*** Official THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Two words, fellas:

Battlefield Earth

Yup. I said it. [​IMG]

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

SIGH

3. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Say it ain't so, Scott! Say it ain't so! [​IMG]

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    But it stars Dame Judi. How can it be bad?

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I went into pitch black with very low expectations, did not even really know much about the movie. I ended up enjoying it. Part of the reason was because Riddick was mysterious and not necessarily the central attention of the movie.

I think this one is trying to capitalize off the first unforseen success and it's just not going to work.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hey, she's gotta eat.

Still, Twohy has earned a heck of a lot of benefit of the doubt from me. He's one of the best science-fiction directors out there.

7. Adam Portrais

Adam Portrais Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, saw it last night and I have to agree with Steve, it sucks pretty hard. Sitting in the theater I could even guess what line Riddick was going to say next.

Riddick: "There's only one way out of here...."

Me: "My way."

Riddick: "...My way."

Me: *Covers eyes and shakes head with disbelief*

Here's a very small spoiler (if you have half a brain, you'll figure this one out less than 20 min into this crap train)
    When you find out that these people keep what they kill, you can basically guess the rest of the movie. And you would be right.

[​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

While it isn't the smartest film on the planet, this movie doesn't deserve that. I thought it was a lot of fun, and very much worth seeing. It is a solid, B level, science fiction movie. I'll be seeing it again at some point.

It is far better than Van Helsing, that's for sure. Now there's a film that should be compared to Battlefied Earth.

Jason

9. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Funny you say that Scott, because I was thinking the exact same thing when watching the trailers. I'll still go see it because I dig Sci-Fi and love going to the movies. [​IMG]

10. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

It hurts me to see talented people flush good money down the toilet.

This won't be a disaster on par with Battlefield Earth, which had no artistic merit...but it will be a disaster - this film is heading into Waterworld territory, because I suspect it has shreds of competency, and yet, is still bloody awful. It is a first class example of a sequel no one wanted to see made in the first place.

If I were Joss Whedon, shooting Firefly: the Movie, or anyone who invested in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, I'd be pissing in my pants right about now.

11. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Ernest,you and I are in complete agreement on this one. Here's my review.

As always, I hope those who are psyched to see it do enjoy it. A few of my critic pals liked it quite a bit, so I guess this one will split us right down the middle.

12. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Great review Scott. I yearn to see half-decent action/sci-fi flicks, but it seems Hollywood just can't make them. I'm not asking for "Aliens", but something w/just a little substance. Thowy really showed promise w/"The Arrival" & the first "Pitch Black". I'd hoped he'd use the big budget this time to good use. I guess not.

13. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

how can you say his 15 minutes are almost up?

Ever hear of an actor by the name of "Keanu reeves" The guy is a TERRIBLE actor, but finds himself in the right roles.

That's all Vin has to do.

14. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Keanu isn't a terrible actor. Like Bill Paxton, he simply has a very limited vocal range, which limits the roles he can portray convincingly. Modern fare, yes. Period roles, accents, and Shakespeare, no. When he is working within his range, he is a charming and welcome presence on the screen. Heck, I thought he was perfect in the first Matrix.

15. Fred Bang

Fred Bang Stunt Coordinator

I thought Keanu Reeves was also surprisingly good in THE DEVIL'S ADVOCATE with Al Pacino.

As for Riddick, the XBox games seems to be a lot deeper and well made than the movie itself.

16. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Posted my review. I liked it.

Take that, Weinberg!!! You hack [​IMG]

The game is excellent, so far. I thought the movie was a visual treat, in search of a more cohesive story. The story itself was OK, but the bits we were given should have been better addressed.

I'll happily take a big-budget Twohy over most of the directors that get big budgets these days. At least I'll see stuff I've never seen.

Take care,
    Chuck

17. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, Harry posted his review:

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=17760

I can't really disagree with most of his points (Tho I do like the set design, and I don't have a thing against Colm Feore, which Harry seems to.)

The biggest problem with the film, and what prevents this from being a great film, rather than a good one, is the fact that Twoley seems to defer a lot of development of things outside of Riddick. If this is something he did because he expects to do it in other films, then maybe it will be ok, but it is a risky thing. It certainly doesn't help a movie stand up on its own.

I also didn't like

I guess so. While I can understand it may not be to some people's taste, I can't imagine someone equating this to the pure awfulness of Battlefield Earth. Sorry, but I've seen worse films this year (Van Helsing) that didn't approach that level of awfulness.

Jason

18. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Odd. I thought Newton did rather well. But that just might be my hormones talking, as she looked UNBELIEVABLE!

On another quote, as another criticism of a film I liked...never, never, never, never, NEVER using WWF moves during a movie. NEVER. It will never be cool.

That is all,
    Chuck

19. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    KG,
    Good point about the action scenes. I cited those as a real problem, and it might have been the rating. When your hero loves shivs...it's tough to stay in the PG-13 realm [​IMG]

Take care,
    Chuck

20. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Maybe that's the reason why people have problems with it. Me, I really bought into the world Twoley created here.

Jason