***Official THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Oct 13, 2004.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I tried doing a search. But, it didn't pull up the original thread for the movie.

Anyway, in the scene where the wave hits NY. Is that the storm surge from the super-hurricane? I don't remember them explaining it.

Thanks!

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Existing discussion thread.
    I don't recall for sure, but I think it was due to the antarctic ice sheets breaking apart and creating waves/higher sea level.

The "super-hurricanes," if I recall, were drawing down super-cooled air from the atmosphere, not sucking up water/wind from sea level, so there wouldn't have been a traditional storm surge.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Unfortunately, the existing discussion thread seems to have fallen victim to a board glitch.

M.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

So I was watching "The Day After Tomorrow" with my 10year old. She wanted to see the NYC tidal wave scene. And she wondered why the government had to go to Mexico, when Florida and most of the south was free of snow?? You see this at the end of the movie when they show North America from space and it looks like the snow line ended at the Texas border.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Since the original official discussion thread was lost due to a board glitch, I have designated this one for further discussion. The Official Review Thread is still here.

M.

6. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Just watched it again...and heard it was from a wind driven storm surge.

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I enjoyed the movie but the only thing I was looking for was a bit more disasters and peril. Watched again the other night and I felt the same way, more human peril would have been a good addition to the movie.