What's new

The Dark Knight (2008) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn't really have a probelm with the Batman voice, as it was the same as Bale did in BB. It was Ledger's constant lip-smacking delivery that annoyed the hell out of me.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila

Personally I think Ledger gave his character a realistic edge talking like that considering Joker was supposed to have thick scars on both sides of his mouth. Have you ever heard someone just coming out of a big dental procedure talk? I have heard myself and it's odd.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
That 'lip smacking delivery' was one of the keys to the disturbing nature of the character, and I loved every moment of it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. I thought it was a brilliant "tick" for his character to have and it was far from annoying.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
For the first time, The Dark Knight grossed under $1 million on Wednesday, it's 41st day of release. It now stands at $492,688,931. I think it'll pass $500 million on Monday.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

I agree. But then why did Two-Face talk normally, when half of his face was burned off? Most people need lips to articulate, and he only had half. I loved the movie, but that was the only part that could've been improved, I think.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila

I think may be that was the only way to push the plot forward with the same sense of immediacy and without any distraction.

In a more realistic plot Harvey would probably go about his revenge after he is at least partially healed and develops a new way of talking with only half of his mouth working. But then that would not be as interesting in this movie.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

No, I guess it wouldn't.
Still, Two-Face having difficulty to articulate and seeing him in obvious pain, could really help to sympathize with him.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Finally caught up on this thread after seeing the movie forever ago. What can I say, I don't want to cover old ground but residency doesn't leave me much time to read huge behemoths like this one.

Anyway, overall I loved the movie, but I had one major problem with the ending. The movie puts it front and center that Batman doesn't kill. Joker does everything to make him break it ("Tonight you're gonna break your one rule") and it's [correctly] portrayed as a victory for Batman's morals that he doesn't, in the end, kill the Joker. So why then does the movie throw it all away with having Batman break said rule and actively kill Harvey not five minutes later? Say what you will about Batman's guilt in at Ghul's death (I didn't like that scene myself but can accept it), but there's no question that Batman killed in The Dark Knight. I'm kind of surprised that nobody else has mentioned this. Chuck Mayer and Chris Atkins even had the discussion about this earlier on page 23; with Chris asking "I wonder what choice Bruce would have made if the choice were kill a criminal and a murderer or Rachel dies?" and Chuck responding "So does he, I am sure. But he's Batman. He'd find a third option. He always does." What was the third option with Harvey? In the end, Joker won. Batman broke his one unbreakable rule. Am I the only one that really had a problem with this?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Like Batman said himself, he's not a hero. Looking at the lengths he will go to to accomplish a sense of justice, Batman is by no means a "hero", despite doing what he does for the sense of good. Batman may not even have known how much of a drop there was behind Harvey, as they established earlier that a high drop won't kill someone (like Sal Maroni, who ended up walking with a cane as a result of Batman dropping him) so on a technical level, Batman may have caused Harvey's demise, but I will never believe it was his intention to do so. His sole purpose at that moment was saving Gordon's son. Batman himself didn't know he would end up falling just like Harvey, with only that suit to protect him.

That's my I'm-half-asleep-so-why-am-I-awake-and-replying-to-an-important-question-response.

On that note, I close with this:

Amazon.com: The Dark Knight-Original Motion Picture Soundtrack(2 CD Special Edition): Dark Knight: Music

Zimmer fans can drool over this, a new 2-CD release of the soundtrack, released the same day as the film on DVD and Blu-ray.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
There wasn't a third option in this case. Batman had a couple of seconds to act. His intent was NOT to kill Dent...that is the difference. The Joker wanted Batman to WANT to kill. To do it. Harvey's death wasn't the Batman's fault. The Joker's would have have been. Harvey's was in defense of another. The Joker's would have been murder. That is the difference.

Harvey's death was an accident, a result of Batman acting quickly to save Gordon's kid. It was a consequence of the specific action Dent was doing at the time.

As for that soundtrack, you must be kidding me. I just bought the previous one a few months back, and this is $60 for 2 CD's. Hardly the deal the Complete Recordings are for LOTR. And while I like the TDK music...it's not even in that league. That price is insane, unless there is something major not mentioned.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Chuck nailed it. Batman doesn't intentionally kill. The intent is the key part of his character, not the fact of whether or not someone dies as a result of his (or the deceased's) actions.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
THE DARK KNIGHT Special Edition soundtrack details:

Disc: 1 (same as the original soundtrack, so it's a double-dip if anyone gets this)

1. Why So Serious?
2. I'm Not A Hero
3. Harvey Two-Face
4. Aggressive Expansion
5. Always A Catch
6. Blood On My Hands
7. A Little Push
8. Like A Dog Chasing Cars
9. I Am The Batman
10. And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad
11. Agent Of Chaos
12. Introduce A Little Anarchy
13. Watch The World Burn
14. A Dark Knight

Disc: 2

1. Bank Robbery (Prologue)
2. Buyer Beware
3. Halfway To Hong Kong
4. Decent Men In An Indecent Time
5. You're Gonna Love Me
6. Chance
7. You Complete Me
8. The Ferries
9. We Are Tonight's Entertainment
10. A Watchful Guardian
11. Why So Serious?(The Crystal Method Remix)
12. Poor Choice Of Words(Paul van Dyk Remix)
13. Gunpowder And Gasoline(Remix by Mel Wesson)
14. Rory's First Kiss(Remix by Ryeland Allison)

Product Description
'The Dark Knight: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack' returns with the ASCAP-winning composers from Batman Begins- Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard for a powerful orchestral score. The Special Edition features the complete score on two CD's plus four bonus remix tracks; it also contains an 8x8x40 page hardbound book.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the SE soundtrack. Is the only way to get the 2nd disc of music is to spend $50 for the SE?? I don't need the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks