What's new

*** Official THE INCREDIBLE HULK Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Most of that 70 minutes will probably be deleted scenes on the DVD rather than being added back to the movie. I'm sure there's great material that would add to the movie but adding 70 minutes is mindlessly self-indulgent and it would ruin the movie.

A 26 minute fight scene? That would just prove that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely hated Spidey 3, and X-Men 3. That being said I loved Iron Man, and I really loved The Hulk. It seems the Marvel movies are back in fine form again.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This movie was great!

**I'm not using spoiler tags because this is the movie discussion thread.**

I hope it does well enough to warrant another chapter. It at least looks like HULK will be involved with The Avengers. Since Tony Stark came to General Ross about putting a team together, that says to me that they intend to use the HULK in the Avengers movie (or at least Stark and Nick Furry are interested in the possibility of using the HULK). They did set up the Leader, so they definitely have places to go in a sequel.

I liked that Bruce seemed to be slowly gaining the ability to have more influence over what he does when he is the Hulk. That makes it much more likely that he could function as a genuine "super hero" (to a degree)and even an Avengers team member. By the end he was able to transform into the Hulk at will. Again, this gives him much more control and a better ability to at least "aim" the Hulk until he learns to have even more control over it.

The Blonsky/super soldier stuff was cool. It definitely gives me a better feel for how it would be to see Captain America in live action. And I'm glad that Blonsky/Abomination was captured and not killed. Again, it just leaves more possibilities for future HULK/MARVEL films.

With Iron Man and now The Incredible Hulk, it is really cool to see an actual "Marvel Movie Universe" taking shape. Very cool.

Oh, and I thought it was great that when Bruce told Betty he couldn't have sex with her because it was to dangerous (he'd Hulk-out) she basically asked if he could still go down on her. Dirty girl!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll pop a review in tomorrow.

Short and sweet. I liked it as much as I liked Iron Man (which was quite a bit). They had different strengths, but were both cohesive and entertaining films. RDJ got the crowd very excited.

Very impressed with the direction and performances.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regarding Liv Tyler, I must say she has a very sexy voice especially with it being so soft in volume.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Liv Tyler brightened the film nicely she has a nice screen presence. They played the King Kong-ish elements of the story nicely.

Norton was good. The action was solid. It seemed to nod towards the TV show a lot more than I was expecting.

I guess the issue now is apparently they pissed off Edward Norton by not giving the director final cut, and he's refused to do any publicity for this movie.

I think that means unless they're willing to pay an obscene amount or give Norton total control .... he's out for a sequel/Avengers flick. So I dunno, that might be interesting if they do another Hulk movie ... they probably will have to have to find a new Bruce Banner again.

The cameo by Stark at the end was a terrific ending though, it sent the audience I saw it with buzzing.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Hopefully, some bridges will be mended there by a release of the longer cut on DVD. I really enjoyed this film as-is, but I do think some more fleshing-out of the characters and the science mumbo-jumbo could've made it even stronger. I got the impression the studio was so paranoid about comparisons to the Ang Lee version that it cut all scenes of people talking to the absolute minimum. The third act, in partucular, got pretty choppy.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Especially the Ending When Betty Stops the Hulk from His final Rage that whole fight was pretty violent. Lou F. also voiced the Hulk good job by him. The Only Scene that I was taken away from believing the CGI was the Kong tribute about halfway thru. I like how Marvel is setting the Stage for an Avengers Movie. The Movie also established Bruce's ability to control his Hulking Out somewhat, which is established in the Comics. The Only thing that is missing is the Hulk's Hatred of Banner.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

Don't worry, The Captain was not shown, although Emil Blonsky does receive small dosages of the Super Soldier Serum (there was even a reference to the scientist, Dr. Josef Reinstein, who developed the serum, on a cannister label) to take on the Hulk. Emil Blonsky's "first round" with the Hulk was a nice preview of a "low dosage" Captain America.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Just got back a little while ago from finally getting out to see it. I'd probably put Iron Man above it at this point but TIH was quite good. Here's some of the complaints I had heard about the film going in:

1. There was little chemistry between Norton and Tyler. I disagree with that pretty much completely. I think they worked very well together and you could sense the desire and emotion from both actors.
2. William Hurt went too over the top as General Ross. Again, I disagree. It may have been somewhat one-dimensional but it was not over the top.
3. The CGI was not very good. 3 for 3 on the disagree side. I thought there were quite a few moments when the effects were done excellently. The close ups may not have been great but some of the further out shots blended the CG with the real world very well.

To be fair, here's two gripes:
1. The bully from the bottling plant should have been dead. He got hit or thrown by the Hulk without the benefit of the super soldier serum and went through multiple walls.
2. The conclusion of the fight with the Abomination didn't make a ton of sense to me. Hulk takes off, leaving a still alive and pretty much impervious Abomination within feet of innocents including Betty. They didn't show him change back into Blonsky so how exactly was the military to keep him under control when they failed miserably at it just minutes before?

One last thing, and no one will really be able to answer this. Do you think the conversation at the end between Stark and Ross hinted at SHIELD's desire to capture Hulk or to bring him onto the team?

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

If the cameo was done correctly, all you would see of Captain America would be a small part of his costume and a group of natives in a circle worshiping a figure trapped in ice.This would be similar to Avengers #4 were the Sub-Mariner inadvertently released him.

Might be a neat idea for the climax of the Captian America movie.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
That sounds decent. I was picturing a scene where Bruce Banner is slumped out in front of a vast lake on some icy terrain with snow-capped mountains in the background, feeling sorry for himself. Then a mysterious figure comes out of nowhere, walks over, pats him on the shoulder, and says something like "Buck up, kid. In times like these, what America needs most....is a hero." Then he winks, and walks away. Bruce Banner is left with a wtf reaction, but soon finds meaning in the words, nods to himself, smiles, picks himself up, and walks out of frame. Cut to: Banner walking amidst a sea of people in NYC.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
In the scene where Betty and Bruce are getting all hot & heavy in the hotel room. Was it just me or did Betty WANT HIM to go all Hulk? :D LOL

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
That hotel room scene would be a great for an extended 'deleted' scene for DVD release. Just for the kicks.

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Nobody's mentioned the "Wave motion gun scene?" The sound cannons? That sequence actually surprised and impressed me, and I'm not one thats overly in love with CGI. It was well done.

drclack

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Clack
I loved all the little refrences and in-fan boy stuff. The purple pants jokes, the refrence to Cap America, the cameo at the end, the hint at the next villian (The Leader).
It reminds me of when I was a kid reading Marvels in the 60's. Heores would pop up in each others books all the time. Its all a lead up to the Avengers film in 2011. t least I feel they are doing a good job with this new wave of self produced films. The FF films left me lacking. Spiderman was fun but I never really much liked him growing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks