What's new

*** Official THE LADYKILLERS Review Thread (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I saw it, and I am a big coen brothers fan, I think i've seen every one of their movies. That all being said, I found it dissappointing, as dissappointing as their last one, intolerable cruelty. It was funny, and entertaining, but it seemed kind of dumb. It had the coen strangeness of humor, but I really prefer their more serious films, as opposed to their screwball comedies, like intolerable cruelty and raising arizona. (I liked lebowski of course, that was a little different.)

Anyway, I know it's not much of a review, but I'd give it a B, and a little dissappointed for the coen brothers with their latest two... :-/

But as a fan, definitely worth seeing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Ladykillers". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Quick impression, after seeing a sneak preview Thursday: A decent, but not great, effort from the Coens.

Tom Hanks' performance pretty much typifies the film. It's interesting and sporadically amusing , but probably not as funny as the filmmakers intended it to be. Professor Dorr's elaborate syntax and extensive vocabulary may also come across as familiar schtick to long-time Coen fans (like myself). But that said, Hanks still makes a good go of it, and one has to applaud him for departing from his normal image.

I found Marlon Wayans' foul-mouthed character, oddly named "Gawain," to be funnier. The comic highlights of the movie mostly revolved around his personality conflicts with the other criminals, particularly J.K. Simmons' "Mr. Pancake."

The comedy doesn't get particularly dark until the last act, although unfortunately at this point it also becomes somewhat predictable. I'd say this film is still worth a look for Coen fans, but I wouldn't go in expecting a home run.

--Jefferson Morris

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping for a smarter script from the Coen brothers. Yes, there are laughs in this film, but it's characterized as the ol' "the parts are better than the sum of the whole". There isn't a strong cohesive vision and by the time the ending rolls around, I was pretty much done with the film and how everything turns out.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
I was actually really looking forward to this after seeing the trailer and reading the good press but I have to say that I left the theater disappointed. Here's my take:

Pros:
Tom Hanks' southern drawl
Marlon Wayans
The Painting of the husband chainging faces
"Swiss Miss"
J.K. Simmons - I sure hope he gets a bigger part in Spidey 2 because he is a damn good actor. "I met her at an Irritible Bowel Single's event"

Cons:
Tom Hanks' southern drawl - I couldn't understand several of the lines he was muttering
The plot after Mrs. Munson found out - everything seemed to go downhill after this point
The ending - This really sucked the life out of the whole movie

Overall I'd give it a C- or 2.25 out of 5 stars. Really a big let down.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I found the movie to be entertaining. I left the theater enjoying it. I thought the variety of characters in the movie made the movie interesting and funny. I think the language surprised some folks in the theater. I think some people thought Tom Hanks, family movie, but it had an "R" rating and it was for the language which was quite graphic. I just don't understand why some people bring young children to "R" movies but I'm moving a bit off topic. Overall, I'd give the movie a solid "B".

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Tom Hanks was wonderful as usual, but this film needed more than Hanks to help it. Good, but not great.

:star: :star: 1/2 out of :star: :star: :star: :star:

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
I guess I'm in the minority with this one but I couldn't stop laughing during it. The funniest movie I have seen in quite some time. Tom Hanks is hilarious throughout and the movie only gets better as it goes along. I have no doubt that I will only like it more in repeat viewings.
:star: :star: :star: 1/2

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im with you Travis.Even when I wasnt laughing, I was grinning like a idiot.

Id place it there with O Brother(which I also really enjoyed - but I found this to be funnier) but not their greater stuff like Millers... or Fargo.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I can't hate anything by the Coen's. Not their best film - but entertaining none the less. The last 15 minutes where great.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
An OK effort. I went into it expecting more than I got. Hanks was obviously the centerpiece to this film, and there were many moments in it that bordered on untasteful, although never crossed the line. I do also have to agree with a previous review that the ending really did nothing for me. Better to have made it a MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD type chase scene and throw all the ridiculous clichés in... would have made it funnier.

My experience was completely ruined by some TERRIBLE framing-- 2/3s off the screen on the trailers because they were the wrong AR for the screen to begin with, and a good 1/8th off during the film (I could actually see the matting and the titles were at the top of the screen). I complained as soon as the opening titles started and was promised it would be fixed-- NOTHING. Came out after the movie and was told that "everything looked ok" by the staff. Buffoons. Do NOT go to see this one at the Loew's Pallisades in West Nyack, NY.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I guess my review differs from the others posted here.

Pros:

The final instance of the cigarette trick. But the General is no Wheezy Joe.

Other than that, none that I can think of. (Well, the cat was pretty cool)

Cons:

Tom Hanks wasn't funny.

The movie took a half hour to get going but it seemed like much longer.

There was no buildup of one funny thing on top of another, it was just people standing around acting stupid one at a time like a bad sitcom.

Tom Hanks was annoying.

The concept of someone saying m-----f----- over and over needs some sort of twist to be funny. It's been done to death in every parody of a blaxsploitation movie.

You could make a movie of Irma P. Hall walking around and muttering random phrases that would be funnier than Ladykillers. And it wouldn't take anywhere near 104 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks