*** Official THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Brian Harnish, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Dec 15, 2000

Just got back from seeing The Butterfly Effect. I was pleasantly surprised -- a very good film with excellent performances from everyone. Even Ashton Kutcher surprised me.

I'm not too fond of Ashton Kutcher other than for his role in That 70s Show. However, he turns in an excellent performance as Evan Treborn. It's a surprising twist on his usual roles but he executes it very well. However, some of That 70s Show does show through. It's not enough to detract from enjoying the film, however.

The rest of the cast turns in very good performances as well -- including Amy Smart as Kayleigh Miller (Evan's childhood love that seems to be the catalyst in Evan and his friends' lives). She's instantly becoming one of my favorite actresses. I can't wait to see what's in store for her. She's very pretty and talented to boot!

I thought the directors handled the execution of this film's premise really well. I have heard rumors of them changing the ending for the DVD release but I think it's fine just the way it is. A poignant, well-executed ending to an already dark film. I really don't see how they could make a better ending unless they opt for the Hollywood style they-lived-happily-ever-after ending. And I think that would detract from the whole premise and message that the film is sending.

One of my favorite films of this year so far. I'm glad I saw it and I'll definitely be seeing it again.

Rating: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] 1/2 out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Dec 9, 1998
    This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Butterfly Effect". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

3. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Mar 4, 2001
    This was quite an excellent film, and it was definitely worth the wait after all the delays of its release. Everyone in the film gave very strong performances. Kutcher, who I have no problem with, turns in a wonderful and emotional performance here. Amy Smart, one of my favorite actresses, is great as well just as I expected.

The film's intriguing premise makes for a great storyline, and it was very interesting to see play out. The characters go through a lot of hell in this film. The film has some disturbing moments in it too. One that particularly got to me involved a dog. Its quite a dark film, not very pleasant at all. Subject matter such as this demands to be treated in a dark manner, and the film captures that mood very well, and its only reinforced by the troubled performances of the cast.

This is an excellent film with a powerful message, and I'm very glad that it didn't disappoint me. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    I got a litttle bored with this film. It putt-putts along, sort of a fusion between "Groundhog Day" and "The Outer Limits" with none of the charm, and it just scratches the surface of a fertile premise.

The only thing good about Kutcher's performance is that he keeps it ground, no silly smirks or comical outburst from his TV background shows up. Otherwise, any decent young actor could have done this role.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.