What's new

*** Official THE DREAMERS Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
The quick and short of it: Formally accomplished, engaging in spots but not enough overall for me to recommend it. Bertolucci is one of the gaping holes in my cinematic knowledge, so how this plays for me is probably vastly different compared to those more familiar with his oeuvre.

RafaelB

Second Unit
I saw it last week and basically agreed with the EW review. It didn't have enough going for it to keep me interested (not even the nudity). :frowning:

Rafael.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Well I saw it and I cant reccomend it. I didnt understand the motivation of the characters and didnt particularly care for them either. I thought they were flat as was the plot.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Dreamers". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Ultimately, perhaps Bertollucci wanted to capture the spirit of political unrest of the late 1960's, but to do so with the 3 main characters (Matthew, Theo, Isabelle), none of whom capable of engaging the audience enough to garner any sort of empathy in their world views and plight, it was a strange, flaccid letdown by the time the credit roll.

Given its payoff, the film is just frustrating enough because there are some fun bits of the characters playing out scenes from classic cinema (interspliced with the real footage), and there's a sadness watching such immaturity on display while these 3 characters stumble around and possibly succumb to the opportunity of falling victim to even more cinematic "solutions" for the predicament they find themselves in as the climax of their days without parental supervision comes to a head.

Can't recommend it heartily (but Eva Green is one beautiful gal, she's brave to commit to this material).

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
So far, four reviews and they have all been underwhelmed. Make that five.

Bernardo Bertolucci examines the pathological, philosophical, sociological, political, and carnal motivations of three cinephiles in the midst of a revolution in France in early 1968. All topics were touched upon in one form or another but not a single one leaving a bold, impressive and lasting mark in this cinematic tour de force. It is another case of a little of too many and not enough of a single one. Characters drift in and out of their own existential bliss.

~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks