What's new

*** Official THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

Unfortunately, this is the problem with the film. It is NOT a "b-movie". It's a $105 million mega-epic that is trying to set up an entire universe with its own share of history, prophecy, and other epic staples along the lines of LotR and Dune.

There is a LOT of information in this film, and a ton of details about stuff that is more than interesting. But, I think, despite good intentions, Twohy overreached.

I'll reserve final judgement until I see a sequel...IF we see one. A $24 mil weekend does not bode well.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I love ya, and I often agree with you, and I'm not going to defend Riddick as a great movie, but I do think you're being WAY too hard on Vin. When I read this part that was quoted:

I haven't seen Boiler Room, but even if he never did anything else, he'd always be The Iron Giant to me. "I am not a gun."

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Doesn't "under-verse" sound pretty silly?

Did I miss exactly why that guy kept a knife in his back?

If you kill the Lord Marshall, do you automatically get his nifty powers?

I did like the look with the faces, but it was a bit overdone, in terms of the Necromongers' choice of decor. Speaking of which, it's pretty dangerous to have all those spikes around the room. Someone could run into one and put their eye out.

Pitch Black spoiler: I guess Twohy has no problem with killing off the hot babe. The first time, it might be partly to be anti-Ripley, but now it is turning into a bad habit

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I kind of liked the movie. The prison stuff more than the necromonger stuff.

I wanted Thandie Newton to be good (and wearing less clothing) but she wasn't.

Yes, underverse sounds silly.

No, I didn't get the knife in the back thing either.

Okay, I'm curious, who do we know those people as?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Nope...only the ones who chose to name themselves "VIN DIESEL"! :)

You make a very good point, but if I became an actor and changed my name from Scott Weinberg to Sax Kerosene...I wouldn't be stunned if a few people joked about it. :D

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I haven't seen Chronicles of Riddick yet, but I wonder what 15 minutes Twohy will add to the director's cut for DVD (Twohy's first cut for CoR ran almost three hours long). I hope to see Riddick sometime this week.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Hulk Hogan

Says a lot about my taste in films that those were the first two I recognized ;)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Archibald Leach - Cary Grant
Alphonso Joseph D'Abruzzo - Alan Alda
Allan Stewart Konigsberg - Woody Allen
Frederick Austerlitz - Fred Astaire
Betty Joan Perske - Lauren Bacall
Charles Buchinski - Charles Bronson
Taidje Khan - Yul Brynner
Thomas Mapother IV - Tom Cruise
Carlton Ridenhour - Chuck D
Terry Gene Bollea - Hulk Hogan

Wikipedia stage names, lots of fun.

Rob T

Screenwriter
It was ok, but certainly not as good as Pitch Black. I hope Twohy is given a chance to finish off the trilogy though.

It's a shame that they killed off Keith Davids character. He was pretty much the best part about the whole movie, imo.

How come the original actor who played Jack didn't come back?
She apparently did the voice for the DTV cartoon.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hate to say, but I enjoyed this one. I thought Pitch Black was a wonderful little sleeper sci-fi. COR was bit more bloated but all in all I felt it worked and I'm there for the next installment.

KyleK

Second Unit
I have to say that, while not exactly the best scifi movie ever, it was definetly worth my 6 bucks and I will get the DVD if it's a director's cut. I was left wanting more plot and charachterization that I know was left on the cutting room floor. Sure it's got some flaws: Diesel's acting on occasion, shaky camera quick-cut action, silliness of the Necromongers and their quest for the "underverse," questionable or unexplainged logic (i.e. guy with knife in his back, outrunning the sunrise, etc.) But for every flaw there was equal awesomeness: Diesel's general coolness when he keeps his mouth shut, great unique production design, great special effects, Lord Marshal's cool powers, Imam (Keith David), Kyra, the repetition of the "Riddick's ladyfriend dies at the end" theme, etc.

What do you guys think the chances for a new installment are?

Kyle:D

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

It really depends. I think the $24 million opening is solid and better than a lot of people expected. If it can make it to $75 million domestic then I would expect the movie to be profitable after overseas grosses and DVD is accounted for. Whether its profitable enough for a sequel- that's a whole 'nother story. If they want to up their salaries and the budget then no way. A sequel made for approx the same cost or even less (maybe a return to a smaller, Pitch Black sized film) could still be a profitable venture though.

Colton

Supporting Actor
My wife and I went to see it this weekend (she's a Vin fan) and my expectations weren't very high, but I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable the movie was.

It's a great popcorn flick for getting out of the sun. Take your kids - they'll love the action and the brillant sci-fi atmosphere.

Definately keeps the story wide-open for a sequel. :emoji_thumbsup:

Overall score: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think so. He was the 6th Lord Marshall. This wasn't fully explained. I kind of liked it that way.

Easy on Scott, folks. He, more than any other critic I know or read, gives EVERY film a chance. If he wants to tease an actor...who gives a s***?!? :D

Take care,
Chuck

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for the backup, Chuck, but it was just a friendly little argument. Everyone knows I have my own "cheeseball genre favorites" so obviously I'm no snob when it comes to something like Riddick. This particular one did nada for me. Other than bored me. ;)

Just remember, everyone: I REALLY like Armageddon! :D:D

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

The impression I got is that the Necromongers are so into desensitizing themselves from pain that the guy probably didn't even realize he had a knife in his back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks