*** Official THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Niko Nykanen, May 26, 2004.

1. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

Haven´t found a review thread so I thought i´ll start one.

Came back from the movie 40 minutes ago. To sum it up in a sentence:
    Best Catastrophy Movie i´ve seen in my 28 year old life.

The first hour is just SO brilliant with it´s build-up and then just stunning with it´s scenes of mass destruction. The slow pans around the various ground zeros are just so good looking that it made me drop my jaw.. several times.

The only bad thing was the cgi wolves. Luckily we didn´t see much of them. And the best part was that some hero didn´t save the world at the end. =)

Gotta see this one again this saturday with my girlfriend.
    Can´t wait until then.

Way to go Emmerich! (He seems to do better movies without Dean Devlin...)

(4 out of 5)

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Day After Tomorrow". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread. (NOTE: Replacement Official Discussion Thread is here.)

Crawdaddy

3. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Like the radical climatic changes that charge the plot of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, the film itself runs hot and cold. Like Dennis Quaid's character who is desperately trying to warn people of the coming doom, I feel obligated to warn potential movie goers before they venture into the theatre. Yes, this is a disaster movie with disaster being the operative word.

I couldn't help thinking of director Roland Emmerich's ID4 while watching this as he tries hard to remind us. The film brandishes a similar look and style, with lots of jumping to different locales with official sounding names. The swirling hurricanes reminded me of the mother ships in ID4 and the destruction of the Big Apple (hey, it's in the previews) substitutes water here for fire.

Unfortunately, Emmerich has put the film's climax in the first third of the running time. This ten minutes in LA is definitely the film's hotspot and in the future if I'm ever flipping by when it's on TV I'll definitely stop for this bit. But after that the film goes downhill fast - on racing skis. Unlike ID4, or Twister, where the protagonists search for a remedy - the movie makes it clear that there is no solution. Thus, the film's tragic message. So the plot is left stranded like Dennis Quaid's son in New York. The rest of the film focuses on Quaid's attempt to snowshoe to the Big Icicle and rescue him. It's all very dry and predictable - and cliched (the politicians that won't listen, the estranged wife and son, the sick child).

There is humour - unfortunately, it's mostly unintentional. Tops is a ridiculous scene involving a Russian freighter and some rabid wolves that will leave you howling.

I felt sorry when one character bit the dust early in the film, but by the end I didn't feel sorry for him at all. I was saving all that sympathy for myself!

4. BretWeaver

BretWeaver Stunt Coordinator

Independence Day without aliens... that pretty much sums it up for me. Typical summer blockbuster, worth a matinee. Definetly a theater experience, wont be the same unless you've got a sweet setup.

5. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

WayneG pretty much said it all.

The only thing that I'd add is that movies like ID4 and armageddon can be fun to watch (if you're in the right mood) even though they are laughably implausible, because those movies don't take themselves too seriously. This movie takes itself very serious, which makes it less fun.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yup, nifty first hour of setup, and then the film just peters out to an all-too-predictable conclusion, with clumsily staged sentiment to draw on the emotional heartstrings in the end.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

7. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Just got back from seeing it with the wife. The effects are fantastic, the story is okay as long as you understand it's science fiction. The sappy family story actually worked for us; in fact my wife said it's what made the film more appealing to her. I'm a disaster movie nut, and this one is going on my shelf when DVD time rolls around.

8. WillG

WillG Producer

Groan!!

While the effects were good, all the money shots were in the first hour, leaving an hour of every cliche in the book.

Can someone tell me how the depth of the ice is so inconsistent? First the ice level is high enough to bury a shopping mall but in the next shot, like 12 feet of telephone pole is sticking out of the ice, then they see NYC which is halfway buried.

Vice President [Cheney]: (paraphraised) we have catastrophic global weather conditions"

President [Bush]: "What do you think we should do"

Plus the President "not making it" Dare to dream?

Then there's the "irony" of U.S. citizens desperately trying to cross the Mexican border, with the even stranger irony that Mexico attempts to shut its borders.

The Hollywood sign being destroyed.

Hell, I was hoping for aliens to show up to liven up the second half of the film.

9. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

Yup, strong 1st half but weak second half. There's only so many ways you can make snow look dangerous. [​IMG]

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Saw this today; don't have anything to add that hasn't been said, except that I'm sick of contrived situations (accidentally walking atop that glass-ceiling building, for instance). The only character I cared for was the homeless man and (especially) his dog.

11. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Just got back from seeing it. So far, the best I have seen this year (F/X wise that is). The human element was the worst part of it of course, and only when they were in peril do we see any acting or action on their part. But that to expect from a disaster film. ***/**** for me.

Am I the only one who thought it was too short? Granted it did come in at a little over 2 hrs, but I feel a good portion of the first half was trimmed to make it more action packed and effects driven (obviously). I know people will knock it for its weak acting and script and that the human factor is severly lacking, but still even for a film liek this I would have thought there would be more screen time with the actors i nthe first half and even some parts of the second. Maybe I just liked it enough to want there to be more scenes to help flesh it out. Guess we will have to wait for the deleted scenes on the DVD release.

This was certainly the loudest film I saw this year. The storm SFX were astounding, which seem to over pwoer the rest of the sound at times, but thats just me. The tow largest screen at our movei theater both have Dolby Digital sound, and this and Shrek are showing in them.

12. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

terrible movie. boring, bland, been there done that. some of the worst CGI i have ever seen.

I was falling asleep in the film. stay away.

[​IMG]

13. Dave Hackman

Dave Hackman Stunt Coordinator

Bad movie, this is a film you don't mind getting out of your seat to use the restroom because there are so many slow moments. This movie is trying to put too many disaster situations into one movie. The problem is that each is given so little time to impact you that you really just don't care what happens. Bad acting, horrible dialog, zero character development and lackluster special effects sum it for me. I would not recommend you see this in the theater or waste your money on a rental.

14. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Terrible with a capital T. The FX were good on the disaster stuff but there is also some awful blue-screen to behold. I found the FX overall to be cold - they didn't do anything for me. It's a bad story, bad science, and over the top politicking. [​IMG]

15. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

It was OK. I give it [​IMG] [​IMG]/ [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am a sucker for disaster movie so I saw it in spite of the bad reviews I had read. The effects were top notch I though, except for the wolves
    but that part would have sucked anyways. Their pseudo-science environmental propaganda was amusing at best. Anyone else notice that big summer popcorn movies in the 90's (Clinton administration) tried to show strong, respectable Presidents(Bill Pullman in Independence Day, Harrison Ford in Air Force One and Morgan Freeman in Deep Impact, for example), yet this one (with its obvious political/environmental agenda) portrays the President as a buffoon and the VP as a greedy, "evil" man who cares about nothing but money...I just find it interesting...
    Oh well, it was an entertaining enough film and worthy of a matinee. And like I said, I love disaster movies, so this one will eventually find its way to my shelf.

16. Steven.W.T

Steven.W.T Stunt Coordinator

I liked it. Its a fun entertaining summer movie. It was worth my $5.50 matinee. I wished the disaster sequences were longer though. Like what other people said the second half kind of dragged, oh well. I didnt go to the theather expecting some masterpiece, I wanted to be entertained. It was a little too preachy though.

17. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Two things that made this movie fun for me:

1)I went in with extremely low expectations
    2)I'm from Cleveland, and we live to talk about the weather

I also enjoyed the cast, especially Jake G. The corny dialog was expected, c'mon you guys! and the silly political message/family message..IGNORE IT. I'm a sucker for this type of movie. I just wish they showed more destruction.

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I thought this movie sucked. The highlight was everyone in the cinema laughing in all the wrong places. The effects were good and everything else was silly.

Hate to see Dennis Quaid do such a bad movie...

19. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Terrible. Terrible. The science in this is terrible, the acting is terrible, and the scenes are terrible. From the payphone moment to the error regarding outrunning a tsunami to burning books instead of readily available wood; along with a Wendy's that still had gas service.. ugh.

This movie was riddled with bad science and half the cliches you hope you never see again.

0 / ****

I came home and watched "The Fugitive" then "Bourne Identiy' on Showtime, I think, and realized what good "action" movies are supposed to be..

20. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I actually liked it and I got out of it what I was expecting, pure popcorn turn off your brain and enjoy type of movie.