What's new

*** Official THE HAPPENING Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
It's at 20% on rotten tomatoes. Pretty bad, but Indiana Jones was at 80% and it was a steaming pile, so who knows what to believe.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Shyamalan hasn't failed me yet, I doubt The Happening is as bad the "critics" claim. They all come off to me as being bitter because it's not another "Sixth Sense".

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, now I am worried. I wanted laughs. LAUGHS! Might be good? Nooooooooo...!

Seriously, I like what he has to say. There's a reason I'm not seeing Ironman or Hulk this weekend. I'll give this a chance instead of expecting to redicule it. I was reading a debate on The Village, "another" problematic M movie for some, and it was real interesting reading what the PRO guy had to say. He was right on the money. If you thought it was a monster movie you failed.

From the trailer I can't see myself doing anything other than one of these: GROANING or LAUGHING. I'm game to find out!! Now, Ebert didn't seem to mention the acting (that looks horrid in the trailer)...but I mainly scanned his review since he usually gives too many details than I'd like to know about.

Indy4 was a steaming pile...of mashed potatoes! Just needed a little more gravy and butter. But it still tasted pretty good.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Not enough to draw me to the theater, a DVD or PPV viewing would work for me. Ebert lays out an interesting review. Have to admit, nothing beats a good old fashion disaster movie and it might have been nice to see how people would react to situation in mass.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I'm still going...All I have to do is see what tops the box office charts week to week or for the hundreth time get into a new TV show and see it canceled because of bad ratings to realize that the majority of the world as we know it has no taste or a sense of imagination whatsoever.

These type of movies are ripe for bashing and on top of that directed by a director is who ripe for bashing. It may not be great but it won't be as bad as many say either. I would rather see something off beat like this that may miss the mark than another superhero flick.

IanDP

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
He does tend to inadvertently drop spoilers from time to time.
I read the whole thing and he does say "The performances by Wahlberg and Deschanel bring a quiet dignity to their characters."
So yeah, he did at least address what looks to be strange performances from them.
I can't wait to see this movie. I trust Ebert.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well I'll be darned! I hope I see it that way as well. He usually steers me in the right direction (War of the Worlds being an exception since he didn't care for it much and I loved it). He's intro'd me to some real winners, like Totoro.

Anyway, I'm kind of excited too. I just got me some cash for the cinema visit tomorrow. Can't beat mattinees for stuff like this. $4.50 isn't a lot to drop on a relaxing cinema experience. This should at least be kind of strange...maybe some laughs at the movie's expense. I predict I walk out scratching my head.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Right on, brother!

It's taken me a while to appreciate the filmmaker. I'm only just now catching on. I'll definitely see Lady in the Water someday just to form my own opinion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Happening". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Happening" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

todd stone

Screenwriter
just got back from seeing this mess. WORST MOVIE ever. the crowd boo'd and rightfully so. terrible dialogue and acting by walberg and his wife

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The film is pretty bad. All the laughs garnered by this film were of the "we're laughing at you" variety. But then again, the last laugh is on the audience who paid to see this crapfest. Night did have a role in this film, he was "Joey", so you only heard him. I'm off the Night train, and unless his next projects get sparkling reviews, I'm done with his films.

Even with the R rating, it just gave Night an excuse to be more graphic in depicting deaths, with no true purpose, except to get cheap laughs from the audience. This is a film that demands audience participation, almost like a Rocky Horror Picture Show experience. My typical refrain of the film would have been "Are you F'in kidding me?" over and over again.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im still on "the Night Train" if you will.

I maybe in the minority here but I loved it! I didnt think Whalberg and Zooey gave bad performaces; they were subtle. I had a good time.

(Helluva lot better than Indiana Jones)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
...and Manos? And this....?

Well, I'm going to see this not knowing what in the hell to expect. I actually think it IS worth the money to make up your own mind about it. But I certainly agree that if this isn't a fun film to watch this director won't get any more of my money unless the next one gets glowing reviews. Although, reguardless, I do plan to catch LitW sometime. But this film will definitely decide if I'm in a hurry about it.

todd stone

Screenwriter
people at the end of the movie said "who the hell directed this? Uwe Boll?!?!"

garbage. O and let's not forget the OBVIOUS and out of place i-phone plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks