What's new

*** Official THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (2008) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link to the review.

I happen to catch Letterman last night and Reeves was the first guest promoting this film. I don't think I've ever seen him interviewed on latenight before. What struck me was how Letterman drove the interview. It was unlike other Letterman interviews with President Clinton or Harrison Ford or Bruce Willis. Letterman did most of the talking and then turned the conversation to the movie and he briefly described the plot leaving Reeves to mostly say very little. I am not saying Letterman walked all over him, but it looked like Letterman felt he had to keep the conversation going as Reeves wasn't exactly the brilliant conversationalist. It felt like Reeves is really a shy or introverted type and wasn't in his element. I can understand that. I did like how Letterman kept calling him Klaatu!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I hate that they've Klattu into another "Evil" Alien while Humanity is shown as all good, In the original they came to help us and We screwed things up, Howw come things were more optomistic in the Freakin 50's than nowadays.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Yeah, the 50's were great! I can't imagine choosing to live now if given the choice between now and the 50's :rolleyes

The Cold War and its persistent nuclear threat, the Korean War (claiming over a million dead), pervasive segregation - what a great time to be alive.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, people seem to have tendency to only remember the good things when they look back at the past. In the past, some things sucked and are better now and now, some things suck and were better then.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I would guess that in the 50s you had little choice except to be optimistic. You just survived the worst economic crisis in history and then got to have the most destructive war in history as a sequel. Coming out of all that people needed to believe they could fix things for the better, otherwise why bother with anything? Maybe today people are cynical because we have the financial security to allow us that "luxury"?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I heard on the news today that this movie will be the first to be shot into deep space until the year 2012. That's just great, alien life forms will be seeing a movie showing them attacking us with Keanu Reeves.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Penn & Teller's "Bullshit" about wanting to live in the past.. classic. You just made me think of that.

The whole concept of the movie featuring

Giant, spherical Arks to take animals away while they blow up the planet.. classic. Hilariously bad.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I am willing to bet cash money that Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is a superior film to this remake.

Bogus Journey probably is as well, but I might not gamble on that.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Well, either way I think the name of this movie is vaguely hypocritical, as the tomorrow the day most certainly, "won't stand still" and the movie will bomb hard, at least here in the US. It might open well, but other than that I doubt it will do well. Worldwide it might do OK.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I didn't read this whole thread but there is news that they are beaming this movie into space and someone said:

:laugh:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
One of the worst movies I saw this year. There was a woman actually crying behind us at the end of the movie. I'd cry to knowing I spent $10 on this movie.

Keanu was perfect playing this role, he was born to play this character. He has reached the pinnacle in his career, quit while your ahead.

The movie basically preaches to you from about the middle of the movie to the end.

If I could save someone from watching this movie and wasting their time, I will have done my job.

Paul

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Maybe Keanu IS an alien! That would explain his persistent "dead fish" acting style over the last few years!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What a garbled mess. I guess the aliens want us to not destroy the planet. And so, making sure we have no electricity and they've destroyed/killed a giant swath of population worldwide helps accomplish that (?) for now. Turn off all the power everywhere, no cars, strand all ships (so I guess the people on cruises get to starve to death), destroy tons of buildings, cities, and wipe out tons of military installations. Then leave and ask us to care for the planet.

I'm wondering if instead the response would be "we, the nations of the world, have to get on a major R&D binge to figure out how to beat the aliens!" In fact, while watching this as the wrath broke out, I was thinking: "First invasion prior to Ender's Game" ...

Ridiculous. The whole show was ridiculous. Oh, and Biological Altruism for a nobel prize? WTF is that? How did John Cleese not laugh at that.. I damn near doubled up.. Biological Altruism.. guess he found it in his good nature to pity some lesser person or.. who knows.

A mess. An outstanding, disastrous mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks