*** Official THE JACKET Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Janna S, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Just got back from seeing it. I liked it - but then again it's one of my favorite types (drama/time travel with some light philosophy, some hamming it up, some romance, some change-the-future stuff). It has numerous actors I always like to see - Brody, JJ Leigh, Keira K, Kristofferson, Lynch, and a couple of interesting where-have-they beens (M. Phillips, Renfro). I won't bother to pick apart the plot, the philosophy, the moral issues, etc. I just enjoyed it, no apologies. It was a good set-in-winter flick for a sunny (here in Alaska) winter afternoon. The dogs took off for Nome this morning . . . .

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    A big "eh" from me for The Jacket. We've seen this kind of thing before, done much better. I hate to say this about an Aston Kutcher film, but last year's The Butterfly Effect did a much better job of exploring the paradoxes and potential consequences of time travel & manipulation of past events. Then there's the evil mental hospital straight out of Cuckoo's Nest with the torture room downstairs [​IMG], and the unconvincing romance between the two leads:

At the end of their first encounter, Knightly throws Brody out of her house. The next time she sees him she's all "I believe you, I want to help you, and then I want to sleep with you.". Did anyone else feel there might have been a scene or two cut there - perhaps even an entire time-travel episode?

And then there's the love scene between the nearly emaciated Brody & Knightly - jeez!! Somebody get these two a Big Mac or three - stat!! [​IMG]

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ugh. I felt this film was far worse then Butterfly Effect.. BE, while having tons of problems, at least made the assertion that minor changes while seemingly positive, may not work out that way.. this didn't have that linear ability to it, and had tons of goofiness.

The relationship area in this was so contrived as to lack complete understanding, and Chris Kristofferson was beyond terrible.

This is a film that seriously needed to go back to the drawing board.

4. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

Gulf War soldier Jack Starks (Adrien Brody) is critically shot in the head during his tour of duty and miraculously lives. Upon his return to Vermont, he gets a lift from a guy then wakes up accused of killing a police officer. Found insane he is sent to a mental facility where an experimental doctor (Kris Kristofferson) begins his unique treatment of pumping the patient full of drugs then strapping them into a straight jacket and finally loading them into a morgue drawer for a period of time. Here they flip out and supposedly work out their bad tendencies. Jack finds that he has a unique experience during his session and uses this to his advantage.

I’ll sum it up as finger nails running down a chalkboard. It was painful to watch the montage of scene’s that dominate the beginning ½ of the movie. You are moved through the story as if you were taking a roller coaster ride. The story was in a hurry to get you to the Mental hospital with flashes here and there and an annoying assortment of sounds that made me sick. The only saving grace is near the end where it starts to get a little interesting but even that is only average. In the theater I went to there wasn’t many to see this and a couple got up and left. The Butterfly Effect is much better then this and I didn’t care for Jacob’s Ladder.

D-

5. Edwin_H

Edwin_H Stunt Coordinator

I saw The Jacket earlier this week and left the screening feeling disappointed. I really thought that the concept of the movie was intriguing, it just seems like they didn't fully develop it. I believe they could have done much more with the time travel than they did. I also agree with what others have said about Brody and Knightley's hook up on his second trip seeming to come out of nowhere. I did not think this was a bad movie by any means, just one that could have used a little more work on the script. Anyone else notice the blink and you'll miss cameo by Brad Renfro(star of The Client and Apt Pupil) as the guy who picks up Starks?

Edwin

6. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Saw it last night. Thought it was ok. The editing seem pretty poor and it did seem to have parts cut from it.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I really enjoyed it. I don't think it'll make my top ten list for this year or anything, but it works well as a feature-length "Twilight Zone" episode with horror stylings.

I enjoyed the way the cliches we expected to play out didn't play out quite that way. I also enjoyed the sacrificial nature of the lead's final action. If you're looking for a concept film about time travel, this isn't it. But if you're looking for a fairly engaging drama that uses time travel as a medium, this fits the bill nicely.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I saw this at the Sundance Film festival a few months ago. I thought it was really enjoyable movie and far ahead of Butterfly Effect.

Guess the Director is pretty upset that they are marketing this as a Horror flick when in fact it isnt. I knew after seeing it that it would be a hard one to market.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Jacket". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy