What's new

*** Official THE CORE Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Unlike "Armageddon, which really did try to look as if it was serious.
You know I really don't see how people can say this. There was nothing serious about Armageddon, it was your typical summer blockbuster action-flick with all the usual cliches, stereotypes, and over-the-top action. If you didn't like Armageddon, that's fine. But don't try to say its biggest flaw is that it tries to be taken as a serious movie. If you watched it with that attitude you totally missed the point and probably shouldn't bother watching action flicks in the future.

That said, The Core looks too stupid to even be considered mindless fun based on the previews and what I've read about it. Serious or not, there's only so much absurdity I can take in a movie that is set in a fictitious version of the real world. Armageddon skated very close to that line, but the Core appears too go far beyond it.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention this in my review, but did anyone else notice just how bad the score was of this movie. I mean, it was seriously Meteor caliber. I was wondering why the movie reminded me of that film so much and I realized the score was the reason. Especially the shuttle crash.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Both Armageddon and The Core are stupid and silly. The comparison in and of itself is pretty stupid and silly, but trying to argue that one is better than the other?

As for Armageddon OR The Core EVER taking themselves seriously...uhhhhh, no. :)

Armageddon isn't more serious - it's more melodramatic. I'm not sure how many fake tears Affleck and Willis needed for their "goodbye" scene, but I understand they ordered in bulk. And then Bruce did it again saying goodbye to Liv. Not serious, but pretty clearly going for misty eyes with no apologies and no subtlety. Add to that the WONDERFUL (turn on your sarcasm meter) love story with Liv/Ben, or even the hilarious "reunion" of Will Patton and his son or the POWERFUL strains of the Trevor Rabin score...and you have hambone city.

The Core plays it only slightly different - less tears, more opportunities for heroics, etc. But, anyone who sees it as taking itself seriously isn't watching the same movie as I saw. "Unobtanium"? Tucci at his hammiest (and having one HELL of a fun time)? Torching a peach? Wild birds causing ridiculous havoc?

Two silly movies, two fun times. I saw Armageddon at a special midnight preview. A blast. I saw the Core at a packed late night Hollywood showing. A great time.

I will never watch either again unless I'm really tired, really bored, really lonely, AND really desperate.

Dave Wy

Auditioning
There is alot of discussion about movies such as this, Armeggedon, ID4, etc. and their questionable science. I think that all of these movies fall into the genre "Science FICTION". I think these movies are to be enjoyed, not over-analysized to death. I have not yet seen "The Core" due to my wife's reluctance to let me take my 8-year old, but I plan to soon. I don't think these things are meant to be taken too seriously, just enjoyed. Just my opinion.
Dave

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think that all of these movies fall into the genre "Science FICTION".
Contrary to what you imply, the term "science fiction" does NOT mean that you can say "the hell with the laws of physics and science in general. I'll make up my own fictional laws of physics that defy known physical laws without explanation". Nor does the "fiction" label mean that you can make up your own rules of logic and rational behavior.

These films are more properly labeled as Hollywood fantasies.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Contrary to what you imply, the term "science fiction" does NOT mean that you can say "the hell with the laws of physics and science in general. I'll make up my own fictional laws of physics that defy known physical laws without explanation". Nor does the "fiction" label mean that you can make up your own rules of logic and rational behavior.
For example, the Armageddon shuttles fired thrusters in proper accordance with the laws of physics. The people in Armageddon were not paralyzed the second they equalized the pressure in the airlock. Therefore my point is still valid that Armageddon is far more accurate than The Core when it comes to physics

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There you go again.

No matter how "advanced" those "shuttles" in Armageddon were, space vehicles cannot perform aerobatic manuevers in space. End of story. QED.

So, in Internet lingo, "What RobertR said."

Science fiction is fiction involving the effects of science on humanity. For it to be "science fiction," the science must be plausible. And for it to be good fiction, its internal logic must be consistent.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
space vehicles cannot perform aerobatic manuevers in space. End of story. QED.
Why not? As long as you fired the thrusters properly it should work fine. I'm not saying you're wrong Jack, but I can't figure out why it couldn't work with vectored thrust and maneuvering thrusters

Obviously there are certain things that require air

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
space vehicles cannot perform aerobatic manuevers in space. End of story. QED.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not?
Because there is no air in space. The prefix "aero" in aerobatic refers to AIR. Now, if you said the shuttles could perform thrust vectoring manuevers, that would be a different thing.

But they didn't. They performed manuevers that require the presence of AIR.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Newtonian physics come into play in free space. Ain't no ship going to move like it does in Armageddon in space.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Hilarious thread.

I love Armegeddon.

I have since started reading sci-fi, and learnt what the genre was really about - I used to think Star Wars was sci-fi.

However, I still love Armegeddon for what it is. The Core will probably get the same reaction from me. I can see the objections of the sci-fi freaks but they need to realise that these things aren't really important for everyone, nor should they expect them to be...

[EDIT]ed to add: ...in these kind of movies.

--
Holadem

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Holadem, that's great news. If you'd like to discuss literary SF some more I'd love to see a thread in AH.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

I appended my comments to an existing 4 page sci-fi thread in AHL a couple of months ago. I can't find it now without the search function. I had just read Childhood's End in one siting (something that hadn't happened in years) so much I was enthralled by it. I went out and got Rendez-vous with Rama and the City and the Stars, all very good, though none touches Childhood's End. I am onto a Canticle for Leibowitz and Foundation now.

I would love a new thread, but wouldn't be able to contribute much... yet :)

--
Holadem

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, start the darn thread and the more experienced SF readers will be happy to contribute. And A Canticle for Leibowitz is, according to most SF-critics' polls, the best of the best. (It's a literary classic as well as an SF classic.)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
You know, if _I_ was gonna put on a suit that was good for 5,000 degrees, and walk into an exhaust pipe that was heated to 9,000 degrees, I'd borrow a second suit, and have 2x the insulation...

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I still really want to see this but cant seem to find anyone to go.
If I hated Armaggedon will I hate this?
Is it really Bruckheimer-ish?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's not Bruckheimer-ish.

But if you hate Armageddon, this is Armageddon with a dash of Fantastic Voyage except instead of stompling on an astronomy textbook, they dump gasoline and burn a geology book

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks