks in my mind as being a nonsensical action sequence is whenever Yates hit the tail rotor of the chopper into the tower. I'm no expert on helicopters, but what good pilot would ever take those actions?
This is definitely one of the years best.
Aaron

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I thought that the flag was initially intended to be raised upside down, but because of the Sept 11th attacks they thought it would be disrespectful for the flag to be shown upside down.
I wonder if this is really true. The film would have already been in the can and there would have had to be a last minute reshoot and re-editing of the movie.
I thought that he intentionally provoked Winters reaction by feeding him the information that they planned on flying the flag upside down, but never really was going to follow through. He wanted to push Winters to his snapping point so that he would be removed from command at The Castle.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed this movie. It's hard to compare two very different films, but I'd have to disagree with you, Aaron...this movie doesn't come close to the quality of Memento. There are few films I've seen in the last couple of years that have provided as much conversation material as Memento has.
I think the movie has plenty of nonsensical action sequences...Spoiler:the catapult, for instance. But as with other action movies, I'm willing to suspend reality a bit for a good story. As for the helicopter, I think the reason he crashed the tail rotor was because he had no other weapons with which to take out the guard tower. The guard was switching from rubber bullets to "lethal" ammunition when Yates decided to swing the tail around on the tower. Besides, the screenwriters probably felt it was good to have an extra martyr thrown in for dramatic purposes.
wink.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks