What's new

***Official The Incredibles DVD Discussion (merged) Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Incredibles" DVD. Please, post all discussion comments to this thread.

All HTF member DVD reviews of the "The Incredibles" should be posted to the "HTF REVIEW: The Incredibles -- INCREDIBLY RECOMMENDED" Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Neil Joseph

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

I got it at a local store 5 days before street date. yay. But I paid 25 bucks for it...opposed to the $15 everyone else will be paying on Tuesday. Great DVD of the best film of 2004.
I have a question for anyone that bothered checking. Is the Full Frame version altered in a way A Bug's Life was altered to better the composition in 1.33:1? Both of these films were 2.35:1 or wider.

-Mike

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This should probably go in the "HT Software - Film and Documentary" forum. But to answer your question, I believe this film was also 're-composed'

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
If you had watched the Intro by Brad Bird before jumping into feature, you will probably know what is the answer.
:D :D

While he was talking about the fullscreen version of DVD, we can see the 4:3 image was painfully panned from the 2.39:1 image. :D :D :D

Luckily I've got the Widescreen version. Now I know why they don't include both version in one release - because fullscreen is completely waste of time!:D :D :D :D

Before I jump into conclusion, I would like to ask fullscreen version's owner, does it feel like re-composed?

"Too much words, too much! That's why I show you." Edna 'E' Mode

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan. On my version of The Incredibles WideScreen, there is no mention of the fullscreen version at all. Zero. Zilch. Zip.
Where did you see this?

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Adam. Where did you find out about it? All it says on the back of the FullFrame version (which is misleading) is just Presented in Family Friendly Full Frame 1.33:1.
If it was altered in the same way A Bug's Life was, I might pick it up as well. Partially because I'm such a huge fan of the film. ...plus I can watch that version at my nephews house. ...otherwise, I'd make him suffer through the widescreen version. ....I know.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator

Introduction by Brad Bird, on Disc 1. I especially liked the part when he said 'let's dim the light, crank up the sound...' with two thumbs up.

Can anyone capture the image from fullframe version, compare it with widescreen version, and prove what Brad Bird said was wrong?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Region 1 disc doesn't have the WS vs. P&S comparison in the intro. Only the international discs do.

And I do believe the 1.33:1 image of the Full Screen disc is Pan and Scanned. Considering how difficult it was to actually make the 2.35:1 OAR film itself, I don't think they had the time to recomposite every shot. But I may be wrong.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Mike, I confess - I've got Region 3 version.:b

I thought the intro was all the same. Did they cut off that part in region 1 or did they completely re-shot the intro? I think we all know why they did this...:D :D

While watching the making of, we can see from the monitor screen that the artist composed everything based on 2.39:1 ratio. So I guess it is pan-and-scan. Same to Iron Giant and Anastasia.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The Region 1 disc has Brad Bird talking about how to calibrate your home theater using the THX Optimizer and then he goes into the Disc 2 supplements. The other regions have Brad Bird and John Walker talking about the benefits of Widescreen - including the wonderful rolling of the eyes by Brad Bird when John says "Full Screen" followed by Brad muttering contemptiously "Full Screen..." and then noticeable sighing due to his annoyance with Pan & Scan :D - and then they do a cut into the separate footage where Brad Bird is alone and goes on to discuss the Disc 2 Supplements. So, the openings are different, but the endings are the same. Of course, I believe only Region 1 is getting a Full Screen disc....

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Just us Region 1 americans are getting a pan & scan version? Sounds like it's been ridiculously panned, scanned, and butchered then. ...Out of curiousity I'm interested in how horrible it will look during some of those shots....wow.
Adam, have you heard something different?

..can't wait till we all adopt 16:9 greatness. I'm shooting for this holiday season for myself.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
That's also how "A Bug's Life" was made. After the film was completed, the layout team went back and re-composed/re-renderd the film as necessary for the 4:3 version. This was never considered during production.

Regards,

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, another opportunity to extol the benefits of Widescreen that get ignored here because we seem to be the only area of the world that doesn't get it. Ugghhhhh

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
get ignored here?

Well I'm going to assume that it was a shot by shot process that maybe they didn't have enough time to do as well as they'd like, hence it being so "painstaking"...not just because it hurts to alter beautiful composition.

Thanks for the input.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I think he means that in REGION 1 they have ignored the virtues by cutting the discussion of how widescreen is better, etc. Not "here" as in HTF or that Bird and Co. blew it by not recompositing.

It's sad that they (the suits) are actually apparently afraid of turning viewers into W/S fans by having Bird tell them how its better. Probably because they figure the P&S morons would simply take it to mean "you got the crappy version, you should sue us even though you still hate W/S and simply don't understand what is being explained at all". ;) :frowning:

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
That would be funny if Bird told eveyone they got the crappy version. But it's better that he at least expressed annoyance for having to do it. ...if we want anyone to embrace what I like to call FULL frame (widescreen) then we have to at least make the p&s fans think they thought of the idea for themselves rather then lectured into it.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I don't think a few quick sentences by Brad Bird are going to make much difference -- you can talk to some people until you're blue in the face about OAR and letterbox, and they just don't care. They want a big image on their TV, and they don't care that they're losing information to get that big image. They get the concept, they just don't care about losing the picture information. I think Brad Bird could come to these people's houses and talk to them personally about widescreen, and they're still not going to care. They want the "big image", not the "black bars".

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly. Most people at this point know what the differences are. Now, if they choose the dark side, they'll have to dig deep inside of their own souls to join the rebel alliance on their own.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby

For Disney to do this to America is like...

...Like someone pouring several cups of Kool-Aid, spitting in one of them, and then telling everybody except one person that they spit in that cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks