What's new

The Dark Knight (2008) (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I finally got around to watching the prologue on the Blu-Ray tonight and HOLY BALLS!!! The picture and sound quality for those 6 min. may be the best content I've experienced on Blu-Ray yet. When TDK is released on the format it should be THE reference disc by which all others are measured. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brad M

Second Unit
Just got back from a sneak peak at the IMAX here in Tulsa. The film is really long! I loved the nod to some of the comics. Most of it was very subtle. The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke and A Death In The Family. That last one may not be on purpose. I just thought of poor Robin dieing when the Joker goes nuts with a crowbar.
I have watched the prologue over and over again on BD and was shocked that the IMAX version came off a bit blurry compared to it.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well, that blurriness is probably just the theater you saw it in, and no indication of the actual quality of the film.

Hey....THAT'S MY SIGNATURE!

Mine's more colorful :P :P

:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Dark Knight". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Dark Knight" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
For all these folks saying that The Dark Knight isn't the type of film that is nominated for nor wins Oscars, do keep in mind that fantasy epics like The Lord of The Rings weren't exactly Oscar bait either, and look how that turned out.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Oh, and the movie plays even better the second time around. And I second the comment above that if you can see it in IMAX, do so. Not only is it worth it for the IMAX shots themselves, but the 35mm segments looked far better in the IMAX print than they did at the screening I saw on Monday, which was slightly out of focus for the first twenty minutes or so.

Brad M

Second Unit
And I don't think the line we are both quoting is even read that way in the finished product. I think it's an edited version from a couple of scenes.

I'm going back at midnight tonight. I really look forward to seeing this again since I have a few unanswered questions. The audience reaction was awesome. People were both laughing and screaming at the same time! The girl next to me covered her eyes several times!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
So here we are. All of that build-up. I don't think we've seen the like since 2005 for RotS.

It's a nice feeling to have little butterflies as you get excited to see a film you have some previous investment in. I missed that

Anyways, no doubt I'll feel the compulsion to drop in some thoughts after I see the film. I know a bit of the plot structure, but not enough to be spoiled. I've watched the prologue and release trailers a few times, and caught the occasional commercial. Other than that, I feel pretty fresh for the film.

Very excited I am managing to see it in IMAX (DC) for the first showing. Hopefully, it lives up to the colossal word of mouth. Part of me is just excited to be so excited

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That was the best Marvel/DC they've done yet! :laugh:

The Oscar talk does have a wish-fulfillment element to it, but it didn't start that way. It started with on set reactions and comments from Michael Caine and Gary Oldman, before Ledger passed away even. Now that it seems the film is delivering the industry may see fit to honor it with several nominations. Every so often a large successful blockbuster transcends its genre and gets a lot of Oscar nominations; examples include Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., The Fugitive, The Sixth Sense, and the LOTR films.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Given the tenor of most of the other raves, Eberts seemed obtuse and somewhat dispassionate to me.
I recently re-watched his Begins review via youtube, and he was giddy and seemed on the verge of bouncing up and down in his chair as talked about what worked.
This review seems so much more detached and distant. I can only think it's either because he wanted to be careful not to spoil any thing at all, however minor, so he kept to broad generalities, or else he admires the film more than he actually enjoyed it.
I suppose it could also be a conscious effort to set his apart from all the others compelled to gush similar hyperbole over and over.
So for anyone headed to a midnight show- when you leaving?I'm planning to get to the theater about 9:30-10. I figure seating will be around 11:30, so I expect to have to wait in line more than an hour to grab a decent seat.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Paul,
I'm IMAXing at the only theater within 2 hours, so I'm getting there at about 9PM. Like a fool. But you only see a movie for the first time once. Might as well get the best seat possible.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Well, Batman Begins was a surprise. It's the Batman movie he was waiting for. The Dark Knight is a continuation of that and by his review just as great but will never beat the surprise of what Begins was to him.

Brad M

Second Unit
I'm going to talk about the end of this movie. I've been reading the Batman comics for years. This movie ends in a way that will cause a third movie to be a bit different.

The movie ends with the Batman on the run from the police. It is implied that Gordon is going to have to go after him in a third movie. A manhunt for Batman is about to begin. So with Batman on the run, what better character to call in as backup than Superman? Could this movie be a set up for a Batman vs. Superman movie? Is that something that we can even discuss here, now?

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm one hour away from seeing my local midnight showing. I think I'll probably come down with something tomorrow morning...*cough cough*....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks