What's new

*** Official THE DARK KNIGHT Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Terrific movie, and for once, one that lives up to the hype. Thought Gary Oldman was great, one of the underrated players in this. Eckhart and Ledger gave the two best performances in the film - as celebrated on Ledger's has become (and rightfully), Eckhart was great. Also think Christian Bale is easily the best of the big-screen Batmen. Top-notch production all around. The movie deserves all the success it is going to have.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i thought this movie was very good but not a masterpiece. i might change my mind after subsequent viewings. my initial reaction is that it may be TOO ambitious. it tried to address so many refreshing viewpoints of the superhero genre that it deterred from the main plot (which is why with more viewings it may be less distracting).
off the top of my head, i would say that taking out the
guy knowing Batman's identity
subplot could have made the movie would be just a bit leaner and more focused.
but all in all, a great movie.
there were alot of themes taken from Miller's DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, including
the public calling him a vigiliante, the no-kill rule
which was cool. and the emergence of the batpod just blew me away!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
This is a well-crafted movie. Ambitious and complex. By far the most sophisticated "summer movie" ever.

Nolan does a fine job writing and directing. The story and most characters have many layers and are fleshed out as much as needed. His actions sequences don't wow you, but I like the fact that they felt real.

The cast, especially Ledger, Eckhart, and Oldman, do a great job with their roles. Maggie was better than Katie Holmes, but I thought she wasn't right for the role.

I saw this in IMAX, and it didn't do much for me. At times, I found the switching between the different formats distracting due to the screen ratio and picture quality. There were even some shots that didn't need to be in IMAX.

In the end, this is a crime epic that has a lot of depth to it. It makes me want to see it again, not because of how much I enjoyed it, but because I want a better understanding.

~T

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Utterly fantastic film. Epic. Ambitious. Sprawling. Riveting. It makes Batman Begins look quaint. It all hinges on the performances and they are stellar.

Easily the best (and my favorite) of the "superhero summer."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had some minor issues with it as noted in the discussion thread, but I would still give it an A-.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I've been mulling this film over since Friday afternoon. I saw it twice that day, and got something different out of it each time. The first viewing was dominated by Heath Ledger's brilliant interpretation of the Joker. His hypnotic portrayal both delighted and horrified me, and I breathlessy anticipated his every move. His performance is dynamite, and is the Joker of THE KILLING JOKE and the O'Neill/Adams version of the character personified on screen(makeup or not). I really hope he gets some kind of official recognition for his work.

The second viewing, I just let myself get lost in the story and the other characters. To see James Gordon portrayed on the screen as a strong and important character is a dream come true for me. Bale's complex portrayal of Bruce/Batman is the best ever. And special kudos to Eckhart for his brilliant and believable performance as Harvey Dent/Two Face. Finally, the general movie going public gets to see this brilliant character as he should be portrayed. The rest of the cast-especially Caine, Freeman and Eric Roberts-give solid support. Maggie did a great job in her most important scene, but it would have been a bit more emotional on a personal level if they would have kept Katie Holmes(not because Katie is a better actress, but because I identify her with Rachel Dawes now).

The story is complex, disturbing and yet(as Chuck already said) hopeful. This is not a nihilistic film. The Joker personifies that viewpoint, but every other good character in the film fights against that bleak view of humanity. And even though everyone in the movie ends up scarred(either literally or emotionally), the fight for good goes on.

The technical side of the flick is flawless. The photography and stunts are amazing. The main action sequence at the films center is the best one I've seen in years. More filmmakers should rely on physical stunts rather than CGI. It makes a huge difference in impact.

This is probably the best movie I've seen in the past few years. And I can't wait to see what Nolan and company have in store for us next. 10/10

ErichH

Screenwriter
This film deserves the gushing reviews at IMDB and elsewhere. Relentless Harm delivered with a high degree of craft. Next time around I can enjoy the little details that entertain.

One Hell of a 2nd Act.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Believe the hype and live the hype.

There is no middle ground when a movie’s hype is played out in the media. Either you surpass it or it becomes a bad case of a joke with an awful taste and an utter letdown.

The Dark Knight has exceeded my expectation and deservedly has an outright claim to be a near cinematic masterpiece for a comic book. Nolan has delivered a full-throttle emotionally devastating, psychologically complex, gripping moral and nightmarish tale.

Where do I start…?

Many have painted TDK as Heath Ledger’s high point and yes, he does stamps a trademark definitive role as the Joker. I would say accolades first and foremost belong to the director Christopher Nolan. I have seen most of Nolan’s films and when I saw BB, I was awed and impressed of the way he brought out Batman from the posterior

Since Batman is a hero without superpowers and more grounded in reality as opposed to other characters, it may not be fair to say that it makes Nolan’s task easier to bring his vision onscreen. Maybe he has that leverage. Despite that, Nolan’s craftsmanship has matured and the direction here is vigorous and tactile. The result of his filmmaking’s focus is displayed and expertly done through action, dialogue pacing and timing despite a few missteps in the final act. I even see flashes of Michael Mann’s technique utilized throughout and we know that a nod from Heat’s bank robbery is the opening kicker.

In this sequel, Christian Bale reprises the titular role, along with Michael Caine, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman. Maggie Gyllenhaal replaces Katie Holmes as Wayne’s childhood pal, lawyer Rachel Dawes, and Aaron Eckhart comes on board as district attorney-turned-vigilante killer Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Without doubt the focal attraction is the late Heath Ledger, giving a memorable on–screen performance.

Nolan’s script cleverly fleshes out the Joker’s character in a commanding way that the requisite recitation of Joker’s origin is not missed. Heath's interpretation of The Joker is an absolute extreme of anarchy and chaos. Known for random spur of moments, the Joker is reptilian like slithering snake that comes and goes and causes complete mayhem. A polar opposite of Batman, the Joker challenges him with some psychological wit as he claims that Batman is also a freak like him and utters some clever lines.

There are conflicts that get tangled and shown between the two lawmen Harvey Dent and James Gordon against Batman and how they resolve to deal with crime and search for their inner beliefs, all of it is deeply structured in the narrative.

Eckhart gives a stunning performance as Harvey Dent was trickier than it seems as his characters takes the treacherous turn from a public salvation hero that Batman strives for, buts falls a victim of the Joker’s scheme. The inner conflict Dent shows also involves Rachael Dawes who also shines in her role with a love-triangle that cooks up an integral part of the story.

Oldman as Gordon takes reins as a commissioner and his presence if felt strongly while also trying to battle his consciences in order to bring down a criminal threat that seemingly has no conscience of any kind.

The two senior rock-steady actors, Cain and Freeman deliver their usual as Bale’s closes allies and the scenes they share with Batman/Bruce Wayne is with assurance and class.

As for the caped crusader, Bale once again tries to ground this film and delivers a stellar performance and at times it seemed the spotlight was more on Eckhart and Ledger. Here, as in Batman Begins you can fee his pain and torment but this time around the threat in Gotham City is greater as the criminal underworld piles on and his soul searching is tested.

For Nolan’s employment of technical aspect of filmmaking is shown with brilliance in the cinematography with the Chicago landscapes a Gotham City. The action scenes are amazingly done and breathtaking as well. There’s quite a treat mid-way in the film when Batman is in Hong Kong. There is vast array of gadgetry and tech savvy involved that keeps the geeks like me enthused as well.

One strong element was the music composed by the duo Zimmer and Howrad. The beats are intense and with fervour throughout the sprawling epic that The Dark Knight plays out.

At two and half hours it seemed chugging along but a little slip towards the last act I felt it could have shaved off about fifteen minutes would have made this perfect.

The pacing is frenetic and thrilling; the script is solid, punctuating with frequent outburst of character study. The ensemble of the dynamic cast and a smartly taut direction from Nolan makes The Dark Knight a cinematic tour de force. If there is an Oscar I’d like to hand out, then it would be for Best Director. 9.5/10

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Absolutely amazing cinematic experience!

To gear up for this film I rewatched Batman Begins on BD and as that film's title implies...it's just the beginning.

First off, I cannot find the words to express how much I ate up every moment of Heath Ledger as the Joker! He was just unhinged brilliance with his dirty, creviced face and caked on make-up that, like his madness fueld mind, began to deteriorate and run which made him appear like a mine from hell.

The pacing was off the walls and the film built up a fever pitch by the time we got to the second act and it carried that momentum to the very end. Harvey Dent's transformation into Two Face was both horrific and heartbreaking, watching a once good man descend into madness because he's lost it all.

It also makes the Joker seem all the more sinister because that's what he had in mind all along, so it was a sweet way for the movie to marry the two rather than having them exist as two separate entities from one another. I found myself wincing a little everytime they showed the burned half of his face, it was undoubtably achieved by covering half of his face with green and adding in the carnage later via CGI but the result, as it should have been, was unsettling to see his one rolling eyeball exposed...EEK!

I commented to my friends as we walked out that this was The Empire Strikes Back of Batman films, following the old beliefe that the second act in any story should be a dark time for it's heroes and it is.

They finally got a summer blockbuster JUST RIGHT, a hugly entertaining assault that both electrifies and inspires thought afterwards, The Dark Knight will stand as an exapmle of how a comic book-based film can, and should, be handled and executed.

10 out of 10 for The Dark Knight. :emoji_thumbsup:

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I usually dont post regarding film reviews, but this one is warranted for this movie...

This is truely a new masterpiece for films, ranking it among the best in terms of films and moviemaking in the last 10 years (it ranks alongside LOTR in terms of craftsmanship and use how much dedication is put into the production).

It was a gamble to through audiences right into the mix with little to no back story of the previosu film...you are right onboard from the start and there is no time to look back...the opening bank robbery (clever references to "Heat" come to mind, in fact to me, it eclipses it) sets the stage and the tone for what is to come..at least, I thought so. The film takes a departure on mutliple occasions and I never would have saw coming, and it actually had me guessing as to what would come next.

I cannot even comment on Heath Ledger's performance, or add to what has already been stated. It is masteful, and goes down in history along side the great villains of our time...it will truly be remembered for years to come.

Additionally, the other performances were excellent..Gary Oldman being a standout as Gordon, he cannot be overlooked for his portayal. Eckhart also, who may get Oscar attention along side Ledger in the coming months...the rest of the cast was stellar as well.

The action scenes and set pieces were truly amazing, with the police convoy attack and the badmobile / batpod scenes ranking among one of the best live action scenes / stunts I have ever seen.

I caught a few 9/11 references throughout, from the "terrorist" angle they used with the Joker to how police were given a pretty central role, it terms of corruption and also heroics (the final scenes in the highrise come to mind, along with Gordons portayal).

This is just flat out epic movie making, but also keeping the film and the characters grounded and not letting the scenery and the visuals over take them...Nolan deserves the most credit for this film, he truly pulled off the impossible here.

I can see Oscar noms for much of this film, for Ledger, Cinematography, editing, sound, and also Director.

10 / 10 for me...I saw it on IMAX (my first IMAX experience for a movie) and it made me forget about everything else for 2.5 hours...

If you can see it on IMAX, do so. It is worth every moment and is unforgettable. I left feeling the way I would have felt had I seen Empire Strikes Back if I had been alive then, but I was more satisfied with this film than almost any other film in recent memory.

I plan to see this one at least once more, which is something I rarely do for a film.

fernby

Grip
Real Name
Rodney
Absolutely stunning. Ledger's Joker is the best yet. Makes Nicholson's effort pale into insignifigance. Wonderfully shot and edited, this is the perfect comic book movie made for adults.
9/10.

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
Now that Nolan has remarkably handled Batman's "Year One" in Batman Begins, I eagerly awaited what he would do for his year two, The Dark Knight. For me it seems the sequel is the ultimate payoff in a super hero movie. But like others have said I just have a hard time calling this film a "super hero movie." But that is where the problem is.

Batman was just not the same Batman I remember. Maybe it was the fact that I hated that new Bat-custom he was wearing. Maybe it was that he rarely used any of his detective skills and was more of a secret agent. Maybe because there was no Batcave. Maybe because he was quick to give up his secret identity after trying so hard to hide it in the first film. Yeah that's probably the fanboy in me nitpicking but to me I just couldn't help but notice this.

The Joker on the other hand was completely mindblowing. The one word that I came away with after the movie was...fear. He instilled fear in just about every scene that at times I felt sorry for the other criminals. Heath Ledger was incredible and utterly convincing as a psychotic and fearless killer this side of Hannibal Lecter. I'm just glad Nolan decided not to explain the Joker's origin. The Joker telling us how to smile was extremely chilling.

Eckhart's performance was very well performed as Dent and finally we got to see more of Goldman's Gordon. Overall a great performance by all and a great cameo of Cillian Murphy as the Scarecrow.

The action was great and the suspense was high even as the movie slowed a bit. However I agree the Hong Kong sequence seemed a bit unnecessary for the overall story and just put Bale's character more 007 than Batman.

4.5 Bat-stars!!!!

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
10+/10

Instant classic. Just a stunner of a film that transcends the genre. I wanted it to go for another hour when it was over. Easily the best film I've seen in at least 3 years, if not a decade.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Loved it. Talked about it for an hour at work today. Will be going again (which is rare for me).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
What can I say? An absolutely amazing motion picture. I loved everything about it and the two and a half hours flew by like no other movie of that length I've ever watched before. Ledger was so captivating that as soon as he came on screen I honestly forgot it was the late actor behind that makeup. For all intents and purposes he was actually The Joker and it was a performance for the ages. Saw it in IMAX which made the experience all the more impressive and I'm going to see it again tomorrow night. This was easily the best movie I've seen so far this year and it's already one of my favorites in recent memory. A very big :emoji_thumbsup:.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
This movie was excellent, I loved the story and was very surprised by some of the events in the movie. The acting was top notch all around, I'm not sure how I feel about Heath's Joker though. His Joker was very unique and creepy but also very different from the Jokers I'm used to. I can't wait to see this again, I'm sure I'm going to like Heath's Joker more, the more I watch it. This and Hellboy II are my favourite movies so far this year.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, which was nicely paced considering its length. I won't go so far as to say it's my favorite movie of the year. Even with its relentless pacing, I thought it was a bit over-ambitious in its storytelling, with so many characters and such general focus, that I never found myself completely invested in any of the characters except the Joker, who is far & away the most interesting character (and performance) in the film. He just dances above the plot mechanics, laughing all the way. He might hurt the rest of the cast (and film) just a little.

You could say The Dark Knight isn't really a "Batman" movie at all, but a movie about different characters' response to Gotham City crime, hopelessness, etc. Which is just fine with me.

I think that some of the overwhelmingly positive critical response is due to 1. The build-in enthusiasm of comic book fans for ANY material that legitimizes the comic book art form, and 2. The stodgy critic's expectation-surpassing "wow" that a really good film can "actually" be made with a "comic book source".

Expect Ledger to get an acting nomination, maybe more than one.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Two and a half hours of intense. Nothing more to add to what's already been said. One of the few films that lived up surpassed my expectations.

9.5/10

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Batman Begins has a lot to live up to. It follows the surprising Batman Begins. And it follows its own trailer: one of the best previews ever, which indicated a new Joker: farther from Tim Burton's Joker even than Batman is.

Joker meets my expectations; the movie as a whole does not.

Ledger's Joker was a revelation: first because he was quiet, savvy, even sensible. But also he is more insane and more dangerous than expected. Ledger's performance is dynamic, varied, and pitch perfect.

The plot is a slow burn. The Joker is introduced -- but never explained, in an unexpected twist, with no origins given. He ratchets up the ferocity, taking control of Gotham and putting the police and Batman off balance. There is a plot twist taking Batman to Hong Kong, chasing a certain criminal, ending with a superb escape scene. The vision of Batman's novel gadgets of unorthodox methods continues.

And The Dark Knight peaks with a vehicle chase and combat sequence. It has a quiet intensity: no musical scoring to underpin the action. The dialog is lean, with Batman silent and most of it from secondary police and the Joker burbling to himself. It is gripping. It is powerful.

But for me, the movie's slow burn was too slow. It drags on for another 45 minutes or so. I began to get a bit bored as what felt like its own sequel began in the movie itself. The conclusion lurches between the weakness of incongruent plotlines being jammed in to set us up for a sequel and the strength of the final dialog with Batman and the Joker and .

Weaknesses aside, this is an enjoyable movie. Nolan's incarnation of Batman continues to be fresh, exciting, and insightful. I look forward to the third installment.

Against my own expecations, it's 7/10. Trying to be fair, it's 8/10.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well here it is, my review of the biggest film of the year, maybe the decade?

Left Sandra at home and went with a mate and saw The Dark Knight. I thought it was a very good action film, but is it a good Batman film? I dunno, this is a straight forward action epic, apart from the Joker everyone is very serious, Batman looked almost out of place in his surroundings. Even Batman Begins had elements of fantasy, this entry jettisons almost everything remotely comic bookish and favours spectacular action setpieces similar to the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon series.

I had misgivings about Heath Ledgers Joker when I saw the trailers but I must admit he was pretty effective as a young psychotic constantly giggling Joker. Aaron Eckhart was good as Gothams White Knight Harvey Dent not so good when he turned to the dark side, which I thought was a little sudden and not all that believable.
Unluckily for Christian Bale the villains are the whole show, while he just appears now and than to pluck people to safety, the same thing happened in previous Batman films where Bruce Wayne and his alter ego would eventually became secondary characters. The growly voice wasn't a problem and makes sense if he wants to disguise his identity.

My favorite sequence featuring the Batman was - when he appears in the holding cell and beats the shit out of the Joker, more scenes like this in the next film please!
The action standout was a lengthy chase through the streets of Gotham, with Batman on his Batbike or Batpod or whatever it is, good stuff.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/80/htf_imgcache_33509.jpeg] [/url]

Gary Oldman, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman do their usual sterling work, but I have to say Maggie Gyllenhall must be one of the least attractive leading ladies ever to grace a huge summer movie.

All in all I'm glad I saw this behemoth on the big screen, 152mins did seem long, bits here and there could have been shortened or excised altogether and the film would have been pacier. So, to sum up, an excellent and enjoyable action film and my 2nd favorite superhero film of 2008. Looking forward to the DVD later this year. I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. :emoji_thumbsup:

PS. If there was a memorable music score somewhere in there I must have missed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks