*** Official "THE HUNTED" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Steve_Tk, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Anyone else going to see this?

I love Tommy Lee Jones, looks like it might be a fun action flick. I'm not going to it with any high expectations, just some exciting scenes most likely.

What does everyone else think?

2. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

The second I saw the trailer for the first time I thought Rambo IV: The Fugitive

It's just SO obvious.

But I'll see it anyway because I like all 3 main actors, especially Connie Nielsen [​IMG]

3. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Heck, why not a remake of the first Rambo movie? It is pretty much the exact same plot. Sheesh.

Phil

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Eh... the "rogue-operative/special force/whatever-turned-mad-because-he-killed-a-lot-of-people-and-wasn't-hugged-enough-for-it" has been done to death but I am there anyway, I mean it's Del Torro and Tommy Lee Jones fer crissakes!

Who wants to guess when we get to hear the obligatory "I trained him, I know how he works/thinks" line?

This time of year is depressing.

--
    Holadem

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It got a grade of D in my local paper. I don't think I'll be making a special effort to see this film.

6. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I'm planning on see it this weekend.

Ebert and a local paper gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

I've been looking forward to this one too! Granted the plot looks predictable, i'm a sucker for a good chase scene.

Paul

7. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

8. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

This is the exact reason why I am going.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I wonder how much time the screenwriters had to spend to find an alternate phrase for "They drew first blood!"? [​IMG]

Good pedigree is enough of a reason for me to see it. Del Toro hasn't steered me wrong even in his bad films. And we haven't seen Tommy knife fight since Under Siege.

10. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Yeh this type movie has been done 100 times. But almost every movie has been done before.

Sometimes it's fun just to see some favorite actors run around with knives in a fun action movie with very little plot.

I don't go to every movie expecting a Gladiator experience. If they were all like that I would grow tired of them.

11. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Very little plot, very little characterization, very little at stake, very little information, very little acting, very little EVERYTHING!!

This film was really hollow. I walked out after "the big fight". There was nothing left worth seeing...and, actually, "the big fight" wasn't worth seeing. I dig Benicio and Jones, but they don't even have a chance to flex here.

Bad, bad movie...

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Hunted" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Hunted" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

13. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

I just got back from seeing "The Hunted" -- My suggestion, save your money! The story and dialogue were very lame. The only I went to see is because it was filmed in Portland, OR. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Enjoy your weekend!

bruce

14. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I enjoyed it a lot also.

It's like the Fugitive, but less story driven and more action driven.

Tommy Lee is good. Basically his same role as always. You can really tell when he walks in at the beginning asking about the trap.

Fun movie, just don't go expecting to come out with an overwhelming feeling of a great story, or the best movie of 2003. But for a fun action flick, it's great.

Was that Johnny Cash narrating at the beginning and singing at the end?

15. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

That was indeed Johnny Cash.

I thought the movie was OK, but it really had no original ideas. Quite graphic in it's violence, too.

My wife hated it with a passion. She even said she hated it more than Fight Club, which is saying something. She did not talk to me for literally 24 hours after seeing that one. She was the one who picked The Hunted however, so we're still talking. [​IMG]

16. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Well, I saw this last night and was really disappointed. Like others have said, it is a really hollow film. Virtually no story at all. It has a useless section showing Del Toro in his special forces unit and all the horrors he has seen. The movie never explains anything...why the "sweepers" are after him, why L.T. did not read/respond to the letters and on and on. What was the point of the girlfriend to the story? Who the heck has time to forge a knife in the middle of a chase! I have done some blacksmithing...it is not easy and I would say near impossible the way they show it. The characters take horrific wounds and keep on fighting like nothing happened. There is nearly zero lines for the actors as it is chase after chase. This would not be so bad if I could really believe a guy as old as Jones could run, leap and jump as much as he did.

I don't know what Ebert saw in this movie. I sure did not see anything worth praising.

17. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Scott captures my thoughts well. The beginning was promising, but the ending was just stupid. I am quite disappointed.

My first main peeve was the use of the "superman" cheat, where at the end of an action movie, the main characters are capable of anything. In about an hour, Aaron forges multiple knives from scrap, rusty metal. He builds multiple traps, including one using two large tree trunks! He traverses quite a long distance! Then, after watching LT fall from the top of the gorge into the river, he gets to the lower shoreline before LT! Did I mention this all took place in about an hour?

My second main pet peeve is that LT should have been killed. He is 10-20 years Aaron's senior. He has never seen combat. He's not taught in several years. He hasn't been practising fighting. Aaron, however, is fresh from combat, in perfect shape, and is essentially full-time training. And in every fight, he was ahead of LT. No way he would have lost the fight.

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

DaveF, you may want to spoilerize your review in the review thread. Your last paragraph is a huge one.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Alex - I did as you suggested. I just assumed that the ending was obvious, since the good guy always wins.